• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Beggars Can't Be. . . but a #3 seed is BIG

I am thrilled at the way the team has played. They have wildly exceeded my expectations for this season. The thought of them playing at home as a protected seed would have seemed ridiculous not long ago.

But now I want a 3 seed. I know I would not be reduced to begging had Lohorn not be handed the ball for a second shot-- or if we played Defense that night.

BUT - - If they can win out, and win out very convincingly i.e. pretty much blowouts like last weekend AND some help from Illinois, Wisconsin, Memphis, Cincinatti, then it might be possible. Lunardi's brackets are generally what he believes would happen if the committee decided that day. Therefore, if people believe we deserve a four now, well maybe. A three means not facing a Kansas or Kentucky in the third round, and I think this year there is a big drop off between the one seeds and the twos/threes.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get it. And I am terrified of Moutain West teams and something tells me that our possible second rounder is a New Mexico or UNLV.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.
  • MickMick
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

I just have a feeling about this club.

They have that 1999 "feel".

Factor in that Matt has become Mr. Clutch, Harris has remained consistently solid, and every other member (from Meech to Will and all in between) has shown significant improvement in the past couple of weeks.

Further, there isn't a team out there that comes close to what UNC was last year.

Let the cards fall where they may. Except for Duke, this team has played at least to the level of all they have faced. I like this team against anybody and especially if they play in Spokane.

Edit: The draw I would like to see the most?

Well if UW can manage to win their conference tournament........
    I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• DZ
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2007

Yeah, I would love to see a Pac 10, or SEC (non-Kentucky variety) in our path.

You are right about no team being like UNC last year. There are a set at about 5, then a set at 5-15. I think right now we can play up to nearly everyone, and of course at least down to USF.

Go Wake (Welcome to top 25), Illinois, Wisconsin, Memphis and Cincinatti, oh and Go Cougs, I would love to see them win the Pac 10 tournament and I can't see a reason why that isn't possible.
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
      Mark Twain.

Comment

• Reborn
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
        The draw I would like to see the most?
        Wake Forest in Spokane in the 2nd round. They could be a good #6 seed, and us a 3. Talk about being motivated.
        Last edited by Reborn; 02-16-2010, 11:51 AM.
        Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• MDABE80
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

It would be so great if UW ended up playing the Zags in Spokane!! National TV...house is full! Dreams don't get better ...unless...well...you know

Comment

• 23dpg
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Reborn, I'm not sure if that was a typo, but I think a 2 is out of the question. Winning out would probably leave Gonzaga as a 4, with a 3 or a 5 still possibilities depending on what else happens.

First things first, win on Thursday.
            Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• Robzagnut
              Zag for Life
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
              It would be so great if UW ended up playing the Zags in Spokane!! National TV...house is full! Dreams don't get better ...unless...well...you know
              But then UW fans would insist that the game get moved to the Seattle Arena, because it would be better for GU and it would be just like a home game.

Comment

• sittingon50
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

And hey, Zags can foot the cost of moving the one game to the Key 'cause they'll be making lot's more money anyway, and that's what it's all about.
                But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Reborn
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by 23dpg View Post
                  Reborn, I'm not sure if that was a typo, but I think a 2 is out of the question. Winning out would probably leave Gonzaga as a 4, with a 3 or a 5 still possibilities depending on what else happens.
                  Thanks. I fixed it. I also agree with 1st things 1st. Right on.
                  Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• zagfan08
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I would love another shot at Wake Forest but I believe it would have to be in the sweet 16. I'm pretty sure the committee avoids rematches the first two rounds. Could be wrong though.

Comment

• Pleasant Peninsula
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Mar 2008

Wake Forest/Gonzaga in the second round is very unlikely to happen, as the committee does everything possible to avoid rematches of regular season games until at least the regional semi-finals. It isn't a rule so firm that it never happens, but unless there is no other possibility on the board, it won't happen.

Comment

• abeanzag
                        Bulldog Fan
                        • Feb 2007

Besides missing the number one seed for another round, another huge advantage of a three seed is that there is often a huge difference between a 13 and a 14 seed as a 13 often is an underachieving, but talented, school and the 14 often comes from a mid major.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

...and I'd love to see the Zags as a #3 seed play the #2 seeded Dukies in St. Louis.

What most excites me about this team's March possibilities is the number of players who have demonstrated the ability to STEP UP and make a big impact on the game. Obviously Matt, Steven and Elias....but these are the players opponents will be prepared for. I can see Big Wil; Manny; Bol; Kelly or Grant...any one of them stepping up and proving the difference in an NCAA tourney game.

Making Movies
                          Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• MickMick
                            Zag for Life
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
                            ...and I'd love to see the Zags as a #3 seed play the #2 seeded Dukies in St. Louis.

What most excites me about this team's March possibilities is the number of players who have demonstrated the ability to STEP UP and make a big impact on the game. Obviously Matt, Steven and Elias....but these are the players opponents will be prepared for. I can see Big Wil; Manny; Bol; Kelly or Grant...any one of them stepping up and proving the difference in an NCAA tourney game.

Making Movies

Similar to what Meech did last year.

I agree 100%.
                            I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• MedZag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post

Making Movies
                              Agree with your post. The kiddos have great calm and confidence late in the game this year.

That being said, I'd really like to avoid Duke at all costs in the tourney. I think the psychological effects of that one are a little too permanent this year.
                              Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
                              You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Comment

Working...
                              X