PDA

View Full Version : Center Pierre Henderson-Niles no longer a Memphis player.

SLOZag
02-08-2010, 08:54 PM
"In a strangely worded release posted to the Memphis official athletic web site Monday night, coach Josh Pastner announced center Pierre Henderson-Niles is "no longer a member of the Tigers basketball team.""

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2010-02-08/pierre-henderson-niles-dismissed-from-memphis-basketball-team

That doesn't bode well for Memphis' (and our) RPI improvement.

ZagNative
02-08-2010, 09:55 PM
That is one big young man, #1 on the right here, defending against Elias, with Witherspoon at the left.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/S3D4h_0_dXI/AAAAAAAAGKw/jeMP_srDa0Q/2010-02-06%20Elias%20Harris%20Memphis-2a.jpg

CDC84
02-08-2010, 10:17 PM
The ESPN ticker said that he has quit the team to focus on earning his degree.

CB4
02-08-2010, 10:51 PM
I liked him. Strong, powerful, aggressive... it's too bad basketball didn't work out for him. His reasoning seems to be sound, IMO:

The NBA is not in his future and basketball is hurting his academics. His future lies in his academics. Quit basketball, concentrate on academics. Smart move, I wish him the best.

cscz28
02-08-2010, 10:56 PM
I liked him. Strong, powerful, aggressive... it's too bad basketball didn't work out for him. His reasoning seems to be sound, IMO:

The NBA is not in his future and basketball is hurting his academics. His future lies in his academics. Quit basketball, concentrate on academics. Smart move, I wish him the best.

.....in the middle of his senior season though? I realize this probably wasn't some spur of the moment decision but still........

alaskazagnut
02-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Things like this help a team in the long run. It makes everyone realize how important it is to balance life with basketball and they all pull some focus, heart and energy out from where they did not know they had it. They will compensate for his loss and everyone will step it up a notch. They might be Dancin' come March because they have a legitimate chance to win their conference tourney.

We had a similar thing happen in 2007. When Josh left it hurt, but it didn't kill us, we still went dancin'. Josh was way more important to our team, he was a starter. Pierre Henderson-Niles was not and only averages about 6 pts a game. We lost a couple games but in the long run, our team and each individual guy got smarter, stronger and better. We still went on to win our confernece Tourney and crush the hopes of San Diego.

Xin Loi 67
02-09-2010, 05:40 AM
with hopps! I think he saw the teams chances close for the 2A's and made a good but selfish choice. It wouldn't happen here or has it?

GUZagDenver
02-09-2010, 06:20 AM
with hopps! I think he saw the teams chances close for the 2A's and made a good but selfish choice. It wouldn't happen here or has it?

Memphis could easily win the Conference USA tournament and win a game or 2 in the field of 65........

tobizag
02-09-2010, 06:21 AM
my only lasting memory of this guy was my senior year ('07) when he walked off the court at the spokane arena, after memphis beat us in a controversial game, and flipped off the student section.

ZagNative
02-09-2010, 06:56 AM
with hopps! I think he saw the teams chances close for the 2A's and made a good but selfish choice. It wouldn't happen here or has it?Really? Presumably, he came to college to get an education, and also to be able to play basketball. If he felt the time required for basketball was hurting his academics, how would it be considered selfish for him to give up the basketball to focus on his academics? I'm just speculating, because I don't know much about him, but perhaps he realized he wasn't good enough to be drafted after his eligibility ran out, so he'd better focus on improving his chances of getting his degree on time and being prepared to live a life outside basketball.

Butler Guy
02-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Synthetic insulin coverage for Type-II diabetes was dropped from UM's HMO, IMO.

FlyZag
02-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Really? Presumably, he came to college to get an education, and also to be able to play basketball. If he felt the time required for basketball was hurting his academics, how would it be considered selfish for him to give up the basketball to focus on his academics? ...

IMO it would be considered selfish because he was presumably on scholarship. Because the academic year has already started his tuition/books/fees have already been paid for this QTR/Semester. Therefore he is receiving "payment" for services not rendered. ALSO, lets not forget the commitment one makes to his/her teammates. A spot was created for him. With his absence he is leaving his teammates, coaches and fans with a void on the TEAM.

Being a former scholarship athelete, I do understand the personal reasons a student athelete makes to quit or transfer. There is a tremendous amount of pressure and burden on these kids. Think of the time committment of practice and travel along with studies. It is HARD! So I do understand... but in the end, it is still selfish.

alaskazagnut
02-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Really? Presumably, he came to college to get an education, and also to be able to play basketball. If he felt the time required for basketball was hurting his academics, how would it be considered selfish for him to give up the basketball to focus on his academics? but perhaps he realized he wasn't good enough to be drafted after his eligibility ran out, so he'd better focus on improving his chances of getting his degree on time and being prepared to live a life outside basketball.

But your optimism is outdated. These days, college Div 1 hoops athletes rate Hoops first, and Academic second. Be real. They may say that it is the opposite but they have dreamed of the Div1 and the NBA since they were kids. If they didn't dream the dream they predominantly would not be DIV 1 The effort and time is too great to not see that Basketball is first. C'mon guys, basketball consumes most of the time on any given day. That is why balance of life skills is so important. Most kids get their grades and degree, but still have hoops the focus. There are academic standards or the kids are "removed" from the team. Straight up. No grades, no play. IMO, he was failing school so he was told he was going to be removed. He was likely offered to "quit before being cut". Wise move for all sides.

Seriously though, if an alien studied my first 2 years of college life they would conclude that partying, drinking and chillin' in Welch and Alliance halls. was my major. Economics and Sociology my minor. Yet I still averaged over a 3.0 and got a great job afterward. If the same alien studied Matt Bouldin, they would conclude Basketball was his major. Nothing wrong with most of their time and effort going into the sport, when most "go pro in something other than sports".

gamagin
02-09-2010, 01:15 PM
the timing of this decision is fishy. He's already put in four years. What's another month or 1.5 ? Most of the hard work is behind him.

Everything he worked for was in front of him & this team, the league, a possible dance. Memphis is his home town. Presumably he wants to live and work there. There's always summer school. And so forth.

Something happened, I believe.

I hope the coach didn't ream him out for "failing" to score underneath, because he was ready, willing and able, and would have an additional 6-10 layin points had we not drawn the charge from Niles' teammates who were dishing to him numerous times.

sittingon50
02-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Pretty broad brush! I'm guessin' the kids at Cornell, Northwestern & Stanford (to name a few) might view things a bit differently. Jeremy Lin may too.

(response to "nut")

ZagNative
02-09-2010, 01:28 PM
+1 gamagin, not that I want to prolong this thread, which is showing signs of tending toward thread hell ....

titopoet
02-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Memphis could easily win the Conference USA tournament and win a game or 2 in the field of 65........

I will stick up for my undergraduate school and say no way. UTEP is the best team in C-USA.