• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EngineerZag
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Feb 2007

24 offensive rebounds?

Pepp outrebounded us 43-31 tonight, and had 24 offensive rebounds. We took 51 shots, Pepp took 70! Hope the guys take that to heart - we do that against a better team and it will really cost us.
  • MDABE80
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Ummm./...that's why we'll get beat early in the NCAA's. They know better but just can't seem to climb the ladder. The big guys...the rebounders! Got ta get them into my......rebounding! We had size...just not boards...nothing like Rob at the beginning of the season...nothing like ELias either...Meech ( the little guy is doing better rebounding!)...Few must be in an absolute dither over this. Krause is....

Comment

• kitzbuel
      • Feb 2007

Not sure I get this. They missed 51 shots. 51. They didn't miss them because they are just naturally bad shooters. They missed them because their shots were getting swatted (Zags had 11 swats to their 2), they missed them because their shots were getting altered, they missed them because you get swatted so much you start to get a little gun shy, and they missed them because they took bad shots (lots of three point misses).

It's not like Pep didn't throw up a lot of shots in Spokane, they took 63 of them. The big difference is that they made a lot more of them.

If the Zags defensive strategy was to not let Pep have a good look at the hoop, it looks like it worked to me.
      'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
      - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• TexasZagFan
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Little known fact, but true: when you're 10-10 from the field, there's a 100% chance you won't grab an offensive rebound.

Comment

• Jedster
          Bleeds GU Blue
          • Oct 2009

I didn't focus on it for a bunch of the game, but it seemed we played zone quite a bit. I'm guessing the reason for zone was to slow down the drives by Bell. If that's the case, that can have an impact on your rebounding. Plus, GU seemed very aggressive going for blocks this game. When you go for a block it takes you out of position to rebound if you miss the block. Not saying we don't need to get better at rebounding, but looking at some of the reasons our numbers were down this game.

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
            Not sure I get this. They missed 51 shots. 51. They didn't miss them because they are just naturally bad shooters. They missed them because their shots were getting swatted (Zags had 11 swats to their 2), they missed them because their shots were getting altered, they missed them because you get swatted so much you start to get a little gun shy, and they missed them because they took bad shots (lots of three point misses).

It's not like Pep didn't throw up a lot of shots in Spokane, they took 63 of them. The big difference is that they made a lot more of them.

If the Zags defensive strategy was to not let Pep have a good look at the hoop, it looks like it worked to me.
            Maybe a dumb question but if a FG goes up, defense blocks it but the offense gets it back - what stats ring up there? missed FG, block, a rebound?? Or is the block back to the offensive player just a bouncing ball?

Comment

• CDC84
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Also, as Ehlo was talking about last night, Pepperdine's shot selection really stunk at times. They were putting up 24 footers after collecting a loose ball and stuff. Those kinds of shots are just going to lead to a lot of offensive boards because of all the weird bounces that come off the rim.

Comment

• mainer6
                Kennel Club Material
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                Also, as Ehlo was talking about last night, Pepperdine's shot selection really stunk at times. They were putting up 24 footers after collecting a loose ball and stuff. Those kinds of shots are just going to lead to a lot of offensive boards because of all the weird bounces that come off the rim.
                Lots of chaos from Pep and lots of long shots. That will result in o-boards, but.. they got plenty by just outworking GU too--three o-boards on one possession then a putback and one.
                Some people have a way with words. Some people not have way.

Comment

Working...
                X