PDA

View Full Version : "Hoop it Up" Exhibit at Foley

Angelo Roncalli
02-09-2010, 04:02 PM
‘HOOP IT UP: GONZAGA’S BASKETBALL HERITAGE’ EXHIBITION OPENS IN
FOLEY CENTER THROUGH APRIL 30

Exhibition Free, Open to the Public; Special Viewing Hours Added; Bing Crosby’s In It, Too

For the first time, Gonzaga University Archives and Gonzaga Athletics have teamed up to offer the public a free exhibition titled “Hoop It Up: Gonzaga’s Basketball Heritage.” The exhibition, which includes items dating from 1906 to the present, is on display in the Cowles Rare Book Reading Room in Gonzaga’s Foley Center Library and will remain through April 30.

More than 150 items depicting the history of men’s and women’s basketball at Gonzaga are on display. The exhibition includes rare photographs, Josh Heytvelt’s size 18 basketball shoe, trophies, uniforms, news-clippings, tickets, signed basketballs, even the Championship Surfboard from the 2009 Maui Invitational, among other rarely seen Gonzaga athletics memorabilia.

In addition, visitors will be able to see the highlights from the 1959 Gonzaga men’s basketball game against Seattle University, which includes footage of former Gonzaga All-American Frank Burgess.

Even Gonzaga’s most famous alumnus, Bing Crosby, is depicted wearing knee-high, striped socks for his intramural basketball team photo.

Gonzaga University Archivist Stephanie Plowman, who designed the exhibition, said even longtime Zags’ fans will be surprised to see much of the material on display at the Foley Center exhibition.

“This exhibition displays items that the public normally does not get to see. While the Gonzaga University Archives provided the historical materials, the Athletic Department supplied the current items,” Plowman said. “It is a great opportunity for our two departments to collaborate on this exhibition.”

Because Gonzaga wants as many people as possible to view the exhibition, special Saturday viewing hours have been added, Plowman said.

“My hope is that the visitors will leave with a much better understanding of – and appreciation for – the development of Gonzaga basketball over the years,” Plowman said. “The relatively recent success of the men’s and women’s teams are the result of a historical foundation that has been in place for years.”

The exhibition will remain open through April 30. Weekday viewing hours are 9 a.m.-noon and 1-4 p.m. The exhibition is open on Saturdays from 1-4 p.m., and closed on Sundays.

For more information, please contact Stephanie Plowman, Gonzaga University Archivist, at (509) 313-3847 or via e-mail at plowman@gonzaga.edu.

Stephanie E. Plowman
Special Collections Librarian, Foley Center Library
502 E. Boone Ave.
Spokane, WA 99258-0095
http://www.gonzaga.edu

hondo
02-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Mr Cave Bear and I spent some quality time at the exhibit this afternoon. It brought back many memories of the 50s-60s 70s up to present day. I have a few items at home that I will donate to the collection and would suggest that anyone having old media guides or programs or pictures that there would be no better place for those things than this collection where they can be seen by fans who are interested.
We also past tent city and thought that the temp in Spokane right now is ideal for camping unlike a few years past when temps were well below freezing.

RenoZag
02-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Perhaps it will end up as a video on the school's web site (so out of towners can catch a glimpse also )

Cavebear33
02-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Hondo and I really enjoyed looking through the exhibit. With his vast knowledge of Gonzaga basketball, I learned a lot about former players and their history, before and after their playing days. I encourage everyone to come see the collection. It's well worth it. Stephanie Plowman was a gracious host and has done a wonderful job putting the exhibit together. As Hondo says, if you have any items she could use, she would welcome a loan, so others could experience your treasures as well.

rijman
02-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Perhaps it will end up as a video on the school's web site (so out of towners can catch a glimpse also )

That would be great. I am interested in a "Decade of Excellence" type DVD covering GU basketball's history. As Stephanie Plowman said on the Mark Few show she wants people to be aware that Gonzaga's basketball history extends beyond the past decade. I am in 100% agreement.

There have been so many great GU players and coaches in the past (such as Frank Burgess, John Stockton, Jim Bresnahan, Dan Fitzgerald, Hank Anderson and many, many more) with great stories and accomplishments. Why not share that with all of Zag nation and the world?

Some of the GU greats are no longer alive to tell their stories. I hope GU's basketball history will be captured on DVD with interviews from the GU legends, before it's too late.

LongIslandZagFan
02-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Looking forward to seeing it during my Spokane visit at the end march.

d2zag
03-31-2010, 08:17 PM
Saw the exhibit on my visit to Spokane last week! It's truly amazing! I especially enjoyed the footage of Frank Burgess...

ID ZAGFAN
04-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Want to bring this to everybody's attention as the exhibit ends next Friday, April 30. So if you haven't been, you have 6 more chances to go---one more Saturday.

We went a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it a lot. It is well worth a visit.

ZaGranny