PDA

View Full Version : Giacoletti post game with Hudson-LMU

Section 116
02-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Hudson noted the Zags started shooting 14-27, and after that they went 4-28. And in that 4-28 stretch were 6 turnovers as well, that won't win games. Ray said we couldn't score, made some bad decisions and then started pressing. LMU stuck around and started to believe, and they have some athletes on that team. They had 19 assists and that led to great shots from good looks. Hudson noted all the Zags were off shooting tonight, something that hasn't happened this season. Ray noted we got next to nothing in the paint, tow of Harris's buckets were from three and Rob was 0-5 from the floor. We have to do a better job of feeding the post. LMU went small and they were a tough matchup. They kept us on our heels. We'll spend the day tomorrow getting ready for Pepperdine, we need to refocus. The WCC championship is not won yet!

jayray
02-18-2010, 07:38 PM
I was watching on Justin.tv so I could not see the game very well. However, I don't recall any points coming off of defense. They needed to step up the defense earlier and get points off of defense. When your offense isn't working use your defense, get some steals, tips and fast breaks, anything to get the offensive wheels turning.

alaskazagnut
02-18-2010, 07:41 PM
I thought they had learned how to win against sub 200 RPI teams. This is a catastrophe for our Selection Sunday seed.

It was as if the Zags couldn't run their plays. Like they were flustered, sloppy rushed and panicked. I can see now that their confidence is very fragile. They get a "deer in the headlights" type of play when they get out of their game.

This game was more on Mark Few than the players in my opinion. Few has to have a confident plan "B" when their "A" game is not working. If plan B fails then they need to have a confident "C" plan. I am not convinced they can adapt to hardship during the game like they will need to have later. We are in trouble if we can't win out the rest of the season, and I mean the conference tournament too. I'm serious, we are in trouble.

By "In trouble", I mean getting out of the first round of the Tournament. But hey, this is just a game, right? Why care or take it seriously? Right?

"Just have fun and enjoy it. We are doing better than we expected anyway so chill out alaskazagnut!! Stop being a negaZag. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. Let Few captain the ship and just be a happy sailor. Losing this game is good for these guys cause they learned some things they will need later. Don't worry they will be fine, they needed this." This type of talk is from fans who are happy with our post season history and really can't see how to get beyond an occasional Sweet 16.

I don't think most people here on this board want a national championship or expect it. I expect it. Now I am pissed. I have a passion for my Zags and I am upset. Do the Zags themselves believe they can win a national championship? I don't hear anyone talking about what they need to do to win it. I don't hear anyone on this board who is upset that the team continues the same habits and losses that make it hard to win a national championship. All I hear is the occasional "Zags are Final Four material". And that doesn't come from here or the coaching staff. It comes from the sports writers and outsiders.

It is time to hold our athletes and staff to the next higher level. That is the level of the Elite. That is the level of consistent Final Four's and championship games.

Why doesn't anyone here want to win the championship? Why is the only goal "to go deep in the tournament.?" If they did they wouldn't accept these losses. We need to ask them to get to the next level. Maybe even demand it. I see a national championship team here. Anyone else?

Birddog
02-18-2010, 08:20 PM
We have to do a better job of feeding the post.
Yeah, and when we do, the post can't go to the iron limp wrist ed either.
Way too many missed putbacks on half a$$ed attempts.

They game planned Harris and Bouldin real well, Sacre was soft, and the shots didn't fall. It was probably our best effort from the FT line though. Not much solace in that however.

gbnyba17
02-18-2010, 09:13 PM
I thought they had learned how to win against sub 200 RPI teams. This is a catastrophe for our Selection Sunday seed.

It was as if the Zags couldn't run their plays. Like they were flustered, sloppy rushed and panicked. I can see now that their confidence is very fragile. They get a "deer in the headlights" type of play when they get out of their game.

This game was more on Mark Few than the players in my opinion. Few has to have a confident plan "B" when their "A" game is not working. If plan B fails then they need to have a confident "C" plan. I am not convinced they can adapt to hardship during the game like they will need to have later. We are in trouble if we can't win out the rest of the season, and I mean the conference tournament too. I'm serious, we are in trouble.

By "In trouble", I mean getting out of the first round of the Tournament. But hey, this is just a game, right? Why care or take it seriously? Right?

"Just have fun and enjoy it. We are doing better than we expected anyway so chill out alaskazagnut!! Stop being a negaZag. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. Let Few captain the ship and just be a happy sailor. Losing this game is good for these guys cause they learned some things they will need later. Don't worry they will be fine, they needed this." This type of talk is from fans who are happy with our post season history and really can't see how to get beyond an occasional Sweet 16.

I don't think most people here on this board want a national championship or expect it. I expect it. Now I am pissed. I have a passion for my Zags and I am upset. Do the Zags themselves believe they can win a national championship? I don't hear anyone talking about what they need to do to win it. I don't hear anyone on this board who is upset that the team continues the same habits and losses that make it hard to win a national championship. All I hear is the occasional "Zags are Final Four material". And that doesn't come from here or the coaching staff. It comes from the sports writers and outsiders.

It is time to hold our athletes and staff to the next higher level. That is the level of the Elite. That is the level of consistent Final Four's and championship games.

Why doesn't anyone here want to win the championship? Why is the only goal "to go deep in the tournament.?" If they did they wouldn't accept these losses. We need to ask them to get to the next level. Maybe even demand it. I see a national championship team here. Anyone else?

+ 10!!! very well said. i almost feel theres a lack of fire in the GU program, which i thought wasnt the case with this years team.

FlyZag
02-18-2010, 09:22 PM
We shot 85% from the line. Something positive.

MickMick
02-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Poor shooting night.

LMU played great.

Nothing much more to say.

Virginia Zags Fan
02-19-2010, 06:27 AM

Look, I don't think anyone would like a title more than Mark Few. He is a very comptetitive guy and would love to show the guys from something U and xxx State that he is the guy. There is no doubt in my mind that this team aged him about 5 years last night as he knew exactly what the ramifications of losing are.

I think everyone on this board would LOVE a national championship. It would be one of the best days of my family's life as we are all addicted Zags fans. However, if you put your emotional well-being on the backs of 18-22 year olds, you are bound to be disappointed.

Lets put a little perspective on this. Living near DC, people are after Gary Williams and John Thompson III today. They expect a national championship out of both of them this year! Didn't like losing to SYR last night. I was in Raleigh last week and they are wondering what in the world happened to UNC. Oh well, at least they expect Duke or Wake to win the title this year. We all want GU to win the title. Every other team wants to win the title. There are a lot of REALLY, REALLY, GOOD TEAMS out there that will not even make it to the tourney, let alone the Sweet 16.

I would love a title, more than anything, but anytime your team wins its conference and makes it to the tourney is a good start in the grand scheme of things.

cjm720
02-19-2010, 06:39 AM
Poor shooting night.

LMU played great.

Nothing much more to say.

Agree, quite simple. Two more shots made and we win...to suggest it's a lack of want or fire by the players and or coaches is such a selfish tactic by fans. We are constantly improving the program as a whole, we're on the path to a final four. But don't confuse our program with programs such as Duke, Kentucky, Kansas etc. Comparisons to others can be a healthy motivator but can also have negative impacts. We're a perennial top 20 team, not a perennial Championship ready team (yet).

Go Zags!!! Beat Pepp!!!

tobizag
02-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Look, I don't think anyone would like a title more than Mark Few. He is a very comptetitive guy and would love to show the guys from something U and xxx State that he is the guy. There is no doubt in my mind that this team aged him about 5 years last night as he knew exactly what the ramifications of losing are.

I think everyone on this board would LOVE a national championship. It would be one of the best days of my family's life as we are all addicted Zags fans. However, if you put your emotional well-being on the backs of 18-22 year olds, you are bound to be disappointed.

Lets put a little perspective on this. Living near DC, people are after Gary Williams and John Thompson III today. They expect a national championship out of both of them this year! Didn't like losing to SYR last night. I was in Raleigh last week and they are wondering what in the world happened to UNC. Oh well, at least they expect Duke or Wake to win the title this year. We all want GU to win the title. Every other team wants to win the title. There are a lot of REALLY, REALLY, GOOD TEAMS out there that will not even make it to the tourney, let alone the Sweet 16.

I would love a title, more than anything, but anytime your team wins its conference and makes it to the tourney is a good start in the grand scheme of things.

you make much more sense than the above poster.