PDA

View Full Version : A Juco Guard appears on Radar

BobZag
02-22-2010, 09:22 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Marquise-Carter-105300?colleges=show#college_choices

Some kid at Three Rivers CC.

BroncoZAG615
02-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Saw an article on this kid a few weeks ago and it seemed like Wichita State is the odds on favorite. It mentioned Gonzaga but I think we are talking to every junior college guard at this point.

BobZag
02-22-2010, 09:35 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com:80/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Tony-Smith-105305

http://cjonline.com:80/interact/blog/austin_meek/2010-02-10/tony_smith_0

75Zag
02-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Guessing this kid had academic issues coming out of high school. Nice and tall for a point guard if he has the rest of the package. If he came out of high school in 07, how much elegibility would he have left?

Hometown San Diego, CA
High School Horizon High School
Height 6'4"
Weight 190 lbs.

Scouts Grade: 40

Evaluation:

Carter is truly a hidden gem and one of the better still-available senior guards in the Class of 2007. He is a very solid mid-major level prospect....

BroncoZAG615
02-22-2010, 09:42 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com:80/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Tony-Smith-105305

Wow. I've heard about this kid before and never really thought we were in play. He's definitely one of the most prized junior college guards in the country.

I assumed he would land in the Big 12 somewhere. This would be a great get for the staff.

BobZag
02-22-2010, 09:44 AM
It's clear what the staff is looking at for 2010. A blind man can see it.

CDC84
02-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Looks like Smith is visiting for the USF game........

What other schools are recruiting you?

"It's a lot. I don't know if you want me to name 'em all."

Give me a few.
"K-state, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Cincinnati, Gonzaga, Texs A&M, Wichita State, Florida, USC ..."

You warned me.
"It's like 38 in all

Same juco league that JP Batista played in.

U Zig, I Zag
02-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Looks like Smith is visiting for the USF game........

Same juco league that JP Batista played in.

Rivals says we offered... that correct?

Therunner
02-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Rivals says we offered... that correct?

Looks like it. Tony Smith appears to be the perfect fit for what this team needs next season: he's big(6'4"), strong, athletic, solid defender, terrific vision(nearly 7apg), can score(15ppg in very competitive JUCO league).

Sign him up!

Enjoyed this little snippet from Tony:

"I'm trying to what most players can't do -- impact the game as much as I can without scoring. I just like to make plays.

BobZag
02-22-2010, 02:21 PM
His 3-point shooting % is a lowly 31%.

Zags need shooters. 31% is below average. Unless I'm reading it wrong, there has to be better out there That's 31% at the Juco level, no less.

http://njcaa.org/colleges_college_player.cfm?sid=4&collegeid=1340&category=Roster&slid=2&teamid=93470&athleteid=224788

d2zag
02-22-2010, 04:21 PM
58% from the charity stripe. I don't know about that...

thespywhozaggedme
02-22-2010, 04:30 PM

30's from 3 and 50's from the free throw line, for a pg....uh, don't we have that already? His assists are good though.

d2zag
02-22-2010, 04:42 PM
30's from 3 and 50's from the free throw line, for a pg....uh, don't we have that already? His assists are good though.

So you wanna go for the same thing? Or go for someone who is better in those areas?

Jedster
02-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Slipper Still Fits, says he's left his team, wonder what's up with that?

thespywhozaggedme
02-22-2010, 06:23 PM
So you wanna go for the same thing? Or go for someone who is better in those areas?

7apg or 1.3 apg? If everything else is equal, you go for the guy that drops dimes, but as Bob said, it looks like he may be a backup, backup plan.

BobZag
02-22-2010, 06:30 PM
I like his overall stats. Well rounded. Bouldin-like. Maybe he's the guy the staff likes most. The team may need help from a kid who can run offense and be big, strong enough to get through traffic to the rim. I have no idea what priority any of these guys are. But Smith could be the best, despite 3% and ft%.

We'll see.

NotoriousZ
02-22-2010, 07:45 PM
7apg or 1.3 apg? If everything else is equal, you go for the guy that drops dimes, but as Bob said, it looks like he may be a backup, backup plan.

We've got Gray, Gibbs, Meech, GJ, and Arop(G/SF) for next year. This guy would be a backup, backup, backup plan in my book. I think we'll have great assist numbers next year, not from one player but as a team. Gray, Manny, and KO have shown that they can find the open man, and another year of practice will help our point guards in that area. GG really surprised me this year and I think he'll make a big impact next season.

U Zig, I Zag
02-22-2010, 07:54 PM

This season that is better than most! :)

btzag
02-22-2010, 08:21 PM
I agree with Notorious, we've got plenty of guards and wings so why add another guy at probably that same skill level in? I especially don't understand throwing a JC guard in the mix unless they are looking for a bigger playing time headache than they will already have.

Weird.

cjm720
02-23-2010, 06:55 AM
I agree with Notorious, we've got plenty of guards and wings so why add another guy at probably that same skill level in? I especially don't understand throwing a JC guard in the mix unless they are looking for a bigger playing time headache than they will already have.

Weird.

+1

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-23-2010, 07:23 AM
Unless the team can get a player who is demonstrably better overall than the current point guard, I can't see using a scholarship on a JUCO player at that position. We have a lot of pretty good, young players who are waiting and competing with each other for playing time at the guard spots. One of them is likely to emerge as a great player and there will be plenty of other good players ready to pick up additional minutes. I'd prefer to use the scholarships to build for the longer term future than to use them on players who will be gone in a year or two.

Then again, Quentin Hall and Dan Dickau were point guards who came to Gonzaga as transfers. Hall, in particular, looked like he'd be riding pine behind the entrenched point guard, Matt Santangelo. They were pretty good additions to the team.

Therunner
02-23-2010, 08:19 AM
The more I think about it, the more I question the need for another guard. It just doesn't make much sense. BZ mentioned we could use another "big" guard who can take it to the hoop since our PG's are small. Considering we are at least two-deep at both guard positions(PG-Meech/GJ; SG-Gray/Gibbs/+Manny too). Why another guard? The staff must know something we don't know as it relates to our current lineup.

I'd prefer the staff secure another BIG who can step in for Sacre/Harris/Dower, especially since Olynyk will move back 'n forth from SF to PF next season. How 'bout another Kuso who can provide energy, hustle, rebounding, shot-blocking presence--basically, someone to fill Foster's void for next season. Another guard seems like the last thing we need. I know Bouldin is gone, but why try to replace him when its impossible. Allow GG and GJ to develop and get more PT. Just my opinion.

BobZag
02-23-2010, 08:47 AM
It'll become clearer when the season ends.

U Zig, I Zag
02-23-2010, 08:49 AM
It'll become clearer when the season ends.

The WCC is switching to 6 on 6, isn't it. I knew it!

75Zag
02-23-2010, 09:15 AM
BobZ's mysterious posts are one of the best parts of this board.

"It'll become clearer when the season ends."

Sounds like somebody (an underclassman guard I assume) may be leaving GU for elsewhere? NOTE that I am NOT trying to start this as a rumor, I am just trying to decode BobZ's post.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

cjm720
02-23-2010, 09:25 AM
So if a Freshman trasnfers OOC at the end of the year, how many years of eligibility left? 3? Would a RS Freshman have 2?

I really hope it's not Gray ;)

Mr Vulture
02-23-2010, 09:46 AM
I would assume that the coaches know more about the makeup of this team than we know. I am not speaking from a position of knowledge, but I could see a player or two possibly leaving after the season to find more playing time ala Andy Poling. To me, I would think that GJ or Grant could be guys that could consider transferring although I think that both could develop into good players.

I think that GJ is the most likely to leave because he will be behind Meech for most of his career. Additionally, minutes will be limited next year behind Meech, Gray, Arop, and possibly Gibbs.

Again, I am not hoping guys leave...I just think that the coaching staff may know something that we don't know about the players plans.

zaguarxj
02-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Gibbs has already used his redshirt year, so he would only have 2 years of elegibility after sitting out another year. I just don't see this happening.

bigblahla
02-23-2010, 10:23 AM
I don't see anyone transferring as much as I think that coach and staff don't feel secure in the point position with Matt leaving.

To me GJ and or Grant can do the job but they have to given the chance. Meech could do it but he seems to have a real hard time anticipatng and making entry passes to the post and this will be even more of a must next year with the addition of Sam in the paint.

The problem is winning the conference next year and coach and staff may feel we need more fire power to hold off LMU and SMC. LMU will have Garibay their center back and when you add Rob Jones and Trumaine Johnson to SMC and they become downright formidable.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-23-2010, 10:56 AM
I shouldn't second-guess the coaching staff regarding their use of scholarships on transfers and JUCO players. The staff has picked up some really good players as JUCO/regular transfers in recent years. I believe Kuso, Ira Brown, Alex Hernandez, JP Batista, Paul Rogers, and Quentin Hall were all JUCO/CC transfers. Dan Dickau, Erroll Knight, Micah Downs, Jeff Brown, and Richard Fox were school to school transfers. I guess if the staff finds somebody like that, they ought to take him.

The 2010/2011 season might be one of the best lineups that Gonzaga ever fields. Elias Harris might be an All American during the coming season and could very well leave after next season. The staff might view the coming season as their best chance to make a deep Elite Eight/Final Four tourney run. Under those circumstances, I can see picking up a fully developed player, especially if he provides the final necessary piece to field a Final Four worthy team.

Either way, if they think they found a player worthy of a scholarship, he's probably pretty good.

RockandRollJames
02-23-2010, 11:43 AM
BobZ's mysterious posts are one of the best parts of this board.

"It'll become clearer when the season ends."

Sounds like somebody (an underclassman guard I assume) may be leaving GU for elsewhere? NOTE that I am NOT trying to start this as a rumor, I am just trying to decode BobZ's post.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

If anybody it would be GJ, guaruntee it.

dim4sum
02-23-2010, 02:12 PM
With Bouldin gone next year, who has the most leadership potential Gibbs or Arop. I feel one of two will start and my bets are on Arop because he can help in more ways than Gibbs. On the downside, he may not have the calming, stabilizing presence a final four team needs/

RockandRollJames
02-23-2010, 02:52 PM
With Bouldin gone next year, who has the most leadership potential Gibbs or Arop. I feel one of two will start and my bets are on Arop because he can help in more ways than Gibbs. On the downside, he may not have the calming, stabilizing presence a final four team needs/

I would agree that Arop should start between the two next year. He plays with much more passion and can help in more ways. Personally, I don't really see much leadership coming from either. The leadership is probably going to have to come from someone else.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-23-2010, 04:02 PM
I would agree that Arop should start between the two next year. He plays with much more passion and can help in more ways. Personally, I don't really see much leadership coming from either. The leadership is probably going to have to come from someone else.

Harris will be the leader.

bigblahla
02-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Gibbs is my bet if he can get his act together defensively, that's what keeps him off the court.

He is an astute passer but hasn't aged between the ears enough to understand that his high school tricks are probable turnovers in D1. he needs to speed up his game and be more selective in his use of the bounce pass, great weapon but not if they expect it. Hasn't shot enough to make any determination as to his true offensive capabilities but I think we might all be surprised by him in an expanded roll.

Manny is the epitome of your 6th man and should never start, he changes the game when he enters and charges up his teammates.

Good enough to start?

Yes, but basketball is a game of ebb and flow and Manny's strategic value would be coming off the bench and firing up the team with an energy burst and increased tempo.

The missing link in all this is Mr. Kong.

It's painful to watch him relearn his offensive game. You can tell he's played with inferior competition because he's developed horrible habits that will be hard to break but you can see the potential. Kong oozes offensive dynamite he just needs to find his game, find his confidence, play some hoop and have some fun.

I would like to think GJ came to play and will stick and get his because he earns it. I think he's an immense talent who needs to hone his offensive skills but more importantly embrace his roll on the team because if he does it will expand. His ability to drive and play above the rim in the paint will open up lots of offensive opportunities for himself and his teammates.

Meech is a defensive stopper, a speed demon, a proven weapon. However, there's a huge hole in his game, more than his shooting or free throws, as I stated above he has not shown the ability to anticipate and make the entry pass to the post when they flash open. Accurate timely passing is job #1 of a point guard.

Next year we'll have weapons in the paint that could prove to be almost unstoppable if the ball is delivered to them at the right time in the right position.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

MickMick
02-23-2010, 07:36 PM
With respect to guards, the Zags are chock full of passers, rebounders, defenders, and ball handlers.

Unless the guy is a scoring machine, it will just be another guy that will confuse the situation and steal development from someone we already have.

d2zag
02-23-2010, 08:42 PM
With respect to guards, the Zags are chock full of passers, rebounders, defenders, and ball handlers.

Unless the guy is a scoring machine, it will just be another guy that will confuse the situation and steal development from someone we already have.

Exactly.

UberZagFan
02-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Uber hates all of these what about next year threads that go up everyday on this board during the season. . .BUT...

Another guard? Are you kiddin' Uber? He's got to agree with the plethora of posters above: that's the last thing this team needs next year.

Gray will be back, right? Meech? Gibbs? Arop? Uber can see GJ boltin' but that's no reason to get scared.

This team needs to play bigger. Uber's tired of seeing this team play small with the height it has over the past 3 years. Daye playing the 4? Uber got tired of it. Last thing we need to see is Harris (assuming he comes back for another year) playing the 4 next year. As stated above, this team needs a Kuso, or better yet, a JP to own the block. Maybe Dower is that guy, but if so, then still Harris should be at the 3 with all the other returning 2/3s playing the 2 (Kong/Arop included).

adoptedzag
02-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Uber hates all of these what about next year threads that go up everyday on this board during the season. . .BUT...

Another guard? Are you kiddin' Uber? He's got to agree with the plethora of posters above: that's the last thing this team needs next year.

Gray will be back, right? Meech? Gibbs? Arop? Uber can see GJ boltin' but that's no reason to get scared.

This team needs to play bigger. Uber's tired of seeing this team play small with the height it has over the past 3 years. Daye playing the 4? Uber got tired of it. Last thing we need to see is Harris (assuming he comes back for another year) playing the 4 next year. As stated above, this team needs a Kuso, or better yet, a JP to own the block. Maybe Dower is that guy, but if so, then still Harris should be at the 3 with all the other returning 2/3s playing the 2 (Kong/Arop included).

+1

1973Zag
02-24-2010, 05:16 AM
possibly the coaches are thinking we have plenty of 2-3's, but our real 1's are either short/fast/good D/not great shooters(GJ-DG), or tall/slower/ave.D/great passer/better shooters.(GG) Might b looking for tall/good D/fast/great passer. Get all good point guard assets in one player, and leave the shooting to SG,MA,BK, etc. Even without being a great shooter, the size, ability to get to the hoop and quickness would make defenders have to play him honestly. When I see the number and quality of schools interested in this kid, do you really think he would be on the bench wasting a scholarship? Bet the coaches know what they are doing

theothegreat21
02-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Now I know this might be blasphemous talk....but perhaps everyone should remember that Coach Few and the coaching staff sees each one of these guards we have discussed every single day in practice. If there is anyone who knows what this team is missing....or perhaps the limitations of some of the guys on the roster for next year...it's probably Mark Few, right?

I love some of the generalizations and assumptions that are made about the guys on the team. I like how despite only playing 196 minutes and scoring 46 points in his entire Gonzaga career, we all assume that the reason Grant isn't playing more is because of his defense. Perhaps....and this is just a perhaps....the coaching staff who sees Grant EVERY SINGLE DAY in practice, has noticed that he might not be able to score at this level of competition. That doesn't mean that Grant can't be a nice role player, but perhaps the coaching staff wants to replace the production of Matt with another scoring guard. If you look at this Tony Smith recruit...he averages around 15/7 at the JUCO level. His production is strikingly similar to Matt Bouldin.

It might be smart to have some faith in the evaluations of the guys who see our players every single day at practice, instead of generalizing how we think each guy will develop based on a limited sample size.

cjm720
02-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Now I know this might be blasphemous talk....but perhaps everyone should remember that Coach Few and the coaching staff sees each one of these guards we have discussed every single day in practice. If there is anyone who knows what this team is missing....or perhaps the limitations of some of the guys on the roster for next year...it's probably Mark Few, right?

I love some of the generalizations and assumptions that are made about the guys on the team. I like how despite only playing 196 minutes and scoring 46 points in his entire Gonzaga career, we all assume that the reason Grant isn't playing more is because of his defense. Perhaps....and this is just a perhaps....the coaching staff who sees Grant EVERY SINGLE DAY in practice, has noticed that he might not be able to score at this level of competition. That doesn't mean that Grant can't be a nice role player, but perhaps the coaching staff wants to replace the production of Matt with another scoring guard. If you look at this Tony Smith recruit...he averages around 15/7 at the JUCO level. His production is strikingly similar to Matt Bouldin.

It might be smart to have some faith in the evaluations of the guys who see our players every single day at practice, instead of generalizing how we think each guy will develop based on a limited sample size.

So you have talked to Mark Few and he believes Grant Gibbs is an offensive and defensive liability that will only be a role player? I see this as the same type of conjecture or generalization. Hey you may be right. Personally, I hope you're not.

sonuvazag
02-24-2010, 10:40 AM
This was posted by ZagNative on 1/25 based on Tom Hudson radio show.

Of Grant Gibbs, Few said he has a great feel for the game, but that they're trying to get him playing harder on defense. Few said, "He's a defensive liability every time he goes in. If he can change his defensive effort, he'll earn more minutes."

theothegreat21
02-24-2010, 11:15 AM
So you have talked to Mark Few and he believes Grant Gibbs is an offensive and defensive liability that will only be a role player? I see this as the same type of conjecture or generalization. Hey you may be right. Personally, I hope you're not.

Sorry I didn't make it more clear....I took the offense/defensive liability from previous posts in the thread.

bigblahla
02-24-2010, 11:22 AM

No offense meant but by this time If you can't identify individual strengths and weaknesses of current Zags getting PT you're not seeing, just watching.

Go!! Zags!!!

U Zig, I Zag
02-24-2010, 11:44 AM
No offense meant but by this time If you can't identify individual strengths and weaknesses of current Zags getting PT you're not seeing, just watching.

Go!! Zags!!!

99.9% of us just have the eye test going on and those lucky enough to go to games can see the camaraderie (or lack thereof) before games in warmups, who has got a nice stroke, etc. It's fair to say we are all speculating on most conversations.

for my money GG/GJ will come in to sub for Meech next year. We lose some of the defensive prowess (GJ is really fast too though) but we get better passers, playmakers, shooters in exchange.

It wouldn't surprise me if we brought in a straight-up outside scorer for a bench threat. Gray is our 'bomber' and this year he has bombed some. We need a gunner but it depends on someone leaving...

My preference is for some Kuso/human pogo stick type down low to help with our (mostly) grounded 7 footer. He doesn't even have to shoot well... just hustle.

The players owe the team/coaches but the coaches owe the kids something as well. Harris' future is at the 3 and I hope GU can place him at that spot for his potential at the next level. I hope we can get him there without losing anything down low, however.

cjm720
02-24-2010, 12:15 PM
My thoughts before the season and now is that our best chance at a Final 4 will be in the 2011/2012.

This year's team has put us in the discussion, in large part due to Harris' play, for a potential run (MB's the glue, but without Harris we would not have seen this level of success). But next year, we lose the glue, our leader Matt Boulind and I don't expect Meech, Gray, Arop to replace him statistically or as a leader. I also don't see a JUCO player doing so.

However, in 2011/2012 Sacre, Meech GJ, GG, Arop and Bol will be upper-classmen (I expect Arop and Meech [and hopefully Bol] to blossom exponentially); Dower, Olynick, hopefully Harris and someone will be sensational down low. Insert KD and others too...

My point is: a huge part of the maturation process is playing time. Meech and Arop especially need as much time as possible and the thought of bringing in a JUCO player that would have to learn the system and limit those players' minutes doesn't make sense to me. I know Coach knows more than I ever will and I know this is conjecture.

Part of this conversation ties into earlier posts about the national championship mentality, and to me this proves that Few's always trying to improve his team to reach the ultimate goal. However, I think this move will backfire and prove to limit our growth (only because I see 2011/2012 as such an important year, similar to 2008/2009).

Go Zags!!!!

bigblahla
02-24-2010, 06:07 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if we brought in a straight-up outside scorer for a bench threat. Gray is our 'bomber' and this year he has bombed some. We need a gunner but it depends on someone leaving...

SG & Arop are scorers. Hopefully Kong will find his game. Gibbs has offense. GJ skies, nobody plays at his height in the paint. Meech is lightning. I don't see a skilled ball handler other than Gibbs and he may not get his game up to get on the floor.

Sam is next years Elias and if Coach has the ca hones he'll play Elias at the 3, Sam at the 4 and Rob and Kelly at the 5 but somebody has to get them the ball.

Is it an assassin or floor general or both?

Go!! Zags!!!

U Zig, I Zag
02-24-2010, 08:35 PM
SG & Arop are scorers. Hopefully Kong will find his game. Gibbs has offense. GJ skies, nobody plays at his height in the paint. Meech is lightning. I don't see a skilled ball handler other than Gibbs and he may not get his game up to get on the floor.

Sam is next years Elias and if Coach has the ca hones he'll play Elias at the 3, Sam at the 4 and Rob and Kelly at the 5 but somebody has to get them the ball.

Is it an assassin or floor general or both?

Go!! Zags!!!

Obviously we are gonna see some new faces - we have 3 (?) scholarships open right?

Maybe we get someone tall and quick that is a lock down D type. If they have good court vision/handles that's a bonus. Someone kind of like Gray is now that can learn from Steven and then finish his final year in that role off the bench as guard spark plug.

xjzico
02-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Slipper Still Fits, says he's left his team, wonder what's up with that?
http://www.highplainsleader.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1479:seward-to-face-dodge-without-smith&catid=13:local-sports&Itemid=41
Might be bit of head case. Left his team when, along with the Zags, the likes of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Florida, Kansas State and West Virgina began recruiting him. Not sure how that works academically.

MickMick
02-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Speaking of popping up on the radar:

link (http://northcarolina.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1235&tid=131860190&mid=131860190&sid=941&style=2)

kitzbuel
02-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Now reliable sources close to the situation tell Buster that if TarHeel point guard Larry Drew II were to "make a decision today" he would transfer out of Chapel Hill and head back home to the West Coast, with either UCLA or USC being likely possible destinations.

http://www.bustersports.com/blog/buster-blog/2010/02/26/sources-larry-drew-ii-would-transfer-if-decision-was-today/

thespywhozaggedme
02-27-2010, 07:28 AM
As someone know in the heart of ACC/SEC country, I can tell you LDIII is awful; a pg with no vision, nor anything exceptional for that matter. Basically he was a product of name and hype machine.

zaguarxj
02-27-2010, 07:39 AM
This was one of the posts on the carolinablue board (text bolded by me for emphasis):

Been hearing this for some time but was asked NOT to say anything. You got it! Roy was NOT happy when Drew decided to spend the summer and work out with his dad and NOT in Chapel Hill. His Dad, like anyone who has played professional ball, thinks he knows more than the coach and what is best for his son. So, he has been butting heads with Roy! Just hope it doesn't turn into another BS Craig James type situation...
'Nuff said...

d2zag
02-27-2010, 11:07 AM
His latest tweet was "Take note, it's 30 degrees outside...smh" (shake my head). What a baby hahaha He's definitely not coming to Spokane, don't want him too either.