PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of the Game - St. Mary's - 2.11.10

RenoZag
02-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Omar goes O-4 in his four trips to Spokane. . .no wonder he hates visiting.

Zags are in sole possession of first place, GoZagsWooHoo made his first trip to the MAC, Matt Bouldin solidified his status as an All-America candidate, big Rob stayed thirsty ( in the paint), and Elias made his Poppa proud.

Who's your GUnit tonight, Zag Nation ?

zagitup
02-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Bouldin... wow. This may be one of the smartest college players to ever put on a jersey. Basketball I.Q. is off the charts.:clap:

Once and Future Zag
02-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Matt had a great game - Rob was the key to the win.

Pounding the Ham Sandwich into Panini.

jazzdelmar
02-11-2010, 09:07 PM
team D

former1dog
02-11-2010, 09:08 PM
HONORABLE MENTION: MR. WOO HOO!!

After all, shouldn't the inventor of the GUnit get some props after his first visit to the Kennel?

As for the players, I voted for Matty.

That said, Will Foster, Robert Sacre, Elias Harris, Kelly Olynik, Steven Gray and Meech all deserve recognition for outstanding contributions.

Great, great game by our team.

Props also to Samhan for a great effort and a great career. He couldn't beat us by himself though and he didn't get a helluva lot of help out there.

abeanzag
02-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Great to see Sacre get his mojo back.

Rbo
02-11-2010, 09:11 PM
It's always hard to vote against Bouldin, especially when he's bringing his A game as usual. But Sacre was the difference maker! WooHoo gets 3rd place.

Birddog
02-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Tough choice but I vote BOULDIN, again!
Lotsa players stepped up tonight, props to Meech, Sacre, Gray, Olynyk, Foster, Arop, Gibbs, and Kong. Did I forget anybody? Oh yeah, Harris had a helluva game too.

Hoopaholic
02-11-2010, 09:14 PM
meech for shuttingout SMC second leading scorer, and one of the best 3 point shooters in ncaa.....shut him DOWN...that is 14 points right there and if he goes off different potential outcome.......

rawkmandale
02-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Sacre was the man!

fedwayzag
02-11-2010, 09:22 PM
went with Matt. Those dribble drives in the paint and bodying Delladova in the paint and just overpowering him. Great.

MedZag
02-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Stay thirsty, Rob.

But Matt was MVP.

Zag365
02-11-2010, 09:24 PM
As for the players, I voted for Matty.

That said, Will Foster, Robert Sacre, Elias Harris, Kelly Olynik, Steven Gray and Meech all deserve recognition for outstanding contributions.

Great, great game by our team.

Props also to Samhan for a great effort and a great career. He couldn't beat us by himself though and he didn't get a helluva lot of help out there.

+1

gamagin
02-11-2010, 09:25 PM
He had the best defensive game of his (young)career. and the timing could not have been better.

dim4sum
02-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Matt gets it for his clever shooting and overall calming effect on tonight's efficient offense. Steven gets it for d, for his constant pressure on Delladedracula.

MattiesFan
02-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Of course, it's MATTIE!!!!! MVP all the way!!! Great Game tonite!!
Go ZAGS!!! See everyone in Vegas!!!!!

NovaZag
02-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Bouldin, esp in the 2nd half. Rob, E, Will getting it done inside, though. Great team win.

surfmonkey89
02-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Fans deserve a shout out. They really brought it tonight.

GU69
02-11-2010, 09:37 PM
I have voted for Matt so much it's getting a little like AMMO.

But tonight I'm going with Steven.
This game was won by defense, and Steven led the charge.
Dellevawhatshisname didn't know what to do. He had 33% of his turnovers for the season in one night.

gamagin
02-11-2010, 09:51 PM
just gave Sacre the high efficiency player of the game.

Fox: "He dominated Samhan. he was all over the place. shot 6-11, only two to's. Had 2 steals. He was very active against Samhan & was really physical, especially the second half."

Crazy
02-11-2010, 09:52 PM
i am undecided betwen gray and bouldin, i just watch second half but in this 20 minutes Bouldin nearly hits everything and make even hard contested layups in the Paint looks easy while Gray was the Key in a pretty awake defensiv(we germans say it like that, don't know if i xould use it in english too but i don#t find a better word)

Reborn
02-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Matt Bouldin...Easily. He controlled that game as usual. He seems to score whenever he wants, and he hits big shot after big shot...He is just incredible really.

NotoriousZ
02-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Matt is a stud. But I gotta go with the Woohoo Mojo--taking the shot at halftime really turned things around for the Zags!

:000tens:

TerpZag
02-11-2010, 10:24 PM
I went with Matt Bouldin because of his overall game but it was close.

Elias Harris had an impressive 19 points in only 23 minutes on the court.

Tale of the Tape:

Points in the paint - Gonzaga 48 vs. St. Mary's 20

Points off of turnovers - Gonzaga 22 vs. St. Mary's 5

The Zags just have too many weapons for the Gaels

2wiceright
02-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Rob had the all impressive offensive and defensive presence inside - playing extremely tough D on Samhan esp. in 2nd half. Hope this is the re-emergence of the Sacre from the Mich.State game and who was a lock to be "going Into the league" next year (I kid).

Must add-another MVP game for Matt and strong bench play - really everyone played great!!! But Rob gets the nod tonight...

Akzag
02-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Matt gets it for his clever shooting and overall calming effect on tonight's efficient offense. Steven gets it for d, for his constant pressure on Delladedracula.

outrunu (?) killed me with one spelling in the game thread ... but this is what I'll be calling him for the next three years ... well played.

Akzag
02-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Didn't know where else to put this, but Tommy said in post-game that Will was going to start taking the team's technicals. He was joking. I think. :p

17% ? Seriously? Swoosh.

Mantua
02-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Gray! Mr. Defense, a great team player.

MickMick
02-12-2010, 04:02 AM
I'm voting for Matt.....playing well enough to be WCC MVP and an All American.

Goshzagit
02-12-2010, 05:12 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Qf4G0idTU98/Scmy2nwoxXI/AAAAAAAAAKU/e0G3px1fjmY/s320/Fleur+de+lis.png

kitzbuel
02-12-2010, 05:26 AM
My vote is for Meech. Holding Mickey McConnel to ZIPPY. A key componenet to this win was not letting SMC 3pt shooters shoot.

McConnell and 'Jaws' Dellavadova went 1-5. Those are two of the top three conference 3 pt shooters.

And Meech tosses in 8 pts on top of it (Dude, hit your free throws, you have double digit pts if you do!)

Reno, add Meech!

Nevtelen
02-12-2010, 05:29 AM
just gave Sacre the high efficiency player of the game.

Fox: "He dominated Samhan. he was all over the place. shot 6-11, only two to's. Had 2 steals. He was very active against Samhan & was really physical, especially the second half."

I'm not sure you can say he 'dominated' a guy who got 21 and 11, but Rob played very well tonight against the best C on the W coast. He's really been putting together a resurgence late in the season.

kitzbuel
02-12-2010, 05:34 AM
Jaws came in with a league leading 2.9 A/TO ratio. His ratio in this game 3 assists and 5 TOs for .6

Bocco
02-12-2010, 05:52 AM
team D

Agreed, and it was what was missing against Pepp, LMU, SCU and USF.

gamagin
02-12-2010, 07:11 AM
I'm not sure you can say he 'dominated' a guy who got 21 and 11, but Rob played very well tonight against the best C on the W coast. He's really been putting together a resurgence late in the season.

Omar had big trouble going to the net. And he was dominated this time, imo, in the second half. He's a good shooter and is not about to be shut down, so he wasn't dominated in that respect. He got his shots. But nothing easy.

He also lost the positioning battle and the easy shots he's used to. And he had a tough time dishing, too, in that second half. several turnovers thanks to long hands and savvy,

It was a big part of shutting down the "normal" SMC offense. The outside shooters couldn't set up and neither could Omar.

FrosTbear
02-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Not one of the poll selections but the GUnit was the Team "D" Under 30% shooting in the second half. This was a FINAL FOUR TEAM last night!!!

hondo
02-12-2010, 07:32 AM
The guy who finally found the thermostat and turned it down. I've been in buildings that were on fire that were cooler than the MAC last night.

former1dog
02-12-2010, 07:35 AM
The guy who finally found the thermostat and turned it down. I've been in buildings that were on fire that were cooler than the MAC last night.

Hondo,

I saw you on TV last night. Just thought I'd share :D

gamagin
02-12-2010, 07:37 AM

at the half the exit doors were all crowded with people standing around while the ushers held the doors open so we could breathe. You could bake bread where I was sitting.

Xin Loi 67
02-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Simply, the best last night.

Knotsolucky
02-12-2010, 07:55 AM
As usual Matt took care of business.

It was good to see Woohoo finally...

cvzag79
02-12-2010, 08:11 AM
There should be a poll spot for cookies haha according to my dad who works where the saint marys team stayed over the last 24 hours they were there......they ate over 50 COOKIES! What a way to get ready for the game eh?

americasteam
02-12-2010, 10:46 AM
I went with Matt, rock solid all game. I love how he allows his team to shine, what with his great passes, but knows exactly when it's time to take it himself. I think that has got to be one of the harder things to do in a basketball game. Great Game by everyone, though.

Oh, and awesome 'King Kong' by Sacre....I laughed for a good 5 minutes!

Zagnailler
02-12-2010, 10:46 AM
pog to MB, with contributions made by Grey nd Meech, and Will and Rob esp. on D noted.

lothar98zag
02-12-2010, 11:33 AM
I wonder if Few was the one that turned the heat on...

Ziggy
02-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Sorry about the late entry on this thread, I just got back to my computer.
Again, my pick is for Matty B. This game provides him the platform for POY
over The Omar. and Player of the Week as well. I told him so after the game when Nathan from StL and Travis from StL and I were down collecting sigs from the guys after the game! HM to Will, Bol, Bobby, Kelly (who was wrapped in ice packs after the game for his floor work) Also Woowho should get an Honorary Honorable Mention for reigniting the ritual of kissing the Bulldog at center court before Airmailing the half court shot (gotta hit the rim in this game Nathan ;) )

ZagsGoZags
02-15-2010, 01:24 AM
First chance to vote,
I just got back from a trip
but I saw the game on TV and what a breakout game for Sacre
I haven't read any posts yet for past four days, but I imagine some others are saying the same thing
Although Bouldin, speaking objectively, may have contributed more, I have to cast my emotional and inspirational vote to

Bobbie Sacre