PDA

View Full Version : Big Will and the NBA...

AzZag
02-21-2010, 08:22 PM
the Pepperdine was filled with many awkward moments...

One of these moments involved Heister repeatedly asking Ehlo about Big Will's chances of getting invites to NBA camps. He also was "pitching" Will to the NBA scouts in the stands.

With that, I have to say that I just don't see an invite coming...but what do I know...

I really would like to see him rebound a bit better for a guy his size. Even if he would have redshirted in his career, I don't think he'd get any stronger and better on the boards. I would think that he'd have more of an impact in a game than what he does...there aren't many centers/forwards that seem intimidated by him when he is on the court.

However, on a positive note, for a guy his size, I think he actually has very good control over his body and can get up and down the court effectively.

I think there are a lot of 7-2, 7-3 European guys that actually have an offensive game, and if Big Will can't dominate 6-7 WCC guys, well, the NBA doesn't seem like a reality...

GUDan07
02-21-2010, 08:35 PM
...if Big Will can't dominate 6-7 WCC guys, well, the NBA doesn't seem like a reality...

That about sums it up.

webspinnre
02-21-2010, 08:52 PM
That about sums it up.

Yep. On the other hand, I could certainly see him playing some pro ball overseas. Sure, probably not at the top level of European basketball, but there are all sorts of opportunities if he wants to give it a go.

U Zig, I Zag
02-21-2010, 08:59 PM
I don't think even Will has major hopes for a huge post-GU BBall career. It is very difficult to play beyond what we are seeing these kids do now, even though they are already the best of the best.

I will say this though, Will hasn't been hampered by injuries that normally affect a guy that big. So maybe when he is 26 and his hands are all the way there and his shooting options expand I can see him making a mark someplace.

First though, he has to put the smack down on the WCC. Will: These kids are punks! imagine it is the Big East! Put some force into it! :)

LAZAGFAN11
02-21-2010, 09:23 PM
I was at both the LMU and Pepperdine games in person. At Pepperdine I had a very clear look at Mitch Kupchak (who is the GM for the Lakers). I believe the Lakers have two 2nd round picks. Here are my observations after both games:

-If you think Matt Bouldin is an impressive passer on TV, wait till you see it in person. I think he's one of the best passers that I've seen come out of the college game in years and it really shows his intelligence on the court.

-LMU is going to have one heck of a team next year. Keep in mind: they have their starting center Edgar Garibay out for the season with an injury. Watch for them to compete with Gonzaga and Saint Mary's for the tittle.

-Bol Kong and Harris are in some sort of a slump. They'll figure it out.

-It is clear that Sam Dower and David Stockton are developing a close relationship. I always see them laughing their a** off.

-Mitch Kupchak had 3 blue cards that he was writing on the whole game. One for each of the 3 players he was there to scout. After watching a play he would switch to that card and start writing. Based on what I saw, he was there to scout Bouldin, Harris, and Sacre.

-Sacre needs to work on his vertical leap and a baseline spin move. One of the reasons why he under-performs in rebounding is because of that vert. He has all the physical tools for the NBA, but he needs to work on this in the off season.

-Mitch had a smile on his face and did a quick chuckle when Will Foster put up a shot, grabbed his own rebound, and put it in. You can't beat 7'5"

Looking forward to Vegas!

fedwayzag
02-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the report lazag. Sounds about right.

zag buddy
02-21-2010, 10:49 PM
At 7"5" Will is just starting to grow and get confortable with his final body size. He appears to be putting on muscle now. Someone stated he was the fastest on the team in the 1 mile run. I believe that from here on out he will get more coordinated and finally maximize his God given talents. Here's to hoping he gets a chance to play with the big boys - er the almost big boys -compared to Will.

MickMick
02-22-2010, 04:14 AM
My belief is that he will get a look. He won't stick, but 7'5" will get a look.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-22-2010, 04:46 AM
Go to Hollywood and forget basketball. There are always horror movie roles for really big guys or even a casting call for wookies.

titopoet
02-22-2010, 05:21 AM
Will's chances in the NBA may depend on Yao. If Yao returns, then I could see a team gambling on Will (not draft, but as minimum free agent). His roll would mostly as a practice guy, who can simulate Yao in said practices. Mostly the interest would come from teams like Dallas, Spurs that play the rockets. Though a better move for Will would be to play pro ball somewhere he can get floor time.

While the NBA may not happen for Will, I think he will be paid to play next year. I know I will miss him next year.

SunDevilGolfZag
02-22-2010, 05:51 AM
He's got to be as good as the UCLA auto mechanic Mark Eaton was in college. It would not surprise me if Will eventually fills a role in the NBA

Crazy
02-22-2010, 05:54 AM
honestly Gonzaga was a high Quality college, but to be true your program ain't NBA level. So why should i guy should make an impact on a NBA team, if he can not make it here. Sure he is big, but even if ssize helps you also need the skills to use it, and i don't see him amke that big steps to reach a level as NBA backup.

And honestly i can imagine that he get hired to show, how big Yao was ;) Because i think they are to different, to show them how they beat Yao who is lot more skilled and probadly not that big factor that the NBA will hire a trainings double.

FuManShoes
This is the response I got from DraftExpress when I asked about the chances of Will getting a look by the NBA:

The era of the 7-foot NBA stiff is LONG over

gozagswoohoo
-It is clear that Sam Dower and David Stockton are developing a close relationship. I always see them laughing their a** off.

I was wondering about this, because while I was on campus last week, I saw Dower and Stockton 3 different times in 3 different places, and they were always with eachother, and always seemed to be laughing. An odd pairing, but it's pretty cool, I think.

gamagin
02-22-2010, 07:14 AM
A couple of years ago Coach Ray G. pointed out in a talk at a luncheon that big Will has a good set of wheels. He can run. RG pointed out the gentle giant had won the team mile run (apparently at the beginning of each season) several times.

That means he has wheels for his size. He has height. We have all seen recently that he has an IQ (how high is an unknown, but he moves around now with more authority and savvy than RS, imo, even though he seems slower to react).

He desparately needs confidence, game and moves.

If he's really willing to work like Stock worked in the offseason, and Dickau, Frahm and others have worked & continue to work, to keep their game going, it's possible he could get plenty of development encouragement and experience.

Because as everyone knows, you can't teach height.

If the spark we have all seen could possibly turn into a real committment by Will, we could see the big man getting every chance anyone could hope for to suit up at some level above college. Big if. But possible.

willandi
02-22-2010, 07:15 AM
I think that Will has shown remarkable advancement this year, and that he will continue to grow into his body. A NBA team should be willing to expend at least a 2nd round pick, for his rights, and send him to the developmental league, where a LARGE coach could help him develop those skills.

I love the job that Few has done with the Zags, and I know that they have a coach that works with our bigs in practice and before games, but it isn't the same. When a 270lb 7' man physically demonstrates something, it has to be different than when it is a 6' man. I know there have been successful "shorter" coaches that have developed bigs, but I also have seen what the addition of a BIG head coach, with NBA experience, can do to advance the skills of a center like Will. The difference that Krystowiak made, at Montana, in his short tenure there, turning a ho hum team into conference champs, by properly utilizing his big men, is a textbook example.

I will be pulling for him to be a success in life, no matter what path he takes.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Fosterize (n) Fos-Ter'-Ize - to have a shot blocked back into your face with such force that you fall on your back and draw a traveling violation after Big Will lays down the law.

Samhan will never be the same after the Fosterization process.

LongIslandZagFan
02-22-2010, 12:11 PM
I love Will... but I have to agree that the whole "you can't teach size" craze is over in the NBA. Yes, he is 7'4". Zydrunas Ilgauskas is 7'3", runs better and shoots better. I don't know that Will would ever get to that point. the NBA seems more than content with focusing around the 6'10"-7'0" range for their centers especially if they can run and shoot. If it were all about height, Josh would have had been playing in the league.

Will most likley will end up in Europe. He should go where he can make some money and get PT rather than making chump change in D league.

OZZY
02-22-2010, 01:24 PM
I reckon Will will end up playing in Germany, perhaps Regionalliga or the Pro B league (3rd division), the same league that Elias played for last year. Other leagues like Holland, Switzerland and Austria may also suit.

75Zag
02-22-2010, 01:53 PM
I know very little about Will. What is his major? Perhaps he will just graduate and become a _______________ (doctor, lawyer, butcher, baker, candlestick maker) and live a happy life. The idea that every warm body that sits on the GU bench must continue a life of BB after college in order to obtain fulfillment seems odd to me.

Whatever Will wants, Will should have!

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

allnet59
02-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Will has shown great improvement this season considering his lack of playing time during his career. He has shown a desire to look for his shot or to quickly pass out of the double teams something i wish sacre would do more often and his rebounding has improved nicely. he seems to move up and down the court quite well considering his lanky size. What i really like about his game is when he steps out up front on defense with his long arms to stop a point guard penetration or pass when the offense is setting high picks and rolls. His confidence to get the ball down low and to make a quick move is fun to watch. It's really to bad he doesn't have another year to play on this team. Now with that said i think Will's overall chances are very slim any NBA team will draft him as his overall skill set is some what lacking and foot speed against pro ball big men is a must. That given i hope he plays over seas and improves his game and overall strength and has a good career doing it. I love to see him smile and and enjoy what's left of this year. And i also hope Few plays him most of the senior night next Tuesday and scores twenty or more that night. Good luck Will it was a pleasure watching you grow and make those two free throws!!!!!

LynetteG
02-22-2010, 09:20 PM
What is his major?
Sports Mgmt

810Suited
02-23-2010, 01:14 AM
You guys are leaving out a big piece of the equation. Does the kid even want to pursue basketball as a profession? Hes never really come off as the type that wanted to make basketball his career. I think he will go on to be successful in something other than basketball. Just my humble opinion

LongIslandZagFan
02-23-2010, 06:04 AM
You are right 810, he may not, BUT he can likely make more money doing that initially than going out into the working world. He has shown a desire and love for the game, if he can get a couple of years with a slightly larger paycheck, I cannot see why he wouldn't do it. All that aside, if he decided to become a working stiff like me, then I'd be just as happy for him.