PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga Recruiting

RockandRollJames
02-21-2010, 12:53 PM
It was interesting to hear that UNC has 7 McDonald's All-American players on their roster, yet they are doing so bad. It's uplifting to know that we have a program and coaches who know how to recruit to right guys. It's not about getting to one-and-done 5 stars, but getting the right guys who fit into the Gonzaga community.

Good thing Mark Few doesn't eat at McDonalds! ;)

applezag
02-21-2010, 02:33 PM
I've long wondered if a player becomes a Tar Heel, Bruin, Jayhawk, or Blue Devil by being a "McDonalds All America" caliber player, or does one become a McDonalds All American by being recruited by those schools.

deathchina
02-21-2010, 05:03 PM
One team has won a NC without a McDonald's AA.....

RockandRollJames
02-21-2010, 05:56 PM
One team has won a NC without a McDonald's AA.....

Yes, but it is nice to stay consistantly where we are without getting those type of guys, while teams like UNC and UCLA have a down year. It's just reassuring to see us be successful year after year without getting the top rated guys.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-21-2010, 06:42 PM
A lot of BCS coaches would trade their McDonald's All-Americans for Elias Harris now that they have seen him.

The same could have been said about Ronny Turiaf, Adam Morrison, Dan Dickau, Casey Calvary, Matt Bouldin, etc.

zagfan08
02-21-2010, 07:33 PM
It's nice to be good every year but look at most final four teams. Many have elite recruits out of high school who carry them deep in the tournament. I mean who wouldn't want John Wall, Derrick Rose, or Carmelo Anthony just to name a few.

U Zig, I Zag
02-21-2010, 08:10 PM
A lot of BCS coaches would trade their McDonald's All-Americans for Elias Harris now that they have seen him.

The same could have been said about Ronny Turiaf, Adam Morrison, Dan Dickau, Casey Calvary, Matt Bouldin, etc.

Our AG trumps many a' AA. It must give the staff and school a sense of pride to compete with so little. ;)

GUZagDenver
02-22-2010, 07:49 AM
True, but UNC is also playing in the ACC. UNC had some big OOC wins, and then just got in a slump and couldn't seem to recover. I think our team could have done the same thing if we faced a schedule like that of the ACC. We can afford to play really bad and still win in our conference. If we would played like we did on 4 or 5 of the WCC games against ACC competition, we would be .500 or worse, and begging for an at-large.

CDC84
02-22-2010, 07:49 AM
Here's why UNC is having so many problems:

1) UNC is filled with youth, but importantly, a ton of that youth is in the backcourt. The Heels are averaging 15.7 turnovers per game. The Zags have experienced guards, so the transition is easier.

2) Larry Drew Jr. is not a starting level ACC point guard, much less a guy who can run the Carolina system.

3) Too many injuries.

4) Some of the Burger Boys like Henson and Strickland need more seasoning that anticipated.

They'll be back.

I do believe that school selection plays a part in who gets chosen for the McDonald's AA team. There are a lot of politics involved. Drew Jr. wasn't a top 50 player with most services, and yet he made the team basically because he committed to UNC. Meanwhile, back in 2006, Matt Bouldin barely misses the team despite being rated the top shooting guard in the west. If Kyle Wiltjer selects the Zags, it'll be interesting to see what happens there, because he's top 30 almost across the board.