PDA

View Full Version : Sacre and the 5 position

Urika
02-19-2010, 08:51 AM
I come to your board as an unapologetic Gael fan...

With that said, I enjoy watching GU hoops and hope they make a deep run as what's good for Gonzaga is good for the conference.

Now my question, when is Sacre going to make his mark? He appears to have all of the physical tools....is it between the ears? Or, is it GU offensive schemes which lacks emphasis on a true 5?

To reference the book Moneyball, Sacre has "the face"

Last night seemed like a great example of a team facing GU with no answer on paper for Sacre, especially as LMU schemed Harris and Bouldin leaving the rest of the team to carry the mail.

How will Dower and the development of Olynyk affect Sacre in the future?

Colbyspapa
02-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Rob has shown flashes of brilliance this year and has been dominant down low in a few games against tough competition, but he still seems a bit uncomfortable as a primary scoring option. When he gets the ball in the post, he pauses before starting his move. He struggles against the double team as well.

I think by next year he will have worked out the pause. Mentally, he needs to feel that every time he touches the ball, he will score and a pass out is a secondary option. It will come with feel more than thought in my opinion. Rob is a beast physically and plays good defense. I expect great things from him. Next year, Dower will probably get 10-15 minutes a game and that will be good for Rob. Dower can play the 4 position as well when Elias needs a break. I think Kelly will develop into a 3. He is about as skilled any 6'11" player I have seen since Dirk Nowitski. If we can keep our bigs from going to the NBA, they will be very good.

gamagin
02-19-2010, 09:18 AM
I come to your board as an unapologetic Gael fan...

With that said, I enjoy watching GU hoops and hope they make a deep run as what's good for Gonzaga is good for the conference.

Now my question, when is Sacre going to make his mark? He appears to have all of the physical tools....is it between the ears? Or, is it GU offensive schemes which lacks emphasis on a true 5?

To reference the book Moneyball, Sacre has "the face"

Last night seemed like a great example of a team facing GU with no answer on paper for Sacre, especially as LMU schemed Harris and Bouldin leaving the rest of the team to carry the mail.

How will Dower and the development of Olynyk affect Sacre in the future?

junkyard dog. His inner Kuso, Pendo, Calvary, Turiaf.

And as one of the tv talking heads said recently, (i paraphrase): he needs to realize he's 7 feet tall and act like it.

23dpg
02-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Player trying to get rolling: That Gonzaga is capable of beating Wisconsin and Memphis (at Memphis) in the same season that it loses to San Francisco and Loyola Marymount is simultaneously impressive and troubling. The only explanation is that the Zags are good enough to play with anybody and unreliable enough to lose to anybody, particularly when Robert Sacre doesn't put the ball in the basket. The Zags struggled at home with Pepperdine last month when Sacre finished 0 for 3 from the field, lost to Loyola-Marymount late Thursday when Sacre was 0 for 5 from the field. I bring this up now because Gonzaga plays Saturday at Pepperdine. If Sacre shows up, the Zags should be fine. If not, who knows?

Rbo
02-19-2010, 09:23 AM
I would say Sacre needs a head, hands and heart transplant, with the donor being someone like Pendo. I've seen middle-aged six-footers (like myself) rebound with more authority. If there's a loose ball on the floor, possibly from bouncing off Sacre's hands, forget it. Jen the trainer would get to it before big Bobby. Scoring is a plus, but Sacre needs to start by rebounding like a legit 7-footer and getting in the game mentally from the opening tip.

allnet59
02-19-2010, 12:36 PM
rbo. all the hype and little substance so far. And i hate the excuse (wait until next year)

U Zig, I Zag
02-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Rob lacks something... mentally, physically - maybe both. He needs a jumpstart though, that's for sure.

Pull him in favor of a different lineup maybe? Meech, Matt, Steven, Harris and Kelly. Don't want to ruin Meech's new confidence but maybe play Matt, Gray, Manny up top and Harris an KO down low. Bring Meech and Sacre in at the first media break.

Who knows, maybe Rob wouldn't handle that change that well. Different players respond to different methods.

ChampZag
02-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Coming from a guy who spent most of his high school and college career being in the starting lineup, I can tell you whenever I came off the bench it lit a fire inside of me, even though I may have played the majority of the game over the guy that started for me, there's something about not starting that really pisses you off. Starting says to most people that this 5 is the best 5 on the team, which may not always be the case but not a lot of fans see it that way. But, then again, if he's got a mental issue, benching him might say we've lost trust in you and he'll continue to play timid and play to "not make mistakes", yes his hands are bad, he has no post moves but the turn around jumper and an occasional jump hook, but he's very strong, long, he's pretty much our only option at 5. But he has time to improve, i'm very excited about our inside game next year. Starting an improved Sacre, and I guarantee he will be working his ass off this summer, Harris if he stays hopefully, then Dower and hopefully a filled out, improved Olynk coming in. With those 4 our post game will be solid, Few will have some options, he can go long with Sacre and Dower or Olynk, he can go long and athletic with Olynk, Dower, Harris, many options. Really I am only worried about losing Bouldin, he is such a baller and our team leader, I will miss him greatly. Getting off the subject, in my opinion the reason why Zags play well against big opponents and suck against small conf opponents is they have nothing to prove to them. They play down to the comp, are less motivated. Good comp brings out the best in you(too bad this wasn't the case against the Dukies), but it seems like the players are hoping someone steps up to win the game and it's hard for them to play at a mediocre intensity level and still execute. Look at the St Marys game away, they were incredible, Harris' best game of the year, which we haven't seen since, Mich St, Wisc, Cincy. When you play with no emtion its tought to win, unless your Kansas, that's why America fell in love with Gonzaga, the level of emtion they played with. Anyways, that's just what I wanna see, more emotion. Hope I did not offend anyone with this post.

bigblahla
02-19-2010, 02:02 PM
I guess I'm just gettin to darn old all I see is our inability to anticipate and enter a post pass when Rob or Elias flash open.

Just my opinion!

Go!! Zags!!!

gamagin
02-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Coming from a guy who spent most of his high school and college career being in the starting lineup, I can tell you whenever I came off the bench it lit a fire inside of me, even though I may have played the majority of the game over the guy that started for me, there's something about not starting that really pisses you off. Starting says to most people that this 5 is the best 5 on the team, which may not always be the case but not a lot of fans see it that way. But, then again, if he's got a mental issue, benching him might say we've lost trust in you and he'll continue to play timid and play to "not make mistakes", yes his hands are bad, he has no post moves but the turn around jumper and an occasional jump hook, but he's very strong, long, he's pretty much our only option at 5. But he has time to improve, i'm very excited about our inside game next year. Starting an improved Sacre, and I guarantee he will be working his ass off this summer, Harris if he stays hopefully, then Dower and hopefully a filled out, improved Olynk coming in. With those 4 our post game will be solid, Few will have some options, he can go long with Sacre and Dower or Olynk, he can go long and athletic with Olynk, Dower, Harris, many options. Really I am only worried about losing Bouldin, he is such a baller and our team leader, I will miss him greatly. Getting off the subject, in my opinion the reason why Zags play well against big opponents and suck against small conf opponents is they have nothing to prove to them. They play down to the comp, are less motivated. Good comp brings out the best in you(too bad this wasn't the case against the Dukies), but it seems like the players are hoping someone steps up to win the game and it's hard for them to play at a mediocre intensity level and still execute. Look at the St Marys game away, they were incredible, Harris' best game of the year, which we haven't seen since, Mich St, Wisc, Cincy. When you play with no emtion its tought to win, unless your Kansas, that's why America fell in love with Gonzaga, the level of emtion they played with. Anyways, that's just what I wanna see, more emotion. Hope I did not offend anyone with this post.

he has most if not all of the attributes and has showed them. I think it's confidence. real versus imagined swagger. perhaps immaturity. I'm not sure. All I know is when he's relaxed he's as athletic as 95% of the athletes I've watched. However, he is quickly rattled, tries too hard, becomes wooden and deliberate (like the tinman without enough oil), gets out of position and on and on.

Micah Downs used to do that way too often in his junior year, some of you may recall. Confusion is different than an inability to get the job done.

Other games, like MSU he is confidently shooting picture perfect jump shots, attacking & protecting his space and jumping around as well or better than JH in his youth.

In other words, I've seen him dribble, pass, shoot, defentd, board and even put back. And I've seen him appear unable to do any of that.

That's why I think the problem is centered between is ears. This is actually his first full year, so I'm counting on him to grow into the tasks at hand. Even though he has demonstrated enough for me to realize all the skills are there, they are just underemployed for some reason.

mee755
02-19-2010, 03:59 PM
He's still mighty fine to watch.