PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting outside the US

BoZarth
02-12-2010, 10:42 PM
For the basketball junkies here this article is an interesting read. Reference to Gonzaga included.

Who knew fewer than 5 percent of American males grow to be taller than 6-2?

Thankfully we have Tommy Lloyd on our side.

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2010-02-13/struggling-teams-look-overseas-fill-tall-order

Go Zags!!!!

kitzbuel
02-13-2010, 08:45 AM
The interesting part is that not only are schools going after these foreign players increasing the size of the pie, so to speak, but as a side benefit, they are getting players who are trained and skilled in playing their natural positions.

Obviously, and much to our delight, that circumstance can change the dynamic of college hoops competitiveness with schools less able to recruit nationally getting players potentially more skilled in their positions.

thespywhozaggedme
02-13-2010, 10:57 AM
"In America, they've been taught it's cool to be 6-10 and shoot 3s," Sadler said. "Last time I checked, the most important position on the floor, if not the point guard, is the guy who's going to play close to the basket. A good inside player is worth every penny that the NBA pays.

"Overseas guys are more traditional. If you're a low-post player, you're a low-post player. You don't try to be a wing."

The Nebraska coach is 100% wrong, in fact the exact opposite of what he said is the case; see Nowitzki, Bargnani, Okur, Ilgauskas, etc.

thespywhozaggedme
02-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Do these authors even do any research any more?

Five of the bottom six teams in the Big 12 - Oklahoma is the exception - have at least one foreign-born big man.

I guess someone forgot to tell Ryan Wright that he's Canadian. :rolleyes:

nonzagzag
02-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Who knew fewer than 5 percent of American males grow to be taller than 6-2?

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2010-02-13/struggling-teams-look-overseas-fill-tall-order

Go Zags!!!!

I guess that's why I have 19 short friends....

MDABE80
02-13-2010, 12:52 PM
I wish we could find some local kids in the State like we used to. The large schools seemed to have found a way to turn heads and sing them too. We are still a growing program....far from finished. If we are to grow further, we will need players that keep pushing to the next upper level. I'm grateful Tommy and the staff have found a way to do just that.

When we move ahead, I think we'll get the pick of the litter....and it'll be more local. On the other hand, I love the kids...foreign or not. Nothing speaks against it. This is Gonzaga and we welcome everyone. Not sure if we could get better talent than we have now. 4 losses in a hard schedule appeal to me. Kids have done very well. I'm pretty happy with this team. The scare my shorts off some nights. But they win..ugly or not. I've gone a bit away from Bo's topic. Just some thoughts...

CB4
02-13-2010, 01:01 PM
It seems like the Canadian players are a natural fit for Gonzaga's program: tough, scrappy, hard working. Canada's hockey mentality shapes all sports here in Canada, whether it's for the better or worse.

I'd still like to see Gonzaga recruit the one-and-done Californian or Texan whenever we have the chance, though.

CDC84
02-13-2010, 01:33 PM
I realize that Gonzaga has several foreign players, and therefore, it makes sense to mention them in this article, but their overall recruiting prowess in the U.S. is much greater than almost any other school that is mentioned. Many of the programs that are mentioned have very little chance of landing top 100 players from the U.S. The reason why Gonzaga has the foreign players that they do has to do - with the exception of Harris - geography. GU is quite close to where Kelly, Manny, Rob and Bol played. The staff had to travel further in order to be able to recruit guys like Bouldin or Goodson. The Canadians were in GU's backyard. The reason why Gonzaga brought these guys in is very different from someone like Nebraska who can't even keep a fringe top 100 local player like Matt Hill from going to Texas.