PDA

View Full Version : Bench Play

SpokastSports
02-18-2010, 09:48 PM
After watching this game a second time, and realizing the youth on this team, I think the weight of this loss is less than it would be in preceding years. I don't think this hurts GU any worse than seeding in March, and in a do-or-die setting it's tough to sleep-walk through a game.

However, the bench options is really glaring. Few needs to be more consistent with his experiments with playing time during a game. We saw that he went with a more direct replacement scheme when foul trouble came up. There was no shuffling of positions, thus why GJ came in out of nowhere.

If the Zags need some offense and choose Kong, should they not try and insert him during a small lead that is dwindling or a fresh deficit? Why wait till your gas is empty and you're flat and you hear the student section get louder and louder? Seeing that the mainstays at guard, Steven and Matt were not on it offensively (shooting AND passing) or in transition, why not see what Arop (granted with a couple youth mistakes) can do after scoring 7 points in 10 early minutes?

I understand that these players have a short leach, but at what point do you just completely go with the hot hand or different option across the board, rather than that constantly swiveling 5th player on the court?

1973Zag
02-19-2010, 04:34 AM
What happened that GG has totally disappeared in the last couple games, and GJ has re-appeared from nowhere? ANy ideas or info?-just seems a bit strange to make such a drastic switch this close to tournament. GG seemed to be working in the mix, and GJ hasn't been off the bench since the holidays

whatazag
02-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Subbing pattern was strange. I think that Few and staff probably were not worried until the near the end of the game, figuring that the guys would pull their heads out and start making shots, so they were continuing to use WCC games to experiment with lineups and it came back and bit them this game. The first thing I noticed was Gray got hot early and hit a couple 3s and was playing well, and was immediately subbed out. I know some people on the board love Kong, but in my opinion Arop is the better player, even offensively. I'd be more in favor of keeping the rotation a little shorter, and letting the guys get in rhythm. Same goes for randomly subbing in GJ.

gamagin
02-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Few has been pretty clear about what he's trying to do with his substitutions.

He says he puts in people who have shown promise in practice, but who also need to be ready, and ultimately need to perform immeidately, right off the bench.

He says performance is the way subs gain p.t. and they need to take advantage when called. They get the opportunity by shining in practice and they get the call when he decides he needs them and at that point, they are expected to perform. All players know this and also know the rules.

I understand his position and respect it.

That said, I, too, wonder about the substitutions, who goes in and who goes out at times. Who doesn't get in at all and who does.

I think where we part ways, all of us, with the coach, is we see the games only and thus see one or another player turn in some great minutes (like Arop early on) -- only to be seated, or played less, the next game.

To me, it makes Few look confused, panicky, unable to tell what is going on in the heat of battle. Inevitably, some question his very essence.

But on reflection, I think it is time the full and part time players fix their own inconsistencies, realize exactly how to get more p.t. and enter prepared to do what is expected of them and then DO IT. Same with the starters.

It's also time for me, and perhaps all of us, to realize and appreciate the gap in my/our own observations and try to better understand the real challenges under scrutiny, versus the snapshots we see game to game.

Inconsistency seems to be the only constant for our Zags. On and off the floor. The same could be said about us posters on and off the GUB.

And just like life itself, we all need to rededicate ourselves to work harder & become more consistent if we hope to better ourselves & advance to the next level, or even to win the next game.

BroncoZAG615
02-19-2010, 10:15 AM
What happened that GG has totally disappeared in the last couple games, and GJ has re-appeared from nowhere? ANy ideas or info?-just seems a bit strange to make such a drastic switch this close to tournament. GG seemed to be working in the mix, and GJ hasn't been off the bench since the holidays

This has been my biggest issue as well. It honestly feels like he is trying to give all these backcourt guys some playing time here and there so they don't transfer or something.

We heard that G.J. had a nagging foot issue and some other issues which limited his playing time but he has just not really "fit" when he comes in. I don't know what it is but I really miss Grant's presence on the court and he's been surpassed by Vilarino.

We worried about how much backcourt depth we had a the start of the year and this is a really good example of our worries coming to fruition.