PDA

View Full Version : Time for Wilner to Man Up

Angelo Roncalli
02-15-2010, 08:25 AM
It's been almost three weeks since Bay Area sports hack Jon Wilner left us on the edge of our seats as he was about to embark on a major endeavor of journalistic investigation about Elias Harris and his teammates at BIS Speyer. Jon was going to contact European agents to get to the bottom of contract terms, etc. The breathless tone of Wilner's "blog" (I won't use the the term article, that has implications of journalism, and whatever Wilner's been doing, it ain't journalism) led the readers to believe that a major scandal was going to come to the light of day as result of Wilner's intrepid efforts. Since then? Inexplicable silence. Come on Wilner, time to acknowledge that you got skunked on your fishing trip... Also time to fess up and state on the record who wired you up with bad information and got you started on your fruitless adventure.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2010/01/26/wcc-ratings-more-on-the-curious-case-of-elias-harris/

westside-zagfan
02-15-2010, 12:44 PM
That guy is just some local writer who will never go any further. Keep working 20 hours a day on stories that lead to nothing. I wonder if that 20,000 a year salary is worth the 20 hour days...

Los Gatos Zag
02-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Wilner is like his paper.....bad.

Zagnailler
02-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Trying to gin up some controversy seems to be equated with ambition in some circles. I think this dog is sniffing up the wrong tree. Has there been an exhaustive review of the relationship between the Aussie institute of sport and their recruits in US programs. Just a thought for the ambitious.

ZagNative
02-15-2010, 06:51 PM
So kind of Angelo to steer some more web hits on Mr. Wilner's blog, just when the issue was obviously dead as a doornail. :(

MickMick
02-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Wilner Schmilner.

He will get a few eccentric WCC fans in a tizzy and that is about it.

The only drama around here is how the voting for WCC player of the week is conducted. If it is a foreshadow of how the All Conference balloting will go, then that is where the real controversy is.

And people wonder why there are discussions of why the Zags should seek another conference to play in.

bettingman
02-15-2010, 07:44 PM
"The only drama around here is how the voting for WCC player of the week is conducted."

I remain unconvinced there is much drama. Even with the loss to the Pilots on Saturday, Omar Samhan has an impeccable resume: He leads the league in both scoring and rebounding (averaging a double-double) and has done a remarkable job after the departure of Simpson and Mills. Are you suggesting that Harris is the other player in contention? He has very nice numbers, but Samhan has the (large) advantage of being a senior, while Harris also has to contend with having a teammate (Bouldin) that is even more important to the Zags (love his game, btw). The Gaels will finish 2nd and have the conference PoY, while you lucky #######s (I mean that in a nice way) can enjoy your 10th straight league title.

Anyone wanna bet on it? I will give you Bouldin/Harris, and I get Samhan. Loser has to contribute to the charity of the winner's choice (and yes, I consider the USF Sixth Man Club a charity).

[An aside: I wouldn't get too excited about the silence from Wilner just yet. Not that I think he has anything, but the guy *is* an experienced journalist. If there's smoke, he'll find the fire. Personally I think the b.s. treatment of our Euro players over the years by the NCAA is just that: b.s.]

pbriz
02-15-2010, 07:48 PM
"The only drama around here is how the voting for WCC player of the week is conducted."

I remain unconvinced there is much drama. Even with the loss to the Pilots on Saturday, Omar Samhan has an impeccable resume: He leads the league in both scoring and rebounding (averaging a double-double) and has done a remarkable job after the departure of Simpson and Mills. Are you suggesting that Harris is the other player in contention? He has very nice numbers, but Samhan has the (large) advantage of being a senior, while Harris also has to contend with having a teammate (Bouldin) that is even more important to the Zags (love his game, btw). The Gaels will finish 2nd and have the conference PoY, while you lucky #######s (I mean that in a nice way) can enjoy your 10th straight league title.

Anyone wanna bet on it? I will give you Bouldin/Harris, and I get Samhan. Loser has to contribute to the charity of the winner's choice (and yes, I consider the USF Sixth Man Club a charity).

[An aside: I wouldn't get too excited about the silence from Wilner just yet. Not that I think he has anything, but the guy *is* an experienced journalist. If there's smoke, he'll find the fire. Personally I think the b.s. treatment of our Euro players over the years by the NCAA is just that: b.s.]

I would bet a lot of money that it is shared between Bouldin and Samhan. Both seniors, Samhan has better all around numbers but Bouldin led his team to 1st place in the conference. Book it.

MickMick
02-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Samhan got beat twice this week.

TJ Campbell was the player of the week, not Samhan.

Why would I bet on a rigged election? That was the original point of my post anyway.

WCC fans can't have it both ways.

either:

1) The Zags fall apart next year with the departure of Bouldin (as some will claim).....meaning Matt was huge for the Zags and deserving of many accolades (including player of the year).

or:

2) The Zags won't skip a beat next season and the rest of the WCC can expect more of the same with Matt out of the lineup.

Both cannot be true at the same time.

In other words, if Bouldin is not that important to the team, then the Zags should pick right up where they left off next year. Expect another conference championship.

GU32
02-15-2010, 07:54 PM
I would bet a lot of money that it is shared between Bouldin and Samhan. Both seniors, Samhan has better all around numbers but Bouldin led his team to 1st place in the conference. Book it.

pbriz you forgot to factor in the insane jealousy the rest of the WCC fans/coaches/players have against GU... I would save your money and not bet.:)

GrizZAG
02-16-2010, 01:09 AM
This guy is why journalism has lost its credibility. He should be writing for a rag somewhere.
I am sure the WCC opponents are frustrated and we can offer sincere sympathy with that. I mean look, Gonzaga has acclaimed a level of Star Power nationally and has completely dominated the WCC for a long time now. This guy only comes off as a jealous and envious poor schmuk.

Motive? To gain a following of the other frustrated and immature wonks down there. For that...it is working apparently.

bigblahla
02-16-2010, 07:05 AM
So kind of Angelo to steer some more web hits on Mr. Wilner's blog, just when the issue was obviously dead as a doornail. :(

Agree, you don't poke a bear with a poison pen.

Go!! Zags!!!

BilboZaggins
02-16-2010, 07:34 AM
You have awoken a sleeping A Hole and filled him with a terrrible resolve.

Bowser
02-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Hey, I enjoy Wilner's Pac10 football writing. And, as you know, I've always been fond of gratutious slander, hoping to make a career of it myself.

Your Pal,
Bowser

PS: Bilbo, I was already awake.