PDA

View Full Version : President Obama picks Zags to advance to the.....

2k4knight
02-19-2010, 08:51 AM
So, I just wanted to relay to you all a little encounter I had yesterday with President Obama.

I live in Denver and the President came for a couple of fundraisers to support US Senator Michael Bennet. I have been working for one of Colorado's more prominent elected officials since I graduated from GU in 2007 and I was lucky enough to staff him yesterday for the events with the President.

I knew that there was a slim chance that I might get a few seconds with the President during a photo opportunity. Myself and my roommate (who works in the same office as me) brainstormed for a full 24 hours debating what I should say with my ten seconds with the President. Should I ask him what his favorite book is? Should I ask him how his meeting with the dalai lama went yesterday morning? No....I decided since he is such a hoops fan, as am I, that I would ask him how far my Zags were going to go in the tournament?

As the day wore on it looked like timing was not going to allow me to get my chance. But luck was on my side and I ended up in a room with a hand-full of high paying donors waiting to get there picture taken. As I neared the front of the line I was strangely not nervous at all. My time came, I shook hands with the President and Senator Bennet and as we smiled for the camera I said out of the corner of my mouth...."How far are you going to have my Zags in the tournament this year?"

........Silence..........Thoughts began racing through my head as seconds ticked by and the President was silent. Was I not supposed to ask questions with my few seconds of time with him? Did he somehow think the Zags were some nomad tribe causing problems in some far away country and I was trying to talk policy with him??

Finally...as the camera man stopped taking photos President Obama turns to me and says, "Not far." My jaw dropped as he shrugged and said with a smirk, "Sweet Sixteen." I grinned and laughed and told him "Oh come on! Elite Eight at least!" We both laughed pretty hard as I was shuffled out of the room by the Secret Service and the next couple was brought up to have their picture taken.

Pretty cool event in my life and thought you all would be interested to hear about it!

-2k4knight

23dpg
02-19-2010, 08:59 AM
very cool

Zagpower
02-19-2010, 09:01 AM
What a great story!

GonzagaSwagga
02-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Nice. Very nice.

gamagin
02-19-2010, 09:03 AM
hope he's right.

Knotsolucky
02-19-2010, 09:23 AM
How cool was that? Very cool that's how cool.....:)

cjm720
02-19-2010, 10:02 AM
That's one of the coolest Zag fans stories ever....

bballbeachbum
02-19-2010, 10:02 AM
How cool was that? Very cool that's how cool.....:)

+ 1! thanks for sharing your story

LongIslandZagFan
02-19-2010, 10:06 AM
truth hurts

Not an issue of truth... NO POLITICS ON THIS BOARD. PERIOD. You want talk politics do it in the OCC.

BoZarth
02-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Hope you got a picture.

Go Zags!!!!

2k4knight
02-19-2010, 10:44 AM
yeah it was one of the coolest things I have ever done for sure. I am supposed to get pictures back hopefully in the next couple of days from the photographer and if I can figure it out I will post them. Go Zags!

-2k4knight

everybodycougsit
02-19-2010, 11:28 AM
He was probably thinking, "I dont know or care about the zags. What answer can I give that wont offend this guy?" Sweet Sixteen Buddy!

gozagswoohoo
02-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Wow! What a cool story!!

rijman
02-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Great story.

I have to admit one of the things I like about Obama, there aren't many, is that he is a huge college basketball fan.

gu03alum
02-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Cool story, thank you for sharing.

sullyzag66
02-19-2010, 03:09 PM
I like the story; not much more to say. Thanks for sharing.

Time to lock; folks just can't resist. . .

ID ZAGFAN
02-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Love the story. Thanks for sharing. :)

Don't love the politicization of this thread by some of the posters. :(

I avoid the OCC for a reason!

ID ZAGFAN

alaskazagnut
02-19-2010, 04:21 PM
It is a tough choice but if I had to choose between health care reform and the Zags winning it all, I would choose the Zags winning it all.

TheZagPhish
02-19-2010, 04:45 PM
OCC-bound?

JohnOGU
02-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Very cool story. On another note, over the years I've learned that when a political discussion/debate begins, there is usually no end in site. A reason why i keep the thoughts to myself. Whether any of you like or dislike Obama means jack #### to me. Keep it off of the board.

Zagregious
02-19-2010, 07:46 PM
So many things to type, so little time before this locks.......

Would have been interested to hear whether or not he says "Gonzawguh"

What would WooHoo have asked? OK, OK, off topic.

CB4
02-19-2010, 08:53 PM
So many things to type, so little time before this locks.......

Would have been interested to hear whether or not he says "Gonzawguh"

What would WooHoo have asked? OK, OK, off topic.

I specifically remember watching Obama's bracket selection last March when he picked Gonzaga to lose to NC in the S16 and I remember being impressed with his proper pronunciation.

Zagregious
02-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Good to hear, good to hear. His family ties to Pac-10 hoops through Robinson help, I would imagine.

I promise I wasn't assuming the worst, especially since it's highly likely that the POTUS is a lurker here. (my best guess he's a huge Will Foster fan, so maybe "jeremymccreary".

ZagsGoZags
02-19-2010, 10:45 PM
I don't like people taking cheap shots at the President. I'll bet he knows more about the zags than we might imagine.

MEZAG
02-20-2010, 12:11 AM
Love the story. Thanks for sharing. :)

Don't love the politicization of this thread by some of the posters. :(

I avoid the OCC for a reason!

ID ZAGFAN

How in the #ell can a thread about Obamas opinion of the Zags fate in the tourney not become political fodder?

It's like throwing a salmon to a grizzly and insisting he leaves it alone.

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-20-2010, 03:31 PM
I don't know what's more difficult. Watching Foster shoot free throws or resisting making an unwanted political comment about the president.

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Forgot to mention:
Congratulations on meeting the president. No matter who it is or what you think of him, that is quite an honor and a memory I'm sure you will share many times over the rest of your life.

Would you trade it for a tourney W though?

HOOTER
02-20-2010, 06:44 PM
WE'RE DOOMED!!

Calm down folks. Just playin'. Great story BTW!

MJ777
02-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Nice story. Trying not to type anything political on the Big Board ...................:boxing:
Nice win tonight. Go Zags!