PDA

View Full Version : Sad Countdown

titopoet
02-15-2010, 07:51 AM
A few years ago I heard Coach Few talk about his young team that year. He was impressed by two players in early workouts, Kuso and this kid, Bouldin. Matt became the next shaggy haired big shot Zag. Through the next four years we saw him blossom into one of the best guards in the country. A kid who, when needed, hit the clutch shot or threw the clutch pass. His Zags teams have won an amazing 97 games and counting.

Now, only three home games remain, only three games in the place he roamed for four years, bittersweet flavor. Time to recount your favorite Matty Moments, before He fades into the sunset and goes on to help an NBA team next year.

I love his quarter court lob pass to Ira that made the number one on ESPN top ten plays.

bartruff1
02-15-2010, 08:05 AM
It has all been good...but this year, his team, it has been even better..it is scary to think that when I tune in next year, my god....he won't be there.!!

alaskazagnut
02-15-2010, 08:29 AM
He quietly yet firmly has led the team all year. He is not like Ammo; talking, opinionated and cocky. He more like Dickau; quiet, all-american looks with all around talent. He is not like Pargo, or Heytvelt or Calvary.

Yet they all are the same in many respects; Loyal, hard working, academic and athletic. They give an entire community entertainment that goes beyond a game on the court. It is a family journey and these kids represent us on a worldwide level.

Matt will be missed, yet his legacy and spirit was given to him and he passes t on. Nest year will be Gray's Goodson and Sacre's. But with the deepest bench support that Gonzaga has never had before. IMO.

Judging from interviews and the sidelines, Gibbs, Olynyk, Arop and GJ are taking everything that Matt teaches and they will be even better players because of it. Our future is bright and Matt has a lot to do with it.

gamagin
02-15-2010, 08:41 AM
It has been truly amazing to watch this young man grow and mature into perhaps one of the best Zags ever.

He certainly is the glue on this year's team and has not only risen to the challenge but in most respects, has elevated the job to another level.

He broke into new ground by continually thrusting the dagger into Memphis, a team that has been his nemisis over the years. But no more.

Same with whatever other challenges he has faced since donning the Zags uniform.

He has worked and performed his way into the annals and that is where he belongs.

Just how high will be seen over the next few weeks and hopefully, deep into March.

He could wind up an all america and the leader that has climbed the tallest of any other team. I hope so.

But either way, MB will definitely be remembered forever among an elite, yet growing, group of Zag superstars who have come to Boone Avenue over the years and lit up the world. And perhaps most important, as you point out, he will be missed when it's all over.

BlueVoodoo07
02-15-2010, 08:47 AM
As much as us the Zag nation love Matty, I have a feeling after March the nation will all know who he is. It will be fun to watch him take over a game at the tourny if he has to. My feeling is we will see the most savage play at of Matt that we have ever seen come Madness.

MickMick
02-15-2010, 08:51 AM
A great, great season for Matt has propelled him onto the short list of greatest Zags ever.

As far as the NBA goes, my favorite quote is from Bill Rafferty in Maui,

"I wouldn't bet against this kid".

The time has come to truly appreciate his last few games in a Zag uniform.

Thanks Matt!

Xin Loi 67
02-15-2010, 08:56 AM
Giving more than most and taking less. No chest pouder there, watch and learn. He was good in coming and great in leaving. Game days will be different when he goes. Best all round player we've had, IMO.

zagfaninmt
02-15-2010, 09:00 AM
MB will definitely be remembered forever among an elite, yet growing, group of Zag superstars who have come to Boone Avenue over the years and lit up the world. And perhaps most important, as you point out, he will be missed when it's all over.
I don't know if there has ever been a better match between a coach/program and a player than Matt and Mark Few/Gonzaga. I'm so impressed with how they have shaped this talented group into a team. There's great esteem and trust between them, which allows for shared leadership. It's really quite an amazing synergy they have.

FuManShoes
02-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Matt makes everything look so easy, it's really hard to pick a standout moment, but a few of mine:

-His utter calm and cool as he drained shots against UNC and Washington as a frosh

-His clutch play against Tenessee last year that sealed a hard fought win and ended the Vols' home winning streak

-This crazy beautiful half-court bounce pass he dispatched earlier this season. I'm not sure there's another guard in college, and probably only a few in the NBA, who can pull that off.

zagsmyboys
02-15-2010, 09:41 AM
I myself will Miss Matt tremendously!! He has been such a joy to watch each and every week. He seems to always have a great attitude and from what I hear it is very contagious!! He is a great leader and will forever prosper from that!! My favorite Matty moments are the "No Look" passes!! He hits them on the money every time!!

GO ZAGS!!!!!!!!!

NotoriousZ
02-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Matt is the man. There will be plenty of tears shed on Senior night. Kudos to Big Will also, he has turned himself into a real asset for this team and he'll be greatly missed next year too.

Tmac5360
02-15-2010, 11:08 AM
I may catch hell for this but that's ok. I think when you factor everything in. Shooting, passing, running the team, clutch play, attitude on and off the court. And winning. He is the best Zag EVER! Not the best at any one thing but the best all around. And if he wasn't so unselfish he may be the best scorer also. Just absolutely love to watch this kid play. Truly a treat!

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Losing Matt will be the biggest loss since Adam left.

ID ZAGFAN
02-15-2010, 11:15 AM
+1

Id Zagfan

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-15-2010, 11:30 AM
We are enjoying the culmination of what has been a great career for one of the best players to wear a Gonzaga uniform.

However, I do not view it as a sad moment. He has already instilled a lot of great leadership and winning attitude in the younger players. When he leaves, he will simply pass the torch of leadership to younger players who will build their own great legacies. His leadership will continue even after he moves on to other things in life.

JPtheBeasta
02-15-2010, 11:46 AM
It seems like not too long ago there was talk here about all the depth at the guard spot, and why Few stuck with the "slow" underclassman 'tweener Matt over a more athletic prototypical shooting guard in Gray, or a lengthy NBA level talent in Micah, and others. It's really silly now, in retrospect, when you see how good of a player he has matured into.

What a good kid. It's been a pleasure to see him turn into the person he is. Obviously, he's a great player. But to see him do things like talking to Wil and getting a rare smile out if him after the big SMC game here (I have to think it was about the block:) ), patting people on the backside with words of encouragement, and getting other guys involved in locker room interviews after the game has me thinking that he has to be a great team mate.

He has left his mark, for sure. This is definitely his team this year, and I think in some ways next year will be as well. Go Zags!

LynetteG
02-15-2010, 12:13 PM
My first memory of Matt was when he was on campus during the summer after he graduated from HS. The incoming new sports freshmen start classes right after HS and there he was. Jordan was here for elite camp, and in the evenings the team scrimmaged for the campers. Jordan was asked to scrimmage with the team, the only camper to do so...although I didn't know that at the time. I saw Matty and asked Jordan "is that another camper?". I got this look, a roll of the eyes, and a very patronizing, "Aunt Lynette, that's Matt Bouldin"....heheh.

To see Matty where he is now, and the person he has become, I just get all misty-eyed. He will totally be missed!

bballguy
02-15-2010, 12:38 PM
He's not leaving. I am in full denial! The NCAA knows they will have to vacate Kentucky's final four appearance this year eventually so preemptively remove Kentucky from the record books causing a huge fire storm among the Kentucky fans and rejoicing at Memphis. UCONN is still being investigated by the NCAA, more fights erupt on campus at Kansas between the mens basketball team and the ladies field hockey team. And so on...that in order to have some positive PR the NCAA grants a special exemption of the 4 in 5 rule giving a 5th year to Matt. So calm down everyone and enjoy Matt's final year next year.

sullyzag66
02-15-2010, 12:45 PM
In this sequence from the Memphis game, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4FBHFaceC0) there is a great description of Matty's game. My favorite, from Bardo: "he's not jumpin' up, dunkin' on people; he's not beatin' his chest; he's just killin' you with precision."

MedZag
02-15-2010, 01:34 PM
We are enjoying the culmination of what has been a great career for one of the best players to wear a Gonzaga uniform.

However, I do not view it as a sad moment. He has already instilled a lot of great leadership and winning attitude in the younger players. When he leaves, he will simply pass the torch of leadership to younger players who will build their own great legacies. His leadership will continue even after he moves on to other things in life.

Agreed. In particular, it's obvious Matt has taken GG under his wing this year, which is great to see.

bballbeachbum
02-15-2010, 02:58 PM

agreed, too. turns out a young and talented group was the perfect mix for Matt the senior, and he's been laying it down. He's as good a Zag as I've seen, and he's a favorite for many reasons, but none more than how he has kept improving his game every year, adding dimension: the finger roll, left-handed takes to the hole, the hesitation dribble (basically, how he's perfecting it), the defensive intensity and understanding, getting it done @ Memphis, taking on greater responsibility for the team's successes and failures (leadership)...there's more of course, but those exemplify it. even within this team, it's growth, how he has been saying lately "we get it now"; super cool stuff, you can't get it now unless you face and man up that you didn't get it before! when the leaders do this, the team does it, too, and growth happens.

I will miss Matt. I am not sad, but I will miss Matt.......but not until after March!!! Yeehhhoooowwwww!!!!!!!

GO MATT!!!

MickMick
02-15-2010, 03:10 PM
What is remarkable is how he grabbed this young team by the collar and told them how it was going to be.

Under his pre season leadership, he publicly expressed his desire for no "primma donnas". Instead, he called for "gritty" and tough instead.

And his team delivered...........

To top it all off, he demanded even more from himself and then he delivered.

Sheesh I'm gonna miss watching him.

LynetteG
02-15-2010, 03:11 PM
What is remarkable is how he grabbed this young team by the collar and told them how it was going to be.

Under his pre season leadership, he publicly expressed his desire for no "primma donnas". Instead, he called for "gritty" and tough instead.

+10000

bigblahla
02-15-2010, 03:27 PM
First, no offense meant, I don't like the title to this thread. Any discussion of Matt's career at GU should have a celebratory title not one of sadness.

Second, I'm just not ready for this yet.

Everybody vote for Matt in the Lowe's and Cousy competition.

Go!! Zags!!!

Rangerzag
02-15-2010, 03:32 PM

It cannot be just coincidence that this team which was written off by so many before the season has turned out to be such scrappers. Before this season started anyone who suggested it would have the record it has today would have, or was, considered to be purely dreaming and totally under the influence of 120 octane Zag KoolAid. This team is Matty B's signature and it is a dandy. It is his legacy. It is how he will be remembered. It is a excellent way to be able to remember him. It is no coincidence!

Savor while he is still available. We will be proud of him in the future, to boot.

Zagalicious
02-16-2010, 09:17 AM
We'll miss Matt and Big W. Hope to see Matt in a shiny new NBA uni next year....REPRESENT!!

U Zig, I Zag
02-16-2010, 10:54 AM
I have been avoiding this topic. I don't even want to think about Matt leaving.... :(

LongIslandZagFan
02-16-2010, 11:00 AM
When Matt leaves... the Zags will be fine. Manny is coming on strong, we have Bol and Steven takes the reins next year as the team leader... and if we are lucky... we still have Harris next year as well.

That being said, When I think about Matt being gone, I think back to the Wizard of Oz, when Dorthy is talking to the Scarecrow before she leaves... "I think I'm going to miss you most of all"

GrizZAG
02-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Matt, hope you are reading this thread. I also hope you pass your MOJO on to this young team. The confidence and business like demeanor in the course of games is reflective of the driven winner that you are. Peddle to the metal is what every member of your team needs because when they do that...you win!

pfallsbeav
02-16-2010, 12:55 PM
The prettiest play in basketball is the great pass. Matt has left us with a whole reel of no look, full court, lob, backdoor, give & go, kick out, inbound,........
Lets go deep this year and show the whole country what he can do.

Thomas_Sutpen
02-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Mods,

Is there any way someone could retitle this thread (e.g., "Matt Bouldin Appreciation Thread") and pin it to the top of the board? It would be nice to keep this going for a while.

My thoughts:

I like how MB has always been team first. I loved his response after the UNC loss last year when someone asked him about going pro--something about "I'm just trying to get better." Few has mentioned that last year MB often deferred to guys like Pargo and Heytvelt, because it was the best for the team.

I was struck by how much directing and talking he was doing on the court against USD (not sure if it came across on TV, but it was obvious in person)--probably because he was playing with some guys (like GJ) who haven't got much action.

We'll go as far as he takes us this year.

MickMick
02-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Consider the two best players for SMC in the Kennel.

Omar had a nice game against Rob, but Sacre played a fine game as well. Rob wasn't dominated by any stretch of the imagination.

But Delladova was completely out muscled by Matt on both ends. Perhaps when Delladova is a senior with four years of conditioning behind him, things will be different.

Matt has put in comparable minutes (if not more) against tougher competition, and he is still going strong. In fact, Matt has really elevated his game in the late season.