PDA

View Full Version : Top 12 Zags of the last 12 years: #9

VanillaGorilla
02-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Interested to hear thoughts on the placement of #9 vs. #10. they really could go either way.

#12 Jeremy Pargo

#11 Derek Raivio

#10 Cory Violette
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=26918

#9 JP Batista
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8RzmjDzOdyY/Sl89mf_8GuI/AAAAAAAAEcs/uakpDNEuLIE/s400/J.P.+Batista.jpg

Why heís here: JPís senior year was pretty damn amazing. No Gonzaga big can match that single season over the last 12 years. Turiaf matched the rebounds but JP had 3+ ppg more. Casey almost matches the points but had almost 3 less rpg. His 636 total points his senior year are 7th highest all time and 3rd highest over our last 12 seasons. (Hendrix had 656 in í98 so I am cheating a little here) His 310 rebounds that year are only 3 shy of making the top 10 single list. No one new has made that list since 1978. He came along at a very important time for GU. Violette, Stepp, Fox and Bankhead were gone and we didnít yet know that Morrison was Morrison. He stepped up huge and with Turiaf formed a dominating frontcourt. The following year he stepped up even further and as described above had the best season of any Gonzaga big in recent memory. His feathery touch was made even more impressive by his phone book athleticism. He didnít pad his shooting numbers with dunks, but still finished his career with the 3rd highest FG% in program history. Despite only playing 2 seasons came remarkably close to 2 major milestones with 996 points and 490 rebounds.

Why heís not higher: Mostly because he played only 2 seasons. As a four year player he would be way up on the all time lists and quite possibly he would have gone down as the best Zag big ever. Also I would be remiss if I didnít mention a certain sequence of a sweet 16 game his senior year where he was 12 feet away from the best FT shooter EVER and couldnít find him to put the game away. He still goes down as an all-time great, but that turnover kept him from the eilte 8 and kept him from going any higher on this list. One play will never define a career, but that one play keeps him from being any higher on the list

Ezag
02-19-2010, 08:15 PM
JP was a class act and one guy I would love to have right now. Rob Sacre could then learn from one of the best post players in Gonzaga history!

ZagsObserver
02-20-2010, 01:18 AM
hmmmm, I can't agree with you on this one. Batista was great during the '05-'06 season, but he was a transfer and only played two seasons. Moreover, his first season was average to good in my opinion. He had bad hands his first year, and fumbled the ball many times when he had it down low, sometimes resulting in turnovers. If he had two great seasons I could see you giving it to him, but not for one great year. In conclusion, he was a tremendous asset to Gonzaga, but not that high on your list.

jazzdelmar
02-20-2010, 05:40 AM
batista for sacre and this years team is FF worthy.......assuming we get past the newly ferocious WCC bottom feeders....

kitzbuel
02-20-2010, 07:50 AM
My contention was, and still is, that the Zags missed JP more than Ammo.

If JP could join Casey in training Sacre....

hls97
02-20-2010, 07:59 AM
He didnít pad his shooting numbers with dunks

Not that you'd know that by the picture you included....

MDABE80
02-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Not sure a FF because his height but he was one of the best kids I've seen in our jersey...in the past decade. Knew how to play and he was a huge resaon we did a swt 16. AHEM...should have been E 8 had it not been for...

Gosh I loved this kid.