PDA

View Full Version : St. Mary's is #1 in WCC, not Gonzaga

Darth Zag
02-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Gaels are in first, by themselves. Gonzaga is in second. Gaels have revenge factor and must win to dance in March.

Gaels win Thursday!

Thomas_Sutpen
02-09-2010, 12:22 PM
I hope they enjoy holding sole possession of 1st place for the next 58 hours, because in 59 hours they'll be in sole possession of 2nd place.

Pargo the Destroyer
02-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Gaels are in first, by themselves. Gonzaga is in second. Gaels have revenge factor and must win to dance in March.

Gaels win Thursday!

uh yeah. good luck with that.

DixieZag
02-09-2010, 12:41 PM
I honestly hope that they do not have to win either of the two games remaining with GU to be in the tournament. It is plausible that there will be more at large bids for non-bcs leagues, b/c the Pac-10 is very down, and the Big 11 and SEC are all about 3 teams top heavy. There may be more space for SMC.

But, no, I do not think you will win either game. But I do wish you well in whatever tournament you end up in.:D

Colbyspapa
02-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Just because they want to do something doesn't mean they can. In an even match, the people who show more heart will win. This isn't an even matchup. We dominate them at all positions but the 5.

I don't think there will be any problem with our heart in this game or any other the rest of the year. The Zags are awake and determined. Our superior athletic ability, coaching and basketball IQ will win this game. I'm going all in on the WCC Pickem on this game.

primal23
02-09-2010, 12:51 PM
who are you rooting for, darth turd?

sheesh

Hey went to the dark side, cause he thought they had cookies.

NontradZag
02-09-2010, 01:09 PM
http://www.leelefever.com/archives/cookie.jpg

Xin Loi 67
02-09-2010, 01:38 PM
How come they don't have the target on their backs then? They know, we know and evertbody should know, they have to beat the Zags to claim 1st.

I think this game will define everything else the Zags do for the rest of the year. I also think performances with regard to, All WCC, POY, etc. will at least be partially determined on Thursday.

Go Zags!

former1dog
02-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Actually, if the season ended today, I think the conference title would be given to Gonzaga if not shared.

Fairness would dictate that because Gonzaga has played one less game overall that we would have to go to the loss column in conference to fairly determine a champion. Since there is a tie in the loss column, the first tie breaker is always head to head record. Gonzaga beat St. Mary's in Moraga. Based on this tie breaker, Gonzaga is the conference champion should the season magically end today.

God willing, that isn't going to happen and so Gonzaga will go on to beat St. Mary's on Thursday and then in a few weeks time will rightfully claim yet another regular season conference championship.

Have fun deluding yourself until then.

sircreate
02-09-2010, 01:59 PM
If you finish with the same win/loss then the conference title is shared.

I believe who you lose too only matters when it comes to seeds in Vegas, and its not about head to head but more about whose the worst loss too, so losing USF is worse then losing to Gonzaga so as it stands, St Mary's would get the no.1 seed.

titopoet
02-09-2010, 02:21 PM

Gaels win Thursday!

True. They do have the revenge factor. You also forgot they have the slob factor in Omar.

The problem. GU has the better athletes factor, the better players factor, the better coach factor, the better team factor, the better fans factor and ...
the home court factor.

Not to mention that they are looking to stay home for the first two rounds, they have the prove to the nation factor.

SMC just better hope they leave with some confidence left after their GU beatdown, or they will end up after the weekend being tied with Portland for second. Hey, NIT is that bad, Omar.

former1dog
02-09-2010, 02:23 PM
If you finish with the same win/loss then the conference title is shared.

I believe who you lose too only matters when it comes to seeds in Vegas, and its not about head to head but more about whose the worst loss too, so losing USF is worse then losing to Gonzaga so as it stands, St Mary's would get the no.1 seed.

Sorry, Sircreate, you are incorrect. The official WCC tie breaker scenario's first contingency is head to head record, as it should be.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/sanf/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/09WCCTournScenarios.pdf

WCC Tie brea ker PROCEDURES
1) Head-to-head results
2) Results vs. other teams in descending order of finish
3) RPI (Collegiate Basketball News RPI)
In the case of multiple ties, the one which can be resolved via the earliest tie-breaking step is broken first, beginning with the lower tie.
If more than two teams are tied, the composite record of all teams within the tie is used for steps 1 & 2.

outrunu
02-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Sorry, Sircreate, you are incorrect. The official WCC tie breaker scenario's first contingency is head to head record, as it should be.

Your silly fact's have no place in this argument.

sircreate
02-09-2010, 02:36 PM
I didnt say it was a fact :P was just my belief from what someone else had told me. But I know Im wrong now so thanks for clearing that up

former1dog
02-09-2010, 02:38 PM
I didnt say it was a fact :P was just my belief from what someone else had told me. But I know Im wrong now so thanks for clearing that up

You bet. We're all on the same team here. ;)

Once and Future Zag
02-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Just because they want to do something doesn't mean they can. In an even match, the people who show more heart will win. This isn't an even matchup. We dominate them at all positions but the 5.

I don't know - Dellavadova vs Meech is a tough choice, but I definitely wouldn't say that Meech would "dominate" him. Different skillsets for different teams with different systems, surrounding casts, and needs.

That's a toss-up at best, with the edge to St Mary's, IMO.

bigblahla
02-09-2010, 03:05 PM
If this game came down to Meech vs Delly it would be fun to watch but this game will be won or lost through our defensive intensity.

As good an offensive team as the Gaels are, it's a crime they're not ranked, we will win or lose this game through our defense.

If we bring the effort we showed against Portland it will be a long night for the Gaels if not then it will be a nail biter but "WE CONTROL OUR DESTINY."

Personally, sending Omar home for the last time with a 20+ point loss in spite of his double double would make my night.

Just my opinion,

Go!! Zags!!!

McZag
02-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Gaels coming to Spokane. Gaels will have hands full. Gaels do not play tough competition outside of the WCC. Gaels will lose.

EngineerZag
02-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Guys, the tiebreaker applies only for seeding in the tournament. If SMC and GU finish with the same league record (which would probably have to be 12-2 for both teams - not likely), they would share the regular season league title, and the 1 and 2 seed into the WCC tournament would be given based on the tiebreaker.

JPtheBeasta
02-09-2010, 09:31 PM
I hope for the sake of the Zags the tie breaker vs. Samhan and Co. isn't a sandwich eating contest.

NovaZag
02-09-2010, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE=Darth Zag;533950]Gaels are in first, by themselves. Gonzaga is in second. Gaels have revenge factor and must win to dance in March.

Gaels win Thursday![/QUOTE

They've had the revenge factor for awhile now, still can't manage to get it though. Maybe next year, or the year after, or the year after that. One of these days....

alaskazagnut
02-09-2010, 09:52 PM

Gaels win Thursday!

Their schedule is not too impressive and still have only 3 losses. Everyone knows who is #1 though. Thats what really matters.