PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's International Player Rankings

MedZag
04-27-2007, 10:27 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=All-World-21-40

Ronny is #23, above Andrew Bogut, Wally Szczerbiak, and Dikembe Mutombo among others. :)

sittingon50
04-27-2007, 10:46 AM
I had no idea that Szczerbiak was an international player!! Since I don't have access, where is he from?

Pallet
04-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Szczerbiak is from the US, but it says he was born in spain. I wonder when he moved over here. I would think that if he came here before he started playing ball, he shouldn't count as an international player. Someone like Kobe Bryant should count as an international player then, because he actually grew up in Italy.

BTW, wasn't Raivio born in Belgium?

GonzagaGurl08
04-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Pallet- you're right about Raivio. Derek was indeed born in Belgium because that is where his dad was playing at the time. Because of that, I believe that he speaks a little french. Here's a link to a great Raivio story published by the GU Bulletin in 2005.http://media.www.gonzagabulletin.com/media/storage/paper375/news/2005/02/04/Sports/Derek.Raivio-853294-page1.shtml

thespywhozaggedme
04-27-2007, 09:08 PM
The guy continues to perpetuate the stereotype that americans are geographically illiterate. he has Tim Duncan and Raja Bell on the list. Apparently being born an american citizen with a US passport and a ss card now qualifies you as an international player.:rolleyes:

Why the USVI and Puerto Rico, for that matter field olympic teams has always been a great mystery to me. california might as well have a team since it's as much of a country as the other two locals I just mentioned.

DrDrivel
04-27-2007, 09:30 PM
That's a bizarre take on things. I don't see it as being much different from Scotland fielding a FIBA national team. They are culturally and physically distinct from the main corpus of American life in ways that California is not.

soonerterp
04-28-2007, 02:12 AM
Assorted comments (I have been away for a while so no posting).

Could we -- or SHOULD we -- differentiate between international players who never played American college basketball (Andrei Kirilenko, Dirk Nowitzki, Andrea Bargnani, Sergio Rodriguez, of Russia, Germany, Italy and Spain respectively) and non-American-born players who DID play American college basketball (Luol Deng, Eduardo Najera, Sarunas Jasikevicius, Ronny Turiaf ... who attended Duke, Oklahoma, Maryland and Gonzaga respectively ... and granted, Jasikevicius is unique even in that list because after leaving Maryland he went and played international ball for several years BEFORE entering the NBA, while Deng, Najera and Turiaf stuck in the NBA -- yes I include Turiaf despite his sitting out a while as a rook after the heart surgery, and then doing a stint in the D League).

Also wondering: Why can't I find a ranking of Americans who are playing ball overseas, or was I looking in the wrong places?

---------------------------
GonzagaGurl -- thanks for posting that article, although it now makes me kind of sad because I'm going to miss Derek Raivio something fierce.

GonzagaGurl08
04-28-2007, 03:11 AM
Soonerterp- you're welcome. It makes me sad too. I've really enjoyed watching Derek as a player. I hope that he will have a good career playing ball.

thespywhozaggedme
04-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Doc,
you kinda missed my point. I don't believe that Scotland fields an olympic team because they are part of The United Kingdom. My point regarding USVI and PR fielding olympic teams was a digression but the point was neither of them are nations, they're both officially part of the United States, as is California. I would argue that Hawaii is more "culturally and physically distinct" than either of these places. Should hawaii field an olympic team? No, because it is part of the USA, as is PR and the USVI. Tim Duncan and Raja Bell are not intl players, they are both US citizens by birth.

skan72
04-29-2007, 11:40 AM
I believe Scotland does have a national team, I have never heard of their senior team, but I have heard and seen their u-19 teams and u-21 teams play. From that I figure they do have a national team that they attempt to field for the Olympics. But Scotland is definitely its own country. In fact the United Kingdom somewhat considers itself its own continet, lol, just because they do no believe they are part of Europe, this is taught in their schools and they aren't part of EU, I believe. So all the countries inside the UK are part of the UK but don't all participate as the UK for sports.

Argentum
04-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Actually according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_union#Member_states) the United Kingdom has been a part of the European Union since 1973, but they decided to keep their own currency along with Denmark and Sweden.

skan72
04-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Oh well then, all I know is that the citizens are taught in school that they are not a part of Europe.

DrDrivel
04-29-2007, 05:42 PM
And Spy, you missed my point, which is that those places consider themselves to be distinct enclaves that happen to be part of the United States, whereas Hawaii (and in your first, least sensible argument, California) considers itself to be a STATE.

I wonder if you know anything about the cultural mentality of the USVI and Puerto Rico. Why (aside from taxation issues) do you think referenda on statehood (specifically Puerto Rico) are unsuccessful?

Basically, your argument is that it doesn't make sense to YOU and you're angry that people won't cater to your definitions. But you know nothing of the circumstances. And I would argue that you're not willing to understand, as evidenced by your argument that Hawaii is more culturally distinct from the mainland US. I lived in Hawaii. Puerto Rico's melange of cultures languages and heritages makes it a much more separate entity than Hawaii.

thespywhozaggedme
04-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Doc,
I wasn't angry at you, sorry if I gave you that impression. All I said was that PR and USVI are not nations, they are part of the US, so why do they have olympic teams? I suspect that one of the main reasons that PR hasn't voted for statehood is due in part to the fact that they pay no federal taxes. Latest polls show a slight edge to statehood. I've been there and have a few close PR friends. Hawaii also has a vocal contigent calling for independant nation status. I was under the impression that the olympics are a competition of nation vs nation. I don't know what I said that made you so angry, but sorry.

DrDrivel
05-02-2007, 12:11 AM
For one reason or another, I wasn't able to access this site for a couple days while others were apparently able to. Let me first say that while I'm a pretty aggressive debater and can sometimes come across as confrontational, it's just an internet style that I've learned over the years can be off-putting. I don't mean to come across as angry to you, either. At any rate, I think we've each said our part and we'll agree to disagree.