View Full Version : 12 best Zags over the last 12 years: #10

VanillaGorilla
02-16-2010, 05:46 PM
#12 Jeremy Pargo
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=26821

#11 Derek Raivio
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=26879

10. Cory Violette
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/confs/west/sports/m-baskbl/import/violette_dunk.jpg
Why hes here: He hit the glass like no other Zag in recent memory. He was maybe the best rebounder weve ever had when you adjust for era. The only two people ahead of him on the all-time list finished their careers in 1955 and 1967. He barely played 10 minutes a game as a freshman and still finished with 880 career rebounds; 123 more than Casey, for reference. Turiaf and Batista both had single season averages higher Cory during their senior years, but no one has come close to the three straight 8.0+ rpg seasons that Cory put up. He could score it too; evidenced by his 1,342 career points. He was remarkably consistent his final three years with pts/rbs averages of 12.8/8.3, 11.4/8.0, 13.9/8.1. Really improved his shooting/scoring his senior year which for my money was the best Zag team ever (though, obviously not when factoring in post season success). Just an absolute warrior of a basketball player. When I think of Cory I think of him with that giant wrap in his elbow, clearing space in the paint and packing it with authority. Played through anything, tough as nails.

3-time all conference performer; Finished 16th all-time in scoring (now 17th);3rd all time leading rebounder(1st in last 43 years); 7th in blocked shots

Why hes not higher: Mainly because weve had so many great players the last 12 years. Not many teams outside of the really elite would have a 10th best player over any 12 year span be as good as Cory. But also when you look at the teams he was on, he was really never more than the third banana. He played with Blake all 4 years, Turiaf for 3 years Dickau for 2 years and Morrison and Cavalry for a year each. All of those guys rank higher on this list. He was really good, but he was never asked to be truly great for any of the teams he was on.

What do you think? fair/unfair. is Cory too high? too low?

billyberu
02-16-2010, 07:07 PM
What do you think? fair/unfair. is Cory too high? too low?

I won't know until I see the rest of the list. But I like what I've read so far.

kitzbuel
02-17-2010, 05:58 AM
What I look forward to is finding out which of these players gets left out:

Blake Stepp
Dan Dickau
Adam Morrison
Matt Santangelo
John Stockton
Frank Burgess
Jeff Brown
Matt Bouldin
Ronny Turiaf
Richie Frahm

TM27
02-17-2010, 06:19 AM
What I look forward to is finding out which of these players gets left out:

Blake Stepp
Dan Dickau
Adam Morrison
Matt Santangelo
John Stockton
Frank Burgess
Jeff Brown
Matt Bouldin
Ronny Turiaf
Richie Frahm

Stockton, Burgess, and Brown will be left out because the criteria is 12 best from last 12 years.

kitzbuel
02-17-2010, 07:20 AM
Well, if you insist on completely reading the thread title I guess you can throw them out.

:o

zaggernaut
02-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Stockton, Burgess, and Brown will be left out because the criteria is 12 best from last 12 years.

I wonder who the 2 players are, who are not on that list, but in the top 10.

J.P. should be in top 10 at around 8 or so. I'm not sure if anyone else in the last 12 years should be higher on the list than Violette, Raivio, or Pargo at 9.

malmer7
02-17-2010, 08:45 AM
I wonder who the 2 players are, who are not on that list, but in the top 10.

J.P. should be in top 10 at around 8 or so. I'm not sure if anyone else in the last 12 years should be higher on the list than Violette, Raivio, or Pargo at 9.

maybe i'm biased because i saw violette play, but there's no way i put him behind batista, so should be interesting...

abeanzag
02-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Casey Calvary. Easily.

tightface
02-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Violette was a great team player, no doubt. But for my money I'd take JP.

JP has some pretty remarkable numbers if you break them down. While Cory's rebounding numbers over four years are staggering, JP had the single highest rebound total in a season since at least 02-03 (furthest stats I could find) with 310 during the 05-06 campaign. Cory finished with 880 in four years and JP had 490 (by my unofficial count) in two seasons. Who knows how many he could have had with a full career.

He also has more tournament points than Cory in fewer games played. It didn't hurt that JP played on the best offensive team in the country in 05-06 and the rebounding wasn't as balanced across those teams as it has been historically. But I'll also remember Beast for being an almost automatic free throw shooter (82% career) and he even shot 50% on 3p's one year. Also ranks in the Gonzaga top5 in career FG%.

Sorry if I stole some of your thunder, VanGo. Can't wait to see where Batista falls on your list.

zaggernaut
02-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Casey Calvary. Easily.

Doh - of course :)

alaskazagnut
02-17-2010, 10:52 AM
that John Rillie will be excluded too. His 3 pt shots and total leadership and fire willed us to our first NCAA tournament.

He is in my top 25 of all time favorite Zags.

Colbyspapa
02-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Matt Bouldin. He has played in the last 12 years.

Zag 77
02-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Based on what they did on-court, the intangibles they brought to the program and what they continue to do for GU basketball.

kitzbuel
02-17-2010, 01:17 PM
So, which of these players gets left out:

Adam Morrison
Blake Stepp
Casey Calvary
Dan Dickau
J.P. Batista
John Rillie
Josh Heytfelt
Matt Bouldin
Matt Santangelo
Richie Frahm
Ronny Turiaf

23dpg
02-17-2010, 01:36 PM
So, which of these players gets left out:

Adam Morrison
Blake Stepp
Casey Calvary
Dan Dickau
J.P. Batista
John Rillie
Josh Heytfelt
Matt Bouldin
Matt Santangelo
Richie Frahm
Ronny Turiaf

Easy. Heytfelt because he was already listed by the author of this thread as "also considering" when he put #12 (Pargo) and Rillie because he doesn't fall into the time period. Otherwise it's just a question as to what order the remaining are put in.

23dpg
02-17-2010, 01:41 PM
These games are fun Kitz. Which two of these get left out?

Adam Morrison
Blake Stepp
Casey Calvary
Lady Gaga
Dan Dickau
JP Bapista
Godzilla
Matt Bouldin
Matt Santangelo
Richie Frahm
Ronny Turiaf

VanillaGorilla
02-17-2010, 05:25 PM
just to clarify these are all players whose career included the 98-99 season to present day.

someone already mentioned the twelve in the pargo thread. batista, bouldin, cavalry, dickau, frahm, morrison, santangelo, stepp, turiaf (not in that order) plus the three already covered. rillie doesnt qualify.

i picked 12 years because one, it is the current tourney run, but 2 I thought it would be impossible to really compare beyond that. Obviously people like Burgess and Vermillion have monster numbers, but it really was a different game back then. how do you even try to compare burgess to stepp or frahm. And obviously Stockton's post GU career speaks for itself, but how do you compare his college numbers to bouldin when bouldin plays Duke, UNC, MSU etc on a regular basis. (not trying to dis Stockton at all here, it is just such a different era at GU that I think it is really hard to compare beyond this current run)

seasontixholder
02-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Cory was the leading scorer in a game that I consider one of the most dominating schoolings the Zags have ever given, road or home. It was a brainy, surgical dismembering that fit the stereotype which had grown since the beginning of the run. Look at the names on the team that they beat:

http://www.pac-10.org/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/120303aaf.html