PDA

View Full Version : Who has most exceeded your pre-season expectations?

tyra
02-21-2010, 06:47 AM
Thinking of all the players on this team, which one has most exceeded your expectations from the pre-season? Who is your most pleasant surprise?

seasontixholder
02-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Most have, including Matt. Right now, Goodson the most. He was such a work in progress and only a true sophomore. Next summer, his position is not one of the ones I will be worrying about for the next two years.

bartruff1
02-21-2010, 06:56 AM
Harris...I had no expectations..

ZagLawGrad
02-21-2010, 07:07 AM
Bouldin. He brought 4 years of significant playing time into a pretty nice all-around package.

Gotta agree that I had no expectations for Harris, but he has been a very pleasant surprise.

Zagpower
02-21-2010, 07:27 AM
1)Elias Harris: Caught me completely off-guard how good he is.

2) KO. Again, better than expected. Love his attitude.

3) Grant....I think we are going to be just fine after Matt leaves with Steven, Meech, and an expanded role for GG next year.

Birddog
02-21-2010, 07:29 AM
Harris, I thought he might be good, but not this good. Just try and imagine this team without him. What do you think their record would be? Do you think they would be where they are in the WCC or do you think maybe they'd be scrambling to even stay in contention? Who would have received Harris minutes? Probably Arop and maybe some additional time for Kelly O. I would think that those games the Zags won in come from behind efforts would have been "L's".

B-hamZag
02-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Hey why not Sacre, to me he is a freshman. Somtimes plays great, sometimes he not in the game so I expect him next year to explode.

gu03alum
02-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Hey why not Sacre, to me he is a freshman. Somtimes plays great, sometimes he not in the game so I expect him next year to explode.

My wife and I were talking last night about how frustrated we have been with some of the Sophomores at Gonzaga over the years only to have them really become stars their Junior years. For example, I remember being really frustrated with Bouldin because I could see the talent was there, but he would make a lot of bonehead plays or was not consistent. The last two years he has been amazing and consistent. I think Sacre will be that guy the next two years also.

Booster
02-21-2010, 08:15 AM
Harris for sure based on his overall game - as a Freshman! And Bouldin because that's what senior leaders do; raise the overall performance and expectations of the entire team.

Fast forward 12 months from now and I have one word for you ... Dower.

MickMick
02-21-2010, 08:15 AM
Rob has far exceeded my pre season expectations.

Jedster
02-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Harris because who could have expected what we have gotten from him? Pretty amazing how well he's played. Slowing down a bit lately as teams have adjusted and are jamming him more, but still effective.

A close 2nd is KO. When I heard he wasn't going to redshirt I thought that was going to be a huge mistake as I thought he needed to add bulk (still does) and learn the game better. Boy, has he impressed. He is showing flashes of great things and has been effective as a role player this year. I am excited to see him for 3 more years, he's going to be amazing!

bballbeachbum
02-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Elias. BobZag told us, but seeing is believing. opposing players have adjusted to his game some, he's adjusting back. and for some reason, he seems to get absolutely no love from WCC officials lately. you all seeing this too? just gets hacked with no call, and many times a game. what's up with that? or is my vision wrong on that.

EDIT: oops, not trying to steal the thread with the officiating questions on Elias...sorry about that

hooter73
02-21-2010, 09:26 AM
I didnt know enough about Harris preseason to be totally shocked but if I had to vote for one it would go to Foster. Hes my big surprise of the year.

DADoZAG
02-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Thinking of all the players on this team, which one has most exceeded your expectations from the pre-season? Who is your most pleasant surprise?

Will Foster.

Go ZAGS!

rawkmandale
02-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Foster and Arop have been the most pleasant surprises for me.

gamagin
02-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Big Will is more of a big shock. Would love to hear the story behind his awakening, seemingly overnight, just a few weeks ago.

SWZag
02-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Foster and Arop have been the most pleasant surprises for me.

My thoughts exactly. I'm ecstatic to see Will doing so well. Manny is going to be an amazing player in a couple years, if not even next year.

Kelly surprised me starting the year, but that tapered off a bit. Again, just a frosh and he will continue to improve into a big-time player, IMO.

SWZag

Ezag
02-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Seriously Sacre exceed your expectations?

He started out well but you'd think a 7' man with 270lb frame would dominate the WCC and that has not been the case. Domination is what I expected from Rob and thus been far from that, though I did enjoy the blocks in last night's game.

MickMick
02-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Seriously Sacre exceed your expectations?

He started out well but you'd think a 7' man with 270lb frame would dominate the WCC and that has not been the case. Domination is what I expected from Rob and thus been far from that, though I did enjoy the blocks in last night's game.

I have to base it on what I saw in previous years. He wasn't nearly as good offensively as he is now.

GUZag08
02-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Robert Sacre. Absolutely.

If someone told me after his freshman year that he would put up 17 on Michigan State, no way I would have believed him.

When Rob was a freshman, he did not look good. Lets be honest. He was there physically, but man it looked like it would take a while for him to contribute anything.

The fact that he is a legit threat this year shows how hard he has worked to improve his game. A hard working 7 foot, 260 pound center? Yes, please.

I'm jazzed to see how Rob continues to improve over the next years. As he continues to work hard, watch out man.

:o (i just like this smilies option)