PDA

View Full Version : Props to Steven!

Jedster
02-12-2010, 08:21 AM
I know this has been discussed a bit in some of the threads, but thought it needed it's own thread. Steven played terrific defense on Dellavedova all night and schooled him! Dellavedova had 9 quick pts to start the game, but then Steven played him tough the rest of the way. I loved how he put his body on him and just played him physical all night. It really threw his game off and he was out of control most of the game. You could see his frustration with some of his shot attempts in the 2nd half. He was really trying to force things and kept making mistakes. Dellavedova ended up with only 2 pts after he started so hot with nine and had 5 turnovers! This was definitely a lesson for the freshman. He is a very good player, and Steven completely took him out of his game.

Granted, Steven didn't have a stellar offensive game, but I think his contributions on the defensive end were critical for our victory. I don't want to diminish contributions the other Zags played because they all did a heck of a job (especially Meech and Rob), but with SMC where they will kill you is with ball movement and the 3. Steven was critical in stopping that. Great job Steven!

U Zig, I Zag
02-12-2010, 08:35 AM
+1

TimboZag
02-12-2010, 08:42 AM
+1

Ezag
02-12-2010, 08:43 AM
+1

gamagin
02-12-2010, 08:49 AM
I know this has been discussed a bit in some of the threads, but thought it needed it's own thread. Steven played terrific defense on Dellavedova all night and schooled him!

good post

VaBeachZAG
02-12-2010, 09:05 AM
On several occasions Bardo expressed amazement at how Gray was all over Dellavedova and no foul was called. I think other refs in another arena might have called Gray on some of his pretty extreme physical play. But as the old saying goes, you take what the refs give you. When it was apparent the refs were not going to call Gray's aggressive defense on Dellavedova, he really went to work on him. If the whole team can disply this defensive attack mode into the tournament, the sky is the limit. In fact, another Bardo comment was something to the effect that the Zags are a final four threat. As an aside, I can't remember a single instance last season when a Zag put on the one-on-one defensive display we saw from Gray last night.

Knotsolucky
02-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Gray and Meech as well, played excellent D last night......

sonuvazag
02-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Gray has a competitive fire. He seemed to take some pleasure in his accomplishments re: Della.

bballbeachbum
02-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Gray has a competitive fire. He seemed to take some pleasure in his accomplishments re: Della.

Oh yes baby!

and from zag944 in another thread:

Gray has been decent on offense, but hasnt really blossomed the way many expected....instead he has reinvented himself into an all around guy that plays flat out smothering perimeter defense.

and the stroke is still in there for him; dial that in a little bit more every day, every game, and add it to this reinvented game.......and how about the rebounding!

BJZags
02-12-2010, 11:42 AM
I also appreciate how Gray appears to be loving to play basketball and compete, even when his shot isn't falling. He continues to play tough defense, is always encouraging his teammates for positive plays, and finds other ways to make an impact besides scoring. Watching him get slammed to the floor after a lay-up attempt in the second half and getting-up with a quirky grin, as if he knew something the rest of the us didn't was classic. (Can't remember if he made both FT's.)

americasteam
02-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Ya that was great. I thought he was smiling cuz Kelly tried to pull him up and he started to fall. Anyway, the guys have a great chemistry together and it really shows in these kind of games. Steven had a great defensive night, and thankfully the refs "let 'em play" a little bit!

john montana
02-12-2010, 12:25 PM
SMC fans are pretty upset about Steven's aggressive defense. I can see that. But, if you want to complain about Steven bumping Delladova, you have to acknwoledge the constant illegal screens 30 ft from the basket from Samhan/Allen. I've never seen so many moving screens ignored 30 ft from the basket with all eyes on them. wow. Last night, the refs let all of that go...they let the SMC bigs whack our guards with moving picks, and they let our guards bump the SMC guards off the hedge. I'm fine with that. Had they called one of those but not the others one team or the other would have a real gripe.

lothar98zag
02-12-2010, 12:29 PM
SMC fans are pretty upset about Steven's aggressive defense...
A sign that SG was doing his job correctly. :)

JohnOGU
02-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Steven was just plain in Delly's head last night. Love the aggressiveness.

VinnyZag
02-12-2010, 01:35 PM
SMC fans are pretty upset about Steven's aggressive defense.

The same sort of aggressive defense that Memphis, Tennessee, etc., have employed to knock GU off its game over the years.

Jedster
02-12-2010, 02:33 PM
The same sort of aggressive defense that Memphis, Tennessee, etc., have employed to knock GU off its game over the years.

Exactly! Facing the tough teams early like Cincinnati has really helped this team. Loved watching Steven not giving Dellavedova an inch of breathing room and on his hip the entire time!

Didn't realize that Dellavedova's only 2 pts in the 2nd half were from the foul line. Wow!