PDA

View Full Version : Student Union Building

zagco
02-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Are there plans in place to tear down the old SUB and build a new one. The facade of the old SUB looks just horribile, as if they are intentionally letting it go to hell in a handbasket.

madzag
02-04-2007, 07:31 PM
SUB=COG or SUB=Crosby?

I don't think anybody'd be disappointed about a COG update, but I think there'd be serious discontent among alumni & others if they touch Crosby (other than updating the inside w/ coffee/tv's/etc). I was there around the end of December and it didn't look significantly worse than it did 2 1/2 years ago when I was last there...Anyway, if they rebuild Crosby, they'd probably want to go bigger and that would probably screw with the Quad (more than the path already has) and be completely out of scale w/ Ad & DeSmet.

Just my $0.02.

(I sure sound old and cranky :)

a13coach
02-05-2007, 09:01 AM
I do not know if they are going to tear down the COG, but there is a plan in place now to build a new student center that will replace the combined spaces of Crosby and the COG, not necessarily replace the buildings (especially Crosby, it will be around for a long time). There are a lot of admin offices that are coveting the space that will be opened up in Crosby.

CampChamp
02-05-2007, 01:27 PM
I believe that upon the new building being completed the COG will be torn down and all services provided there will move into the new building.

lothar98zag
02-05-2007, 01:51 PM
I believe that upon the new building being completed the COG will be torn down and all services provided there will move into the new building.

Anyone know where this building is supposed to be located?

CampChamp
02-05-2007, 03:24 PM
I just went back and read the article in the Gonzaga Bulletin from late November. These are the excerpts that deal with the facts about the center, the rest kind of talks about the thought process behind building a student center.

The new student center will be located at the current site of the COG but will be much larger. The committee initially studied four sites: the COG, the tennis courts, the Knights of Columbus building and the stretch of land between Alliance and Campion. After listing pros and cons for each location, it was decided that the current COG site is most convenient.

When the center is complete, which Lindsay believes will happen in 2012, the location of Crosby and the COG will be virtually emptied. The committee has been discussing turning Crosby into a one-stop registration/process center.

As for the COG's future, the building will either be incorporated into the new design or demolished. Lindsay said that if it is financially feasible to demolish the COG, it will likely happen, as the building's split-level entry disrupts general traffic flow and is less inviting.

The center will include services that Crosby and the COG now offer, including resident dining. The committee hopes to reach a decision by this summer regarding the building's specific amenities. The school has interviewed and surveyed students for three years, according to Lindsay, and now has a basic wish list. It will likely hold offices for everything from GAMP to Diversity, along with several lounges, and have the possibility for retail space and extended fitness space as well.

lothar98zag
02-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the info. Interesting.

The only question I'd have is where would the COG services be located during construction if the COG was demo'd. But I'm sure they already have a plan for that...

madzag
02-05-2007, 07:54 PM
The COG update would be nice, and the bookstore could sure use a bit more space and a nicer location. The point about the split-level being not-so-conducive to traffic flow is very valid, it is a bit of a pain in the ass.

(here comes the old cranky woman in me again)

I think the loss of Crosby as student space would be kind of sad, I spent many an afternoon in there studying with a cup of coffee or just chatting with friends. It's more convienently located than the COG site for most of campus and it was usually possible to run over there between classes in Hughes for a cup of coffee, not so easy to get to the COG and back. The 2nd floor and basement could go to office space, but it'd be nice to see the main floor stay more or less as is.

CampChamp
02-05-2007, 10:13 PM
As a current student I would love to see Crosby stay. There's just something about the building that makes it seem like the definition of Gonzaga. As far as the bookstore getting more room there is going to be a retail outlet in the new Kennedy apartments that sells Gonzaga apparel. The bookstore will remain in it's current location but there will be another place to buy Gonzaga clothing. I think it will also sell gear from WSU and Eastern.

yourmom
02-06-2007, 01:03 AM
I also think it would be sad to just turn Crosby into a building full of offices. I'd like to see Crosby become a more "social" library type space. Keep coffee and some lounge space, but maybe add classrooms on the 2nd floor. I know there's been talk that the Broadcasting department wants to take over the entire Jour/Broad. builidng and you could put Student Pub. w/student lab and classrooms in Crosby. Just an idea. It would be great to keep it a place where students are constantly shuffling in and out.

a13coach
02-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Problem is that there are several admin offices that have run out of space and they are having to double up in some offices while moving others to converted closets. Where are you going to put the extra faculty/staff? That is one of the other problems with the growth GU has had over the last 10 years or so. Doubling (essentially) the UG population means adding more staff to handle the students needs...more faculty to keep class loads down and also to keep the number of advisees manageable. This staff and faculty growth has trailed the student growth but it is there and will continue to rise. There is virtually no space left in the admin building except for classrooms and well GU really can't eliminate them now can they? So a very logical and most economical solution would be to utilize space that will be vacated for a new building ala the Crosby Center...as opposed to constructing a new building on the periphery of campus and move those student services there. But then those services would no longer be in a convenient location for the students. I am sure the students would rather have easy access to student services (student accounts, advisors, student employment, etc) than another lounge space. And I know the university's mission would rather give the students access to services that help them with their education rather than a cool place to hang out.

Sorry for the long winded reply. :)

yourmom
02-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Well a lot of the offices that are in the Admin. building are going to be moved to the new student center.

And instead of increasing enrollment to a level where the campus can't contain them. Why not use those dollars to keep outstanding faculty here. That is one of the biggest complaints that I hear from my peers. The best profs stay for a couple years and then are out. If I wanted to be taught from some adjunct from SFCC, I would have gone to SFCC.

TR11Zag
02-06-2007, 07:29 PM
be too contaminated with grease to build on?

madzag
02-06-2007, 07:57 PM
And instead of increasing enrollment to a level where the campus can't contain them. Why not use those dollars to keep outstanding faculty here. That is one of the biggest complaints that I hear from my peers. The best profs stay for a couple years and then are out. If I wanted to be taught from some adjunct from SFCC, I would have gone to SFCC.

Bingo. I was back in Spokane over xmas for the first time since graduation and I swung by GU and chatted with one of the profs I used to work for and he joked that if I ever wanted to study "the uncontrolled growth of a system" he knew just the place to do it. At least I think he was joking.

I never encountered the situation where great faculty left--the bio department was remarkably stable, I can think of one not-so-great prof who left after 2001 or 2002 but that's it. I did work for an adjunct from SCC the last semester I was there and the difference in expectation for that class compared to the year before when I TA'ed the same course with a GU faculty member was astounding, she was amazed that students would show up for lab and in general didn't demand nearly as much from them as the faculty member (I was the stereotypical pain in the ass TA who made them work a bit, not too much though :).

The one thing I notice when I think about the really amazing profs I had is that most of them have been at GU forever (my parents took speech 101 from Harry Hazel, as did I; Tom Jeannot; my uncle worked for Dr. Nak and I loved ochem with him; and many others). There are a few younger/newer faculty I had who could eventually be really good as long as they stick around (I think they will), but I hope that GU continues to attract faculty who really love to teach and interact with students, even as the classes get bigger and advising duties, etc require a bigger chunk of time.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings for tonight...

a13coach
02-07-2007, 07:45 AM

There lies the rub...w/o all of the students there is not enough money coming in to pay higher salaries for good faculty and good staff since GU's budget is basically tuition driven. Lower the number of incoming students and you lower the dollars coming in.

I do agree that GU needs to really decrease the number of adjuncts, but I also believe one approach to this is to have some faculty teach more classes. I am shocked at the number of faculty who are only teaching 2-3 classes a semester. Now that may sound like a normal load to some folks but to a lot of working stiffs outside of academia that would be cruising.
And I believe that paying good money for quality faculty is a good thing should happen and I hope that will start to take place after the new big capital campaign is complete. But at the same time there are some tenured faculty who are getting big bucks but have no business teaching at GU. There needs to be a system in place to clear out the chaff.

a13coach
02-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Dr. Nak and I loved ochem with him;
Dr. Nak is one of the great profs there and yes his o-chem class was great...hard but great...did you too carry around the "green bible". :)

Symi81
02-22-2007, 12:32 PM
"The one thing I notice when I think about the really amazing profs I had is that most of them have been at GU forever (my parents took speech 101 from Harry Hazel, as did I; Tom Jeannot; my uncle worked for Dr. Nak and I loved ochem with him; and many others). There are a few younger/newer faculty I had who could eventually be really good as long as they stick around (I think they will), but I hope that GU continues to attract faculty who really love to teach and interact with students, even as the classes get bigger and advising duties, etc require a bigger chunk of time."

Man the above comments are some of the most spot-on analysis I have seen on this board in a long time. A veteran, stable faculty is really key to providing the kind of learning environment GU is supposedly aiming for. I had both Jeannot and Hazel, longtime guys like that help form the soul of GU.

In the business school my favorite faculty members were a mix of both younger members as well as longtime professors. One of my fav B-school teachers was Alan Singer, I think he only stayed for 1 year, sad. If you look at his background (http://www.mang.canterbury.ac.nz/people/singer.shtml)you'll see why its unfortunate GU lost him.

madzag
03-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Curious who this was?

Not a tenure-track prof, I think a visiting prof...initials were B.S.

lothar98zag
06-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Anyway, if they rebuild Crosby, they'd probably want to go bigger and that would probably screw with the Quad (more than the path already has) and be completely out of scale w/ Ad & DeSmet.
Why was a path put in anyway? Isn't a Quad supposed to be, you know, a quad?

spkngrl
06-22-2007, 11:04 AM

I do agree that GU needs to really decrease the number of adjuncts, but I also believe one approach to this is to have some faculty teach more classes. I am shocked at the number of faculty who are only teaching 2-3 classes a semester. Now that may sound like a normal load to some folks but to a lot of working stiffs outside of academia that would be cruising.

As the daughter of two college professors who, generally, have 3-4 courses a semester, there is a lot more time spent working than most people realize. It takes a good deal of time to grade papers and homework assignments. In addition to this, most are required to participate in various committees throughout campus that takes up quite a bit of time.

Furthermore, faculty who are being paid to research part of the time oftentimes never really get the *chance* to do that research. In the 21 years my father has been a professor at Eastern where he was he would have at least half the time to do research, he has been so overloaded with classes that he probably has had only about 1/5 of the time needed to do research.

Just some food for thought.

zagporvida
07-04-2007, 05:09 AM
Dr. Nak is one of the great profs there and yes his o-chem class was great...hard but great...did you too carry around the "green bible". :)

He reitred this year unfortunately for students but good for him. I took a photo science class from him as a non-science major and I really enjoyed it.