PDA

View Full Version : Top 12 Zags of the last 12 years: #8

VanillaGorilla
02-21-2010, 09:09 AM
As a said in the first post in this series. There were clear tiers on this list for me. 11 and 12 were clearly below 8-10 who are clearly below the rest of the list. So here at 8 we have the top of the 2nd tier. Let me know if you agree/disagree

#12 Jeremy Pargo

#11 Derek Raivio

#10 Cory Violette

# 9 JP Batistahttp://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=27003

#8 Richie Frahm
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2009/03/01/2008800493.jpg

Why heís here: Richie was a stud performer who got this whole thing started with Matt and Casey et al. At 6í5Ē with the way he could get up he had the frame and athleticism that you would see in a BCS conference wing. He was the type of player GU gets now, but not the type they got in 1996 (Being from Battle Ground, WA probably helped us). Arguably he was the best shooter in program history (though Dickau and Rillie may beg to differ). He never shot below 40% from deep and finished 2nd all time in both 3 pt makes and attempts. He is eight 3 pt makes behind Blake Stepp on 93 fewer attempts. He came up big in big games many times throughout his career. In the 1998 pre-season NIT he went off for 37 at Memphis in a 15 point win, a Pyramid record. In his first NCAA tourney game he dropped 26 against Minnesota and in the same round the following year he dropped 31 on Louisville. He was just a big time scorer from the wing position. Other than Morrison he may be the best scorer from that spot that we have had.

8th all time in scoring with 1621 pts (though Bouldin will pass him in the next 2 games); 8th all time in FG made; 2nd all time in 3pt makes and attempts

Why heís not higher: He was great but in my opinion he wasnít in the upper echelon of the greats (that starts at #7.) I think you can argue the order of the next 7 till the cows come home, but to me it is pretty clear that they are all ahead of Richie. He never had to be a leader. He was a sidekick to Santangelo. Everyone else higher up was at least arguably The Guy on at least one team. Richie never was. 8th place is nothing to sneeze at, but he just didnít have to do as much as the next 7. The others either had to score as much as Richie while running the team or having the rebounding burden as well. I donít mean this to sound as negative as it does as I re-read it. Richie was big time but the top 7 were at another level.

What do you think? should he get more credit for what his teams did in the tourney? or is he in the right place?

WallaWallaZag
02-21-2010, 01:57 PM
i've enjoyed reading your rankings so far...it would be nice if you tossed in the stats from each season for each guy you talk about.

tightface
02-22-2010, 08:06 AM
Unlike quite a few players on this list, I feel like Richie got even better after he graduated. He bounced around quite a bit and landed a few NBA gigs (I have a Frahm Sonics jersey somewhere), but I will always remember seeing him working out in the old Martin Centre and watching Richie go through dribbling and shooting exercises on his own for hours at a time to get better.

I think that dedication to the craft is what made him such a special player and i don't think we'll see another one quite like him with the combination of size, athleticism and shooting range for quite some time.

MJ777
02-22-2010, 01:00 PM

Why he’s here: Richie was a stud performer who got this whole thing started with Matt and Casey et al. At 6’5” with the way he could get up he had the frame and athleticism that you would see in a BCS conference wing. He was the type of player GU gets now, but not the type they got in 1996 (Being from Battle Ground, WA probably helped us.)

I like that picture of Richie and the fact that he is from a place where there was not a recorded battle.

I think #8 is about right although getting to the E8 could perhaps merit him being higher.

VanillaGorilla
02-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Walla Walla,
that's a good idea. I will try to add the stats from now on. however be forewarned i am no html expert, so if the formatting is difficult i will give up rather easily.

ID ZAGFAN
02-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Walla Walla,
that's a good idea. I will try to add the stats from now on. however be forewarned i am no html expert, so if the formatting is difficult i will give up rather easily.

VanGo--ask ZagNative how to do a screen shot of stats. She broke it down so even I could understand it. Once you understand it, it's a piece of cake.

(OK, it took three or four PMS for me to understand it. :p )

ID ZAGFAN

McZag
02-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Richie went to an elite 8 and a sweet sixteen in his four years at GU.

Without him, the Zags do not beat Stanford in 1999 nor do they beat Louisville in 2000. No Frahm, no sweet sixteen 1999, no elite 8 and no ss in 2000.

Frahm is in the top 5 of last 12 years easy.

SunDevilGolfZag
02-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Unlike quite a few players on this list, I feel like Richie got even better after he graduated. He bounced around quite a bit and landed a few NBA gigs (I have a Frahm Sonics jersey somewhere), but I will always remember seeing him working out in the old Martin Centre and watching Richie go through dribbling and shooting exercises on his own for hours at a time to get better.

I think that dedication to the craft is what made him such a special player and i don't think we'll see another one quite like him with the combination of size, athleticism and shooting range for quite some time.

Good observations TF. Richie's body tranformation from a relatively scrawny freshman to a physical specimen was obviously due to his dedication and hard work in the weight room. I still remember watching him as a frosh and thinking he had great potential if he beefs up -- he did!

lothar98zag
02-23-2010, 04:43 PM
#8 Richie Frahm
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2009/03/01/2008800493.jpg

...Being from Battle Ground, WA...

...What do you think? should he get more credit for what his teams did in the tourney? or is he in the right place?

Being from Battle Ground should automatically bump him above Dan. It just wouldn't be right for a Prairie grad to be ranked higher than a BG Tiger.

...seriously though, I don't think I've commented yet - great idea and execution VG. Nice work.

jake
02-23-2010, 06:00 PM
He's from Battle Ground, Washington and he's battling tonight.

J-Lo
03-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Have I missed it somewhere, or are we still waiting for #7-#1???

U Zig, I Zag
03-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Have I missed it somewhere, or are we still waiting for #7-#1???

Much Esquire's Woman of The Year spread it is slowly revealed in pieces...

I like the write-ups. Good work. Thanks.