PDA

View Full Version : OT: Next Gonzaga?

Baldwinzag
02-14-2010, 07:03 AM
An interesting thread was recently created on the Butler Bulldog message board discussing how they can become the 'Next Gonzaga'. Good responses. Click HERE (http://buhoops.yuku.com/topic/4991/t/Next-Gonzaga.html) to read more, worth a look.

--The more I watch Gonzaga, the more I question whether Butler will ever get to their level. While we have enjoyed great success over the last 10 years, it doesn't really compare to what the other small, private school from the NW has accomplished.

--They win big OOC games like no other mid-major program and amass great talent every single year. They recruit very talented bigs and get players from all over the world, let alone the U.S. Their tourney success is documented and they put a player into the NBA every other year.

--I look to their example as to where BU needs to be. We are about as close as any mid program for sure.

bartruff1
02-14-2010, 07:28 AM
The obvious answer is to get a hall of fame coach and keep him...:)

ZagNative
02-14-2010, 09:30 AM
--I look to their example as to where BU needs to be. We are about as close as any mid program for sure. I agree with this. I keep expecting them to drop off, but they're continuing to be in the fight every year.

bballbeachbum
02-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Need to upgrade facilities to match the Zags.

same could be said for other WCC programs as well...nice advantage to enjoy

Nevtelen
02-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Butler has a different approach than GU, but is pretty close. The other mid-major who's at our level (with no qualification IMO) is Xavier. They always have talent, win big games, and do well in the tourney. Should be a good series coming up next season and in the future.

seasontixholder
02-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Trying to emulate Gonzaga is futile, even for a future Gonzaga that might find itself fallen from present grace. It makes as much sense as attempting to methodically win the lottery three times. But just in case they still want to dream ...

Step 1: relocate the campus to the Pacific Time Zone. Right now, Butler is a secondary player in a region of biggies. And always will be. OTOH, Gonzaga fulfills a requirement of (cable, mostly) TV to have a "position" for later evening viewing, and to provide a viable candidate for CBS/ESPN cross-regional matchups. Out west, the pickings are slim, while back east there is a plethora of riches. To the TV guys, who needs a Butler for anything?

Step 2: get something chartered besides a bus.

Step 3: About every two decades, get a lightly recruited homegrown boy to become a Dream Team member or a national player of the year.

Step 4: Just get lucky on a regular basis. Not a problem. About every 4 years, just when the need arises most critically, have a Morrison or Elias Harris step on campus. They're all over the place just waiting to be plucked.

Step 5: Become a Nike darling, with all the support and attention it engenders. 5 minutes or so of schmoozing Uncle Phil will probably work.

There's a dozen or so other vital ingredients that went into the process, but I thought that I'd list the easier ones first.

JPtheBeasta
02-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Butler has a different approach than GU, but is pretty close. The other mid-major who's at our level (with no qualification IMO) is Xavier. They always have talent, win big games, and do well in the tourney. Should be a good series coming up next season and in the future.

+1

seasontixholder
02-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Oh, I forgot: get a SportsCenter anchor to call you "America's Team" on a regular basis. It helps.

thespywhozaggedme
02-14-2010, 11:58 AM

Memphis?

Nevtelen
02-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Memphis?

True. I sometimes forget they're not in a 'power conference.'

bartruff1
02-14-2010, 12:34 PM
If you build it they will come....all other problems will be solved ...

webspinnre
02-14-2010, 03:07 PM
The obvious answer is to get a hall of fame coach and keep him...:)

This, in addition to some of the other factors mentioned. One of the hardest things in a mid-major conference is coaches getting snatched up. We're so blessed that Few has stayed.

MEZAG
02-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Move to a town with few or no professional or BCS sports teams within 300 miles.

MickMick
02-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Thier "learning experience" in Anaheim didn't even give them the chance to play Portland.

Meanwhile, the Zags cruise into Maui with 10 players that had not played in a D1 game. That "learning experience" resulted in taking home the 1st place trophy.

We shall see how consistently they can reload instead of rebuild.

seasontixholder
02-14-2010, 04:44 PM
BTW, my tongue/cheek remarks above did not mean any disrespect for Butler. Most of their posters had shown reason and good perspective. Their team is doing great, and has the last victory between us.

They were aimed more at the Seattle Us (or 250 RPI bottom feeders, or newly minted programs) of this world who might think that there is a formula for duplication. Or for some of the newbie Zag fans that think that this is the natural order of things.

GU caught lightning in a bottle. There was a lot of hard work and skill involved, but the luck factor is probably impossible to reproduce. I'm still amazed.

MJ777
02-15-2010, 01:56 AM
BTW, my tongue/cheek remarks above did not mean any disrespect for Butler. Most of their posters had shown reason and good perspective. Their team is doing great, and has the last victory between us.

They were aimed more at the Seattle Us (or 250 RPI bottom feeders, or newly minted programs) of this world who might think that there is a formula for duplication. Or for some of the newbie Zag fans that think that this is the natural order of things.

GU caught lightning in a bottle. There was a lot of hard work and skill involved, but the luck factor is probably impossible to reproduce. I'm still amazed.

The GU story over the past 12 years really is amazing. The first 3 runs to the Sweet 16 and EE were the catalyst to catching the lightning. It sure doesn't hurt to have a network that televises half of the games to a national audience, and have a guy that refers to the team as "America's Team". Thanks Neil Everett. And thanks to coach Few for staying in Spokane. I think the name Gonzaga itself helps in recruiting. It is a much tougher looking name than say a name like Saint Maries College Gaels.

I still hope SMC can somehow make the tourney after one more loss to the Zags. That's doubtful though.

TexasZagFan
02-15-2010, 07:39 AM
The GU story over the past 12 years really is amazing. The first 3 runs to the Sweet 16 and EE were the catalyst to catching the lightning. It sure doesn't hurt to have a network that televises half of the games to a national audience, and have a guy that refers to the team as "America's Team". Thanks Neil Everett. And thanks to coach Few for staying in Spokane. I think the name Gonzaga itself helps in recruiting. It is a much tougher looking name than say a name like Saint Maries College Gaels.

I still hope SMC can somehow make the tourney after one more loss to the Zags. That's doubtful though.

Sorry for the pun, but the Zags took the wind out of the Gaels on Thursday night. I just took a quick look at the major newspapers in the Bay Area, and it seems as if their pool reporter flew home on Friday morning. There was no reporting of SMC's loss in Portland.

The re-emergence of Rob, and the emergence of Will, raises more questions for the Zags opponents as the season progresses. It's now a case of "pick your poison." Meech is playing with more control, the bench is providing solid minutes...looks like the plan is coming together.

What cheers me the most is the conscious effort of all of our bigs to take it to the hoop, and that includes Kelly. It wore down Samhan, as he couldn't rest on defense.

It may not be in the same category as Arkansas' "40 minutes of hell", but it's pretty darn good.

Once and Future Zag
02-15-2010, 07:43 AM
It's the 'Z'.

There's only one D1 program with a Z in it's name not from Arizona.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

TexasZagFan
02-15-2010, 08:08 AM

If it could be replicated, it would have happened already. But there was only one Fitz, one Few, and a host of others that made this thing happen. By and large, it's the special kind of student-athlete that made the commitment to GU.

It's also the community at GU that makes it special. I've been asked many times what my experience was like at Gonzaga. After a story (or two), it wouldn't be unusual to hear "damn, my college experience was nothing like that." Of course, the vast majority of these folks went to huge schools like UT, or A&M, where the student body is 10 times that of Gonzaga.

Having an unusual name like Gonzaga really helps, too. Even after a decade, a ton of people still say "Gone-zawga". :lmao: