PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Butler

Butler Guy
04-28-2007, 07:32 AM
Hey guys, I registered a while back and wanted to say hi. I am a fan of Butler basketball and really respect the program Gonzaga has put together. In fact, Gonzaga is probably my second favorite college basketball team. I know this is pretty weak, as far as threads go, but just thought I'd say hi and if there is a thread I have an opinion on (I see a lot of AAU bball) I might put my 2 cents in.

Zagdawg
04-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Welcome to the board-- !

tyra
04-28-2007, 08:01 AM
We'll see you at the Great Alaskan Shoootout this year. Should be fun. What are your expecting for your team in the upcoming year?

Nevtelen
04-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Welcome to the board!

How're Butler fans responding to the new coach so far?

Butler Guy
04-28-2007, 06:22 PM
The Great Alaska should be a decent tournament, although Ive heard whispers that Washington State might back out. In terms of expectation for Butler? The team should be markedly better than the Sweet 16 team last year, so I think its reasonable to assume another S16 or Elite 8 run. It should be fun. Im already jonesing for the season, I hate waiting around for November. How is Gonzaga looking? Are the drug issues from last year resolved? I saw you had some great 07 recruits, have you seen them play yet?

RenoZag
04-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Butler guy, if you use the "Search" feature and type in "Josh" or "Theo Davis" it will highlight the numerous threads related to them and include many points of view on their status and the "drug issues" you refer to. . .the coaching staff, or perhaps the AD said there would be 3 phases to the episode:
the legal, the student life. and finally, the team. The legal and student life aspects are more or less resolved and the team aspects will play out in the off-season and beyond.

Look forward to reading your observations in the future.

MickMick
04-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Graves coming back....oh noes! Hopefully we can put Larry Greganius on him. Those 3 point sharp shooters give us trouble. Last year Graves and Singletary (Virginia) stick out in my mind. Singletary was just hot...but Graves is Chinese water torture. Does he always wait until 5 seconds left to nail the three? He actually fools you into thinking the defense is good....for about 20 seconds or so.

BoltZag
04-28-2007, 10:24 PM
We'll see you at the Great Alaskan Shoootout this year.

arggg...it's the great ALASKA shootout. The same way it's ALASKA Airlines, not Alaskan.

tyra
04-29-2007, 07:33 AM
GAS Gaffe. Oops. Guess I'll just have to go up there this year so that I really get this down correctly.

sittingon50
04-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Many returning players but new Coach & new system. What is your sense of how they will mesh & will they be ready to go by Alaska?

Butler Guy
04-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Butler has been running the same system since '89. From '89 to '99 Barry Collier coached Butler before leaving for Nebraska (is now Butler's AD). Butler then hired assistant coach Thad Matta as head coach where he coached for a couple years before moving onto Xavier then Ohio State. Butler then hired assistant coach Todd Lickliter who coached though this season and left for Iowa. Butler then hired assistant coach Brad Stevens this season.

Nothing changes, its always the same, at Butler the coach wandering around on the sideline is of little consequence its the system that's in place that matters. (similar to the Oakland A's) The only difference between this year's team and last year's version will be the team is a year older and has gotten a lot better/deeper with the additions of Avery Jukes (Alabama transfer - 3star), Matt Howard (4-star), Zach Hahn (3-star), Grant Leindiecker (3-star), Shawn Vanzant, Jermain Raffington.

Im actually pretty pumped up, I think it will the best team in terms of talent/wins in the history of the school. I'll be disappointed if Butler finishes with fewer than 30 wins.

That being said, I didnt come over here to troll about Butler, how are the Zags looking? From an outsider, the team appears to make a deep run next year.

sittingon50
04-29-2007, 05:19 PM
For some reason I thought you guys had gone outside the organization for your Coach. Too many birthdays does that to a guy! You'll be fine, obviously.

We're all pumped for the Zags. Best recruiting class ever (on paper) coming in:
6'10" Wing Austin Daye. Led Orange County (Cal.) in PPG, RPG & Blocks. Dad Darin played @ UCLA & NBA
6' 4" Combo Guard Steven Gray (Wash. POY) led team to State Champ. game.
7' 0" Center Robert Sacre. Best player out of Brit. Columbia since Steve Nash. Dad was a Tight End in NFL, Mom a Basketball player @ LSU.
6' 4" PF Ira Brown. 1st Team JC All-American & former minor league Pitcher (in Spokane!). Already 23 yrs. old with 2 yrs. of eligibility remaining.

Add 2 Medical RS's: 6'5" Soph Wing Larry Gurganious (who would have really helped us against your guys last year as he may be our best perimeter defender) & 6'9" Fr. PF/C Theo Davis (who came to us via a rather circuitous route) but is the most highly rated player (coming out of HS) that the Zags have ever obtained.

Lost SG Derek Raivio (co WCC POY) & PF Sean Mallon + back-up CG Pierre Altidor-Cespides. Most fans think the Zags will have their most athletically talented (though young) team next year. Should PF Josh Heytvelt come back for his Sr. year in 2 years the Zags will be scary good.