PDA

View Full Version : Just like against USF.

alaskazagnut
02-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Their intensity was not matched by Gonzaga. Then Gonzaga wilted when they lost the lead. Gonzaga needs to get back into THEIR game. Not LMU's game. The silly rushed shot selection is rediculous. Sloppy play coupled with LMU's tight defense is causing silly looking turnovers and awkward ball handling.

This hurts to see this again. I thought Gonzaga had figured out how to match intensity no matter what. To be more precise, I feel that Gonzaga was fairly intense and showed the desire and heart, but their offense was sloppy and rushed and they could not hit their shots. They let LMU mess with their entire game plan. They let em do it.

To win you have to be intense AND make shots. I am worried about our NCAA tournament chances now, more than ever. They should be too.

CB4
02-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Craig Ehlo summed up tonight's game in two words: "Oh no!"

Zerogame
02-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Well, that sucks!

Pleasant Peninsula
02-18-2010, 07:10 PM
I feel sick.

d2zag
02-18-2010, 07:19 PM
I feel sick.

Me too. Really sick.

gamagin
02-18-2010, 07:20 PM
28 fg's. Had at least 10 t.o's. Shot 25 % second half and 34% for the game. gave up underneath at both ends.

Can't win that way.

Hat's off to LMU. They listened to their coach, did their homework, and shut us down underneath at both ends for long, long periods of time.

That we let them do that is on us. Hopefully this is another lesson learned.

MB had a bad night but "someone" should have stepped up and taken his place. that didn't happen, either.

So it went. So it goes.

MedZag
02-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Zags looked snakebit tonight. They ramped up the defensive intensity for a bit to try to settle into their game, but LMU got all the bounces and after a bit you saw the players get demoralized. They're young adults, it happens.

No way we're winning with our big 3 going 10 for 35. Our bench can score, but do it best in the flow on the game. When our main offensive threats aren't producing, I think the bench wilts under the pressure to produce because it's them or nothing.

C'est la vie. Turn on the olympics and feel better about your life.

ID ZAGFAN
02-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Well, that sucks!

Bigtime!

ID ZAGFAN

Just A Zag
02-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Craig Ehlo summed up tonight's game in two words: "Oh no!"

Or when he jinxed us " Gonzaga will not lose again in the WCC"- as a game was going on!

coolhandzag
02-18-2010, 07:27 PM
The Zags weren't ready physically, mentally or emotionally. Give LMU all the credit in the world. They dictated to the Zags, and my club did not respond.

That last bucket with one second on the shot clock was as close to inexcusable as it gets.

Teams don't get the opportunity to play the first two rounds of the bracket minutes from campus very often. Itís a shame they didnít take it more seriously.

Saturday night will tell me ALOT!

BlueVoodoo07
02-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Lmu did good tonight but we had our shots they just wouldn't fall...Before we get to down on our guys remember everybody's record is the same when the the Madness come's around. We will be alright Go Zags

adoptedzag
02-18-2010, 07:34 PM
If I hear that one more time, I will seriously throw up. This is not a new occurrence. That's why the kids want to play for GU. If you didn't know that when you were recruited, you were living under a rock.

This team needs to remember who they are and look at the name on their chest and play as hard as the players of the past who got them to the status that they enjoy today.

2 losses to WCC teams = no more playing in Spokane for the NCAAs.

allnet59
02-18-2010, 07:38 PM
This team seems to always play to the others teams level. Nothing in the paint R.S 27 minutes and two points from the charity line. Meech scores 11 points with NO assists. Hurried sloppy shots the whole second half. Hand it two LMU they played the zags hard both games and i can see this happening Saturday as well. It didn't seem we ever had a really good five on the flor at one time. Manny gave us energy then was sat down on the bench for way to long.

1973Zag
02-18-2010, 07:40 PM
We just made things a whole lot tougher. We earned the OVER-RATED chant tonight, and will pay for it on selection day. Just can't believe the guys weren't motivated tonight!

drnoe
02-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Very frustrating to watch the Zags' ineffectiveness in the paint. LMU did a great job defensively, and it's too bad the Zags didn't do likewise. What will be even more frustrating is if LMU gets knocked out in the first round of the WCC tourney. They are clearly the most athletic team in the WCC now that they are at full strength. The Zags didn't have it tonight on offense, and they certainly didn't on defense. Should be a good wake-up call. This will be Bouldin's last bad game of his college career.

Virginia Zags Fan
02-18-2010, 07:42 PM
6 in San Jose?

Pleasant Peninsula
02-18-2010, 07:57 PM
6 in San Jose?

If they win out...

MJ777
02-18-2010, 10:24 PM
I'll take a 6 in San Jose. Play the 11, the 3 or 14 and then the 2, 7, 10 or 15 while avoiding the 1 until the EE.

The Zags seem to struggle with high seeds and lose early with last year being the exception. I think being out of Spokane will relax the team and take some of the pressure off. It sucks for the local fans though.

Go Zags! :)

Ezag
02-18-2010, 11:00 PM
This was a team loss but Sacre really sucked the worst in there tonight if there is a prize for that.

CDC84
02-19-2010, 08:34 AM
This one was worse than USF. At least with USF you can say that the game went to overtime, the Zags were on a long winning streak and were due to lose, etc. But last night Gonzaga faced a team that physically manhandled them. They weren't strong with the basketball and displayed zero toughness.

JLGutrocks
02-19-2010, 08:54 AM
This was a team loss but Sacre really sucked the worst in there tonight if there is a prize for that.

Wow. All of you fair-weather bandwaggoners suck. Sure it was a bad loss but quit pilin on the krap. The guys feel worse about it then you could ever imagine. You call yoursleves fans then spit on your team? gimme a break.

dim4sum
02-19-2010, 01:26 PM
We could have used an effective big out there--and neither Sacre or Foster was it. Sacre has reverted to his no-threat-to-score mode of his freshman year. And Meech, though scoring, still has not learned to involve his teammates in what he is doing. By now, he should know the definition of a point guard: make other players better, make the team as a whole function better. On both counts he misses the boat sorely.
With Bouldin gone next year, I'm concerned about a huge, irreplaceable leadership vacuum. Steven Gray is to erratic to qualify as a leader.

primal23
02-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Poling was not an effective big.

alaskazagnut
02-19-2010, 03:09 PM
the issue is experimenting with the rotation too early and for no immediate reason. We were ten points up and the coaching staff changes up to experiment because we are ahead? We can't risk it. This happened at USF with too much time given to Gibbs and at the wrong time IMO. That is just my opinion. Against LMU it was the timing of the changes and the cold shooting. Gray should never have left the floor. Even though he played the most minutes he should've never left in the first place. At that point our momentum was killed and LMU knew what they needed to do. They did it.

To anybody who reads this, remember this is just my opinion. If you give information or a better opinion, tell me what it is. Don't just tell me I am wrong without any explanation.

Few needs to take his coaching to the next level IMO. We need to demand that if we want to win a national championship IMO. Fews habit of changing the game plan when we are up by 10 or 15 is wrong IMO, especially when everything is working great!!. Its OK to experiment during the out of conference schedule. But to not take our own conference teams seriously before or during the game for the entire 40 minutes? We are getting different athletes now. Few can learn from some of the greatest "ego managers" like Bobby Knight and Roy Williams and Dean Smith. That is all Few lacks right now as a coach, to figure out how to not let the guys ever let up or think they have nothing to worry about because they are a top 10 team.

I expect the best and our kids expect our staff to make sure they understand that any team can beat us on any given night. That is what this sport is about. That is the fundamental premise. That is why we love it. That FACT is why preparation and execution is the so important. The biggest mistake in sports (and war) is to underestimate your enemy. Yet we do that regularly. The polls and fans tell us how good we are on paper. Then it trickles down to the players. Then it becomes habit especially when we squeek by with wins in spite of not giving 100%. That is called a bad habit and our program is caught up in it from the top, on down. Heck, I'm guilty too because it's human nature. I myself figured that after the first road trip of the season, we were home free. "Chalk up another conference championship" because, On paper, the road ST Marys and Portland games were the toughest.

It is Fews job to step up his coaching, teaching, and game time philosophy. It is his job to eradicate the overconfidence and lack of respect to our opponents this team can have. This is IMO what separates Few from the top coaches who consistently take teams to the final four and the Championship games. He can get there. Everyone needs to grow. Everyone can do better. Few can too. I am not down on Few or bashing him or tearing him down. I love Mark Few and he is the reason we are here. But he can improve and IMO, it needs to start with a return to some fundamentals. One fundamental being that you never, ever underestimate your opponent.

Am I way wrong here? Can we reverse this trend of overconfidence and playing down to our opponents? Or do we just shrug our shoulders and say its human nature, they are just kids, and we must accept it.

If anyone bothered to get this far remember this is just my opinion. I am willing to hear others opinions.

maroon93
02-19-2010, 05:48 PM
i agree 100 percent. this is a great analysis. thanks

alaskazagnut
02-20-2010, 02:49 AM
Wow. All of you fair-weather bandwaggoners suck. Sure it was a bad loss but quit pilin on the krap. The guys feel worse about it then you could ever imagine. You call yoursleves fans then spit on your team? gimme a break.

No one spits on the Zags, IMO. Who is spitting on our team? Look at the olympics. Have you seen the faces of some of the athletes that win silver medals? It looks like they came in last. That doesn't mean they are spitting on the silver medal!!! It just means that is how valuable gold is. For me, a Sweet 16 is like a silver medal. This team legitimately can win the title. Why shouldn't I want or expect that. They are so close. BTW JLGutrocks, how do you know there isn't someone who feels worse then they do about that loss? Do you think anyone on the team literally cried about the loss? I doubt it. But I know a zag fan who did cry. There are some fans out there on their death bed. There are fans who might care more than they do because every game might be the last they ever see. It is just a game, but for some fans it is more than that. Each game could be the last we get to see too. Time is not ours to relegate. If the team treated each game like that, we would win the championship IMO. They seem to lose that urgency this time of the year because they know they are automatically in the Dance. Just like NFL teams who have clinched a playoff spot. They take a break and rest. Plus the other teams that just barely got in are clicking on all cylinders. It's do or die for them.

I go to games to cheer Rah Rah. I come to this discussion board to discuss. This is a discussion board!! I root for my team, wear some form of Gonzaga gear every day. But win or lose, at the end of every game and season, I am happy, satisfied and proud to be a ZAG!!!! The team knows they have some of the greatest fans and IMO, they really do appreciate us for both the compliments and the criticism.

BTW, I am totally jaded. I am used to my team winning. I don't like losing. But the losses like the Spartans I love to watch. But losses like USF, LMU and Wake Forest are travesties. They expose a serious lack of substance that can be fixed sooner than later. I want more than a Sweet 16. A final four is so close. We have the talent and above all we have the coaching staff every year for a championship dynasty like UCLA back in the 60' and 70's. I seriously believe we have the staff to do that.

These guys are so lucky. They are heroes to to millions of people and to entire metropolitan communities. They get tons of praise, good jobs/careers after they graduate and they get the best seats in the house. They get free ride scholarships to a superior University, they get great educations, NBA scouts watch them for million dollar contracts, OH and not to mention they get all the hottest women too, and all this because they play a game. So no, I don't feel sorry for them for reading honest or harsh criticism after bad losses. IMO they would agree with most of the topics and opinion on this board.

If some people here will stop calling other members on this board crappy, negative, spitty, bad Zags fans.... then you won't have to deal with my diatribes and histrionics about how this is a discussion board and EVERYONE here is a Zag fan and why they have a right to point out faults and solutions on a forum designed for that purpose. I'm sure most of you are sick of seeing my 10 paragraph posts defending my opinions and previous posts.