PDA

View Full Version : Fran Fraschilla on Bouldin's NBA prospects

MBZags
02-19-2010, 10:53 PM
It seems like a regurgitation of everything we've already heard. Nonetheless, the article is Insider-only on ESPN, and here's Fraschilla's take on Bouldin:

Matt Bouldin, Senior, Gonzaga

Bouldin is one of the most complete guards in college basketball and deserves serious All-American consideration. In fact, I wonder how he would be perceived if he were playing in the Big East or the ACC on a nightly basis. In nine games against schools from the six power conferences, Bouldin is averaging almost 17 points, over five rebounds and four assists. So, how does his backcourt versatility translate to the NBA level? I would say favorably.

The first thing you like about Bouldin is his offensive efficiency. He shoots over 50 percent inside the arc, 40 percent from behind the arc and 86 percent from the free throw line. He has good size at 6-5 and has an excellent catch-and-shoot release, putting to use his good shooting touch. And, he can also make midrange shots off the dribble, especially going to his left.

While coach Mark Few has called him the Zags' best player the last two years, Bouldin has never needed to score to be valuable. Bouldin possesses a playmaker's feel for the game. While he doesn't have great quickness, he handles the ball well enough to get a team into its offense and has proven to be effective in Gonzaga's pick-and-roll game. His size helps him effectively find open teammates.

Bouldin's overall athleticism is below average for the NBA and, because of that, he will be a liability on the defensive end of the court. But he won't be the only guy in the league with that issue. His skill level and understanding of the game, on the other hand, is above average. He won't be a first-round selection, but as a "system player," he'll get a good look in the second round and has a chance to be playing in the league next season.

Xin Loi 67
02-20-2010, 08:32 AM
thanks MB.

Robzagnut
02-22-2010, 09:01 AM
I was watching the Utah Jazz the other night and I was thinking that Bouldin reminds of Deron Williams. A big, strong, smart point guard who is not that athletically gifted or real quick, but gets the job done.

tightface
02-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Partially agree. They do have a similar style of play, and both have good vision (DWill is 3rd in NBA in Assists/game), but nobody will confuse these two athletically:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjgn1i6OtDI

Deron is a pretty explosive player.

U Zig, I Zag
02-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Partially agree. They do have a similar style of play, and both have good vision (DWill is 3rd in NBA in Assists/game), but nobody will confuse these two athletically:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjgn1i6OtDI

Deron is a pretty explosive player.

What what? Matt can get up!!!

:D

azzagfan
02-22-2010, 11:11 AM
I think Matt could become a Dan Majerle-like player if he succeeds in making it to the league. Thunder Dan was a very good player; shot 3s very efficiently, was extremely strong, and was more athletic than most people gave him credit for, but he like many guys who make it in the NBA learned to be crafty and pick his spots really well as he fit into the Phoenix system.