PDA

View Full Version : Zags losing ground as WCC improves

Section 116
02-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Interesting article regarding the overall improvement of the WCC. This is a point I have seen discussed on the board numerous times. It now appears the rest of the WCC is playing an improved brand of basketball, which of course is good for the Zags as well:

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/02/20/zags-losing-ground-wcc-improves/

I found this quote from the article most interesting:
"Their big problem this year is they don't go through every game thinking that they're going to kill people," said LMU sophomore Drew Viney"

B Wayne
02-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the article! The league is much better than even last year, and it is good for the Zags. No longer a 2 month lull before the NCAA tournament. Steel sharpens steel.

Ezag
02-20-2010, 11:01 AM
The gap may be shrinking but we are still top dogs. We had seasons back in the early to mid 2000s where we had a couple of conference losses and those teams had Dickau, Stepp, Violette and Turiaf on them.

And even back then they were talking about the gap closing when Pepperdine and San Diego had consecutive winning seasons but look where they are now and look where we still are.

Kiddwell
02-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Being able to keep a strong and solid coaching staff has been important to the Zags (and SMC, for that matter).

If LMU can play tough the rest of the way, that'll build their confidence for next year. SMC will lose some important players, but they've good youth and that Aussie pipeline. USD has Grier and Co., so they should be building up with time. Things look primed for an over-all WCC improvement.

But the acid test is always OOC victories by WCC teams. East Coast writers and Pollsters aren't going to laud the WCC till WCC teams can go into their conference schedule with, say, half the teams having winning records, winning records that include several "big name" victories per team (like LMU taking out ND this year and UP taking out UCLA).

A final observation: If Pepperdine could come up with the $$$ to build a modern facility on the order of the MAC (with maybe room for 7,000-8,000 fans), they'd have a huge recruiting lure for SoCal players: (1) beautiful Malibu; (2) beautiful new, modern facility: (3) cool school name. <Pepperdine and Gonzaga are two of the "cooler" names in college sports, IMO.>

:]

MDABE80
02-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Nonsense...we play defense, we win em all. This league is better this year because of SMC and PDX. One of them will see NCAA post season. Zags "lose" these games...they should win. Giveaways....I think. Zags have superior talent, coaching and every ingredient to win those past games with LMU and USF. Simply didn't perform. The league always has another team or two that get's near. This season is no different. What IS different are the performances of a few kids like Harris. Further though, I can't underestimate the friendship and comraderie on this team. It matters. What I cannot figure out is why Rob began so strong and seems to have faded....we need a center...and we have one. Somebody's got to ignite him again for a deep run.

thickman1
02-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Nonsense...we play defense, we win em all. This league is better this year because of SMC and PDX. One of them will see NCAA post season. Zags "lose" these games...they should win. Giveaways....I think. Zags have superior talent, coaching and every ingredient to win those past games with LMU and USF. Simply didn't perform. The league always has another team or two that get's near. This season is no different. What IS different are the performances of a few kids like Harris. Further though, I can't underestimate the friendship and comraderie on this team. It matters. What I cannot figure out is why Rob began so strong and seems to have faded....we need a center...and we have one. Somebody's got to ignite him again for a deep run.

Agreed Abe. What I see is a team that "gets up" for St. Mary's and Portland and mails it in for everyone else. GU let both St. Mary's and Portland back into those games the first time through the conference. The second time through, at home, blowouts.

TexasZagFan
02-20-2010, 12:52 PM

I don't care who you're playing. You just won't win many games when you have stretches where you go 4-28 from the field.

I'm not making any more predictions. I thought they were on their way to a potential two seed... :mad:

Our friend Rob needs to stay hungry, focused, and thirsty. Might not be bad for the entire team to display the hunger necessary for a deep run into the tournament. For now, win the next game and head home for the final weekend.

btzag
02-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Yep, Zags should roll through WCC undefeated this year but for a couple letdowns. For whatever reason the coaches have struggled to develop that Memphis-like attitude where they just crush everyone for 40 games in a row. I blame it on the youth of this team but other veteran Zag teams have turned it off on the road and lost also so....

I really don't think the WCC has tightened up like others in the conference think. I mean ten years ago Pepperdine was on their roll similar to SMC and Santa Clara was solid year in and year out like UP could be for the next couple years. But here we are ten years later and you have GU, two solid top 25 fringe programs, and a bunch of promising bottom dwellers. This point has been debated for years on this board but it is all about $$$ and overall commitment by the universities to their BB programs. If SMC, UP, USD, Pepp and SC could commit more money to their coaches and arenas then we would really have a great BB conference like the A-10 or MWC. Otherwise we will continue in this same fashion for the next ten years and beyond.

FuManShoes
02-20-2010, 08:02 PM
This article riled me a bit and I'm not sure why. Is it too butally honest? Are the Zags just not as offensively gifted as in years' past or are the other WCC teams just better? Or is it both? Or is it neither? Perhaps the Zags are as skilled, the WCC isn't stronger and it just so happens the Zags laid eggs in a couple games as they have done before with better teams. I mean they have swept Portland and St Mary's, which are arguably the two best teams in the leagues, so hard to say the gap has closed all that much.

MDABE80
02-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Our guys are VERY young. Matt is the only one with consistent starting experience. When All of em go south, it's a disaster. ...and that's what happened the other night. LMU isn't all that bad either....but out team should be winning by 20 or more nightly. Talent is one thing but experience is another. Even experience doesn't help when the rim seems to move with each shot. It happens...let's hope it doesn't happen again...or the guys will be watching on TV.

Meech, Robert, Harris..even Steven need seasoning. Plus we've got 10 kids with virtually no D1 time. On the other hand, I've seen teams with tons of D1 time and it didn't matter. When "she's " cold, she is very cold. Mean to everyone..no forgiveness...and she doesn't care. uuuuuuugh

fedwayzag
02-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Is this not what we have been asking for. For the bottom of the league to get better. Top three have always been fairly good. It is the second half of the league that has hurt the conference. Maybe we are going to see a stronger WCC. Most teams near the bottom are very young so we should expect improvement. The best part for GU is we are really young this year as well, so should improve (depends how well we adjust to Matt being gone next year).

WallaWallaZag
02-21-2010, 12:34 AM
Yep, Zags should roll through WCC undefeated this year but for a couple letdowns. For whatever reason the coaches have struggled to develop that Memphis-like attitude where they just crush everyone for 40 games in a row. I blame it on the youth of this team but other veteran Zag teams have turned it off on the road and lost also so...

several of those memphis teams were also final four quality teams...as evidenced by their four wins in a row against us. i'm not sure you can say that about any of our teams with the possible exception of the ammo/batista team. we haven't reached the level of memphis in terms of recruiting. even with a new coach, they'll be bringing in the #1 recruiting class next year. it's a lot easier to have that "memphis-like attitude" when you're replacing derrick rose with tyreke evans...one rookie of the year for another.

SunDevilGolfZag
02-21-2010, 05:33 AM
There is parity everywhere in college basketball. The media only recognizes it in their big markets and through the talking heads. IMO, it is a good sign for our league when a top 15 team loses 2 games on the road to middle of the pack conference teams. Happens consistently in the BCS leagues. Don't get me wrong, I hate it when we lose, but it would be arrogant to not credit those teams with being highly competitive.