PDA

View Full Version : RPI stuff

23dpg
02-14-2010, 09:35 AM
It looks like Gonzaga fell to #22 with the win last night. They really punish you for beating bad teams.

St. Mary's fell to #48.....they will be out of the top 50 after next weekend....terrible loss for Gonzaga.

On the plus side, Cincinnati is up to #45 with their win last night. I'm not sure if they will be able to hold their spot though.

Illinois is up to #59......maybe if they can keep on winning.

GoZags
02-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Zags 19 with a "Projected" RPI -- going into the WCC tourney of 27 per Jerry Palm's premium www.collegerpi.com site this morning.

The good news in Cincy climbed to 46 after their win over UConn.

23dpg
02-14-2010, 10:34 AM
The unofficial site I was looking at appears to be wrong. Your numbers are correct plus St. Mary's is still at 43 (fingers crossed).

Pleasant Peninsula
02-14-2010, 10:41 AM
The Zags dropping a few spots is immaterial; the committee uses RPI primarily as a tool to group teams. Record versus top 50, top 100 teams, etc.. The Zags won't be punished for playing teams like San Diego, Loyola Marymount. They may be rewarded, however, if teams like Cincinnati, Illinois*, Oklahoma finish strong.

*Illinois getting drilled by Ohio State as I type...they are really a Jekyll/Hyde type team, aren't they?

GoZags
02-14-2010, 10:42 AM
And the Dons have moved up to 204. There's a chance they'll get below 200, which would remove one of ?? signifying a very bad loss. One ? (a loss to a school 101-200) isn't as bad as ?? (a loss to a school 200+).

But the bottom line -- Zags need to continue to take care of business. It wasn't too many years ago I was in Gertsen when the Lions spanked Gonzaga. Zags need to continue to improve and finish strong.

bballbeachbum
02-14-2010, 11:04 AM
*Illinois getting drilled by Ohio State as I type...they are really a Jekyll/Hyde type team, aren't they?

yes, and even within games, playing one half down and the other unbelievably well. maybe they'll Dr. Jeckyll it in the second half and help us out a little

and on GU, Seth Davis on the halftime show focused on the Spokane option; sounded like he thought it was plenty real. then he said GU has it on cruise control in the WCC. Disagree...we HAD it on cruise control, then USF, then now.

EDIT: the Illini spanked by 19 at home, Turner 2 assists shy of double double... :(

ZagNative
02-15-2010, 11:36 AM
RPI Update to Monday, February 15: The NCAA has released its official weekly RPI report, for games through Sunday, 2/14/10 (http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi/2010MBBrpi1.html), with the Zags coming in at #19, up five spots from last Monday's #24.

Interestingly, statsheet (http://statsheet.com/mcb/rankings/RPI), my favorite stats site, still has the Zags at #22.

alaskazagnut
02-15-2010, 03:58 PM
[QUOTE=23dpg;537375]It looks like Gonzaga fell to #22 with the win last night. They really punish you for beating bad teams./QUOTE]

It's not that they really punish you for beating bad teams,its that they really punish you for playing bad teams. They punish you far less for beating bad teams than losing to them. When we lost to USF our RPI went from about 15 to 35. We have slowly built it back up by beating Portland and St Marys.

Shanachie
02-15-2010, 05:14 PM
It's not that they really punish you for beating bad teams,its that they really punish you for playing bad teams. They punish you far less for beating bad teams than losing to them. When we lost to USF our RPI went from about 15 to 35. We have slowly built it back up by beating Portland and St Marys.

RPI punishes you for 1) playing bad teams; and 2) losing. Part of the hit after the USF game was just playing USF, and part of it was losing the game (since that made GU's winning percentage lower).

RPI is blind to which teams you beat and which teams you lose to; all it looks at is winning percentages. Ignoring the adjustment for home/away/neutral court, beating Wisconsin and losing to USF, for example, had the same effect on RPI as losing to Wisconsin and beating USF would have had. (Of course, the effect on "good wins" and "bad losses" would be different.)