PDA

View Full Version : Even Katz is talking about it...

Zerogame
02-21-2010, 06:31 AM
The rumors that Gonzaga's Mark Few is next have been out there for two years. Few is close with Kilkenny. He is from Oregon. That's hardly a secret. But Few has made it clear he wants to stay at Gonzaga, where he has a national program that has tremendous tournament access every season by winning the WCC. Would Few listen if Phil Knight and Nike were to offer him a $2 million package? Of course he would. But I'm not convinced he would go, based on his comfort in Spokane.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/4929807/kent-feels-heat-ducks-flounder

seasontixholder
02-21-2010, 06:39 AM
Would Few listen if Phil Knight and Nike were to offer him a $2 million package? Of course he would.

Too low, my friend.

Zagpower
02-21-2010, 07:13 AM
It's not about the money with coach.

It's about comfort level. Never underestimate the value of that in your life.

cbbfanatic
02-21-2010, 07:38 AM
katz is usually out way in front of these coach x to school y rumors... and he is often wrong. i think he falls a little too in love with "conventional wisdom"

from a conventional wisdom perspective, few to oregon is going to be rumored forever. the alum angle is a huge wildcard and is tough to put a value on, because it has such a different meaning to different guys. im sure money isnt the issue, as i would guess oregon would go to pretty extreme lengths to pay few what he would want. going from 2mm a year to 3.5-4mm a year for a coach, for oregon, is nothing (if they REALLY want the guy anyway).

Once and Future Zag
02-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Its kind of scary the pseudo-messianic expectations that the Oregon Sportswriters are creating for Mark Few any more.

CDC84
02-21-2010, 10:26 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/budwithers/2009015822_withers10.html

Kilkenny made his sales pitch this offseason and was turned away. Yes, he and the Ducks could try again, but the last thing Oregon needs is to be publicly rejected. The job is not strong enough right now to withstand that sort of thing.

Ezag
02-21-2010, 10:45 AM
$2 mil - I'll go!

MDABE80
02-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Money is a funny thing. Millions distracts from the job at hand. Few's job is to coach, be with God and raise his family...not in that order of course. Few's tasks can be done at GU...he's a very simple guy.
He makes way more than he'll ever spend here and he knows that.
He's having intense fun at GU....anyone ever consider how obfuscating at job like Oregon's would be?

Keep a simple life, have a great spouse, have great kids, be successful on every stage, go with God...make lots more than you'll ever spend....and be close to this Christian/Catholic University. Fellas...it's a full plate....and a very "good" plate.

Ezag
02-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Money is a funny thing. Millions distracts from the job at hand. Few's job is to coach, be with God and raise his family...not in that order of course. Few's tasks can be done at GU...he's a very simple guy.
He's having intense fun at GU....anyone ever consider how obfuscating at job like Oregon's would be?

Keep a simple life, have a great spouse, have great kids, be successful on every stage, go with God...make lots more than you'll ever spend....and be close to this Christian/Catholic University. Fellas...it's a full plate....and a very "good" plate.

Well said, not to mention if he does happen to have a couple bad years (please no!), Gonzaga is a much more forgiving place (hence the Catholic mission) than a Pac-10 school will ever be.

Therunner
02-21-2010, 10:57 AM
My fiancee grew up her entire life in the nicest part of Oregon and given the cost of living and income taxes, $2 million per year is equivalant to earning $1 million in Spokane. Coach Few's current house alone would be worth double in Oregon vs what it cost to build in Spokane. Its all relative really.

He's not going anywhere, especially if the money is essentially the same.

gamagin
02-21-2010, 11:06 AM

amen.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Even for $2 million/year. That kind of money creates unrealistic expectations from an employer. If he were to have one or two bad years (and he probably would while the program rebuilds), the Oregon fan base and administration might start breathing down his neck for results.

One thing Mark Few has never had to worry about at Gonzaga is his job security. He's earned the trust and confidence of the university and its fans. Even if the program suffers a bad year or two, he's not going to worry about being canned before he gets a chance to rebuild.

Das Zagger
02-21-2010, 11:50 AM
$2 mil - I'll go!

I don't even know you, but I know you're a better coach than Ernie is.

Zagpower
02-21-2010, 12:33 PM

Well put. He is not lacking for anything that I can see and has a dream job and a happy family.

Jedster
02-21-2010, 04:12 PM
If you take the money completely out of the equation, it's even more of a slam dunk as to why he wouldn't leave. Few has spent a huge part of his adult life building GU into the national program it is. Right now the program is on the cusp of entering the next level and Few is in the situation where he has the program in the NCAA tourney every year. He has also built the program to the point that recruiting is as good as it's ever been and top level national recruits now consider GU. He also has a young and extremely talented team that is poised to make a lot of noise these next few years. I also think that you can't discount the relationship Few has with the other coaches and what he's seen happen to the last two coaches to leave GU.

In my opinion there are two main reasons why someone would want to coach at Oregon: 1) the money and 2) the challenge to rebuild the program. I don't see Few as someone who puts money as one of his top priorities. I also see Few as seeing the challenge that lays ahead for him at GU as the program still hasn't reached the pinnacle. Plus, some coaches will be attracted to the challenge to rebuild to stroke their ego, and that doesn't fit Few either.

dim4sum
02-21-2010, 04:24 PM
MDAbe, Few seems like a decent moral individual, whether or not he believes in the existence of a supernatural being. I don't think he should be expected to wear his religion on his sleeve, if he has one. And if he lives a plain secular life without any religious middle men, he should be respected for that, too.

ZagAddict
02-21-2010, 04:47 PM
UO will look no furhter than Mike Dunlap when the season is over. He will get his shot to prove he can be the longterm solution. Bellotti brought him to UO in the offseason for a reason. Kent didn't want to expand his staff... Dunlap was brought on by the AD just in case Kent tanked this year again.

MickMick
02-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Money is nice incentive for anyone. When Few decides his goals at Gonzaga are complete, it wouldn't be a bad desicion for him to make a nice little windfall before he retires.

That could be years down the road but I expect it will eventually happen.

He isn't making a bad living now though.

titopoet
02-22-2010, 06:06 AM
It may not be about the money. Don't get me wrong with this observation, but being in the Pac-10 does come with advantages. The question for Mark is can he win a National Championship at either GU or Oregon. Coach Few is a coach and having a chance to win a Championship maybe alluring, more so than the money. Being in the Pac-10 would mean better seeding in March (For those who think the NCAA is fair and balanced, I am sorry to tell you but the tooth fairy doesn't exists. It is first and foremost concerned with BCS schools, and maximizing the BCS.) It makes recruiting easier. Like it or not, playing in the PAC-10 is prestigious. What I am saying here is that money is not the only consideration. Winning it all and being at a place that gives the best opportunities.

There are downsides as well. Example, is Sean Miller. If he does not get Arizona in the NCAAs in the next three year, he is gone. Heck, Tom Crean is hearing grumbling for not being getting Indiana in contention for the Big Teb, even though he took over such a mess. At GU, Few has built a national powerhouse, then the next stage is building a contender year in year out. By that I mean a few final fours and a Championship or two. Can he build one here in Spokane? I think he can.

All in all, I think Mark stays. But I don't think money is the only temptation.

75Zag
02-22-2010, 07:50 AM
I have no idea whether Few could be tempted to go to Oregon or not. If he does he will be subject to a lot of alumni pressure not to mention the tinkering of Phil Knight and various other powerful people.

Seems to me that if he has not done so already, at some point in the not too distant future Coach Few will need to make the choice between staying in a comfortable and safe job at Gonzaga vs. taking a job where he has a realistic chance of winning a National Championship. While it is theoretically possible that GU could win a National Championship, it is not very likely. Schools that are considered to have a significant chance of a Championship do things differently than Gonzaga. They successfully recruit super-elite players, including lots of one and done guys. The vast majority of players at elite schools are great kids with great personal stories and personal ethics, but some elite recruits have baggage before they arrive, or conduct themselves in questionable fashion while in school. Such things seem to be more tolerated in programs which put so much emphasis (and money) behind winning a Championship. I also believe that some super-elite players come from questionable sources, like some of the pond-scum AAU "advisors" that seem to have close relationships with Final Four caliber teams. Elite teams like UNC, Kansas, Florida, Uconn, Syracuse, Maryland and Duke for the most part play against a very high level of league competition day in and day out. And Elite programs change coaches like yesterday's socks if the coach does not provide the level of success expected / required.

I like Few. I am happy to have him stay at GU forever if that is what he wants to do. I will support him and the team. Whatever happens it will be interesting to see what he decides.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

gamagin
02-22-2010, 08:17 AM
I have no idea whether Few could be tempted to go to Oregon or not. If he does he will be subject to a lot of alumni pressure not to mention the tinkering of Phil Knight and various other powerful people.

Seems to me that if he has not done so already, at some point in the not too distant future Coach Few will need to make the choice between staying in a comfortable and safe job at Gonzaga vs. taking a job where he has a realistic chance of winning a National Championship. While it is theoretically possible that GU could win a National Championship, it is not very likely. Schools that are considered to have a significant chance of a Championship do things differently than Gonzaga. They successfully recruit super-elite players, including lots of one and done guys. The vast majority of players at elite schools are great kids with great personal stories and personal ethics, but some elite recruits have baggage before they arrive, or conduct themselves in questionable fashion while in school. Such things seem to be more tolerated in programs which put so much emphasis (and money) behind winning a Championship. I also believe that some super-elite players come from questionable sources, like some of the pond-scum AAU "advisors" that seem to have close relationships with Final Four caliber teams. Elite teams like UNC, Kansas, Florida, Uconn, Syracuse, Maryland and Duke for the most part play against a very high level of league competition day in and day out. And Elite programs change coaches like yesterday's socks if the coach does not provide the level of success expected / required.

I like Few. I am happy to have him stay at GU forever if that is what he wants to do. I will support him and the team. Whatever happens it will be interesting to see what he decides.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

I believe we could win a national championship one day. No reason why not.

That said, becoming an elite team, and remaining in that rarified air, like those you list above, does involve a lot more of everything, especially money, and I don't believe that would never happen at GU.

But given all the possibilities that can make things go right or wrong in a given game, season, playoff setting, well, it's not unheard of to reach the pinnacle. We've certainly come banging on the door enough times to build up a powerful hunger for it.

And we've been working in that direction long enough to have a shot at it if enough stars align properly over Boone Ave.

Jedster
02-22-2010, 08:47 AM
It may not be about the money. Don't get me wrong with this observation, but being in the Pac-10 does come with advantages. The question for Mark is can he win a National Championship at either GU or Oregon. Coach Few is a coach and having a chance to win a Championship maybe alluring, more so than the money. Being in the Pac-10 would mean better seeding in March (For those who think the NCAA is fair and balanced, I am sorry to tell you but the tooth fairy doesn't exists. It is first and foremost concerned with BCS schools, and maximizing the BCS.) It makes recruiting easier. Like it or not, playing in the PAC-10 is prestigious. What I am saying here is that money is not the only consideration. Winning it all and being at a place that gives the best opportunities.

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I have been known to be once or twice!), but wasn't the Arizona job offered to Few last year when they were looking, and he turned them down? I don't disagree with your logic above, but it would seem that if he wanted to go to the Pac-10 for all the advantages it offers, you would take Arizona in a heartbeat over Oregon. You can multiply by 10 all the advantages from above when comparing the two schools. Granted, each of those has disadvantages such as meddling, and a loss of control in some ways over the program compared to GU. I think that's a main reason Few stays at GU. He has been given a tremendous amount of autonomy over the program and doesn't have to deal with a lot of the politics you'd get at either of those schools. Few is in a great position with solid backing and support for whatever he wants to do, even if they have a bad year or two.

MEZAG
02-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Few is in a great position with solid backing and support for whatever he wants to do, even if they have a bad year or two.

People keep saying that Few is solid even if GU has a bad year or two. How do we know that. He hasn't really had a bad year as a head coach. Look at the grumblings on this board for this years performance. I thought this was a rebuilding year. Just think if we had a couple years like UNC is having this year. I think Few might experience more uncomfortable scrutiny than some might think. He already does in a 4 loss rebuilding year.

Jedster
02-22-2010, 09:14 AM
People keep saying that Few is solid even if GU has a bad year or two. How do we know that. He hasn't really had a bad year as a head coach. Look at the grumblings on this board for this years performance. I thought this was a rebuilding year. Just think if we had a couple years like UNC is having this year. I think Few might experience more uncomfortable scrutiny than some might think. He already does in a 4 loss rebuilding year.

True...imagine if we have a 5 loss season! :D

Rightly or wrongly, we do have to separate the fans on this board from the general public opinion (and yes, sadly media perception which can really drive things). We as a group are a lot more critical (in both good and bad ways) then the general public of this team. This board may be a lot more unhappy with him before the general public or media starts calling for his head. Good point though!

Zag 77
02-22-2010, 09:58 AM
There are thousands of sports blogs out there. Some schools have more than we do. Coaches would be nuts to read these. :lmao:

maynard g krebs
02-22-2010, 02:51 PM
On EDUCK, it was stated (and agreed with by a moderator) a few weeks ago that last year Few told UO he wanted 2.5 mil a yr and he'd take the job. I have no idea if this is true, just passing on the rumor.