PDA

View Full Version : KC

sittingon50
02-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Are the students camped out yet?

gu03alum
02-08-2010, 01:51 PM
The staff and faculty were lined up really early this morning. There were already 25 people there at 3:30 and I heard that if you weren't there by around 5 you didn't get tickets.

MikeGallego
02-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Nope, not yet. There are actually student tickets left. I don't know why, but this game doesn't seem to be as huge among the students as it really is.

If true, that's absurd. Can we really still pretend that the KC is the best student section in the country? Can we even try to pretend? So lame.

DenDiegoZag
02-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Maybe it is a good thing that we are not feeding into the egos of the Gales by making them think that we predict this to be anything more than another WCC home game. As long as K2 is rocking come 30 min. before tip off, I could care less how long people have camped out for a game, and I have done my fair share of camp outs to get into games at K1 and K2...Go Zags! Take care of business. KC better bring it.

MBZags
02-08-2010, 02:28 PM
The Kennel Club told us that we weren't allowed to start camping out until Tuesday at 12:15, for whatever reason.

MikeGallego
02-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Maybe it is a good thing that we are not feeding into the egos of the Gales by making them think that we predict this to be anything more than another WCC home game. As long as K2 is rocking come 30 min. before tip off, I could care less how long people have camped out for a game, and I have done my fair share of camp outs to get into games at K1 and K2...Go Zags! Take care of business. KC better bring it.

I should probably clarify what I think is lame. What's lame is that there are still tickets available. Camping for games is bonkers, so I too could care less about that.

DenDiegoZag
02-08-2010, 02:39 PM
That is weird on the tickets thing. I agree. Maybe too many people did not want to wait in line for tickets during the Super Bowl? Does anyone know if they moved distribution? Maybe they had it late last night and half the campus was out celebrating the Saints victory?

007Zag
02-08-2010, 02:39 PM
MG, agreed. I can't believe that tickets are still available. That's ridiculous. Camping out for days on end is equally so.

zagfan08
02-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Ticket distribution was at noon on Sunday, no conflict with the Super Bowl. Very disappointing there were still tickets available today, but I've been disappointed with the general knowledge of KCers all year so it's not too much of a shock.

MikeGallego
02-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Ticket distribution was at noon on Sunday, no conflict with the Super Bowl. Very disappointing there were still tickets available today, but I've been disappointed with the general knowledge of KCers all year so it's not too much of a shock.

Sounds like a leadership problem to me.

75Zag
02-08-2010, 06:59 PM
I think KC is just about the best thing ever,

and the band ain't bad either.

http://popup.lala.com/popup/360569505302413848

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

LegacyZag
02-08-2010, 07:06 PM
As of today, the St. Marys game is sold out. I believe there are still some San Diego tickets however.

xStartTodayx
02-08-2010, 07:38 PM
I always laugh at the anti KC posts. Who cares what time tickets get picked up. They always show up and sing, scream, jump, stomp and harrass. I bet they can also be thanked for the additional help with recruiting. We have a great home court advantage and we owe it to them. How great is it to have 1200 students show up when the entire student body is around 6,000!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks KC.

105in5
02-08-2010, 09:29 PM
I always laugh at the anti KC posts. Who cares what time tickets get picked up. They always show up and sing, scream, jump, stomp and harrass. I bet they can also be thanked for the additional help with recruiting. We have a great home court advantage and we owe it to them. How great is it to have 1200 students show up when the entire student body is around 6,000!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks KC.

Name another University playing big time division 1 basketball or football that has a higher percentage of the overall student population filling its student section for games. The only one that comes to mind is Notre Dame in football. While the Cameron Crazies are a phenomenal home court advantage, the student section is only 1600 if I recall correctly.

MikeGallego
02-09-2010, 06:18 AM
Name another University playing big time division 1 basketball or football that has a higher percentage of the overall student population filling its student section for games. The only one that comes to mind is Notre Dame in football. While the Cameron Crazies are a phenomenal home court advantage, the student section is only 1600 if I recall correctly.

I don't understand why that's an argument in favor of the KC. The number of student seats is capped at GU as it is at Duke or Michigan State or Illinois or anywhere else. Size of student section relative to size of student population is not a defense of the Kennel Club. All it does is state a fact. It's time we stop saying that the KC is better than any other student section because, in my mind, all that does it go to their heads and make them stop trying. Maybe at one time they were the best (debatable), but they aren't anymore.
This SMC game is the most important home game of the year. That the student tickets weren't all distributed on Sunday says something of the KC members and their opinion of themselves, in my mind.

105in5
02-09-2010, 09:12 AM
I don't understand why that's an argument in favor of the KC. The number of student seats is capped at GU as it is at Duke or Michigan State or Illinois or anywhere else. Size of student section relative to size of student population is not a defense of the Kennel Club. All it does is state a fact. It's time we stop saying that the KC is better than any other student section because, in my mind, all that does it go to their heads and make them stop trying. Maybe at one time they were the best (debatable), but they aren't anymore.
This SMC game is the most important home game of the year. That the student tickets weren't all distributed on Sunday says something of the KC members and their opinion of themselves, in my mind.

What is your point here? Someone else earlier in the string pointed out that as long as the student seats are full, the students are loud and obnoxious, and GU wins, what does it matter when the tickets were picked up? Are you saying they would somehow have been picked up sooner at Duke, Michigan State, Illinois, etc? Does this mean they will drink less beer than those student bodies to prep for the game?

My point is simply that the support GU's basketball team receives as a percentage of the overall student body is extremely unique. Are they the best student section in America? I don't know how you'd ever measure that. It makes K2 one of the top 5-10 most difficult places to play in college basketball...Statistics back that claim.

LongIslandZagFan
02-09-2010, 09:57 AM

Simple question... is the student section sold out? If so, you really don't have any point to make other that giving the KC crap. I could care less whether the KC is the best, as long as they are there for every game. You want to give people crap, give it to the lame-o only trying to be on TV people behind the benches sitting on their hands every damn game instead. THAT is far more pathetic than the student section selling out 4 days before the game.

BroncoZAG615
02-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Simple question... is the student section sold out? If so, you really don't have any point to make other that giving the KC crap. I could care less whether the KC is the best, as long as they are there for every game. You want to give people crap, give it to the lame-o only trying to be on TV people behind the benches sitting on their hands every damn game instead. THAT is far more pathetic than the student section selling out 4 days before the game.

Yeah I agree with this. I never really understood just how odd the MAC atmosphere is until I graduated and have been to a few games at colleges other than Gonzaga. Hell, I've been to three or four Colorado games and their non-student fans are on their feet after every big play. It is remarkable how much louder it gets when everyone in the arena is on their feet and doing something.

Chants sound a lot better when there is some background noise to them. Then again I'm also a huge believer that the student section should move to behind the baskets if possible. I think that adds a whole new element to home court advantage (especially for our not-so-good free throw shooting club)

MikeGallego
02-09-2010, 11:39 AM

Fair enough.
My point was small, but I think still important. The KC rests on the laurels that the greater GU community seems to give it. That is to say that we love to see the YouTube videos of the students jumping up and down, we love to point out the home winning percentage as a sign of a great home court advantage, etc. In the process, the KC buys in to the hype and, thus, doesn't feel like it has any room to improve.
In the end, all I'm saying is that just because things aren't as bad as they could be doesn't mean they can't be better than they are. Maybe talking about the KC distracts us from the fact that the non-student crowd is pretty terrible, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to call for the KC to be better in their own right.

zag944
02-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Sounds like a leadership problem to me.

i was there right when the school took the KC over (luckily, I turned 21 at the right time so I could join everyone at the bar events as soon as the house party thing got more difficult).
It was my perception that the leadership and responsibilities were greatly diminished, while the seats "reserved" for the KC Board becamse the seats "reserved" for about three rows of their friends. As a senior I felt bad for the freshmen that couldnt hit up a few house parties, or couldnt get one of the best seats despite having good position in the wait line outsite. Those were some of my fondest memories of college.
There was a ticket line DURING the Pats-Panthers SuperBowl, and they ran out of tickets with about 300+ people still in line.
I love basketball and would have attended games under any circumstances, but I wonder if its become significantly less fun for someone that isnt as passionate because of all the recent changes.

CB4
02-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Been to a couple games in the MAC. The Kennel Club is a first class student section. The lower bowl fans across the way are another story. No matching colors, sitting on their hands, borrringgggg. I have never seen a non-student section as quiet as that lower bowl. Of course there are exceptions, but as a whole they aren't in the top 100.

LongIslandZagFan
02-09-2010, 01:27 PM
The posers in the lower bowl IMHO drag the KC down like a lead weight. Put that damn cameras on the other side like they do in Cameron and show the real fans.

gamagin
02-09-2010, 01:50 PM
(1) Just about everyone you see in the middle of the section opposite the KC are those who put up a minimum $100k and in some cases $1M (a total of $6+ Million) or more so the Mac could be built. Either that or their guests.

(2) Some of those in the very front row behind the scorekeeper and the announcer are guests of GU, or are regents of trustees.

(3) If you had 100 pounds of gold dust in each pocket, you might resent having to jump to your feet and scream for 40 minutes under any circumstances, unless you hair was on fire.

(4) They are there to receive kudos, not give them out. They already gave, big time, when it really counted. When the building project was on the line. They come to watch their beloved Zags, too, but not to act and react like college kids who are just happy to be there. They come to bear witness to their wisdom and the genius of their investment in the phenomena they helped bring to the next level it now enjoys. This includes the guy whose jet flies our guys all over the country for a song, the guy whose company build the Mac, JS & family, and many, many more.

(5) If, by chance, you actually see someone in that section going nuts, it's a sure sign the lady/guy probably is an interloper sitting in someone else's seat. Or is having a nervous breakdown. Or both.

(6) all that said, I believe this section will be up more than usual and energized more than usual, vs. SMC. Because this is the kind of game that will test everyone, not just the players, to see if we're all up to the task of beating an opponent that is clearly hungrier, and much poorer, than we are.

But the question is, are they better ? I don't think so.

Hope that helps.

zag944
02-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Put that damn cameras on the other side like they do in Cameron and show the real fans.

is there any reason they dont do this that I might not be aware of?

LongIslandZagFan
02-09-2010, 02:00 PM

Just guessing that the big donors sitting behind said benches wanted to make sure they got the TV face time they paid for. I was 3 rows back from the floor at MSG and gave to end-line ref more than few choice words and had no problems standing and yelling... and I am approaching old-fogey status.

lothar98zag
02-09-2010, 02:05 PM
This is how the cameras are positioned @ 95%+ of the basketball arenas/gyms/stadiums around the country (world?). I'm guessing GU did it this way simply because that's the way everyone else does it. There are probably more reasons why, but I think one reason is TV people like to see the coaches and bench players during play, but I may be wrong...

...I also don't know of any reason why (besides cost) that the cameras couldn't be moved to the other side of the MAC or any other arena...

Colbyspapa
02-09-2010, 03:18 PM
People pay a lot of money to sit behind the bench. (previously mentioned donors who built our beautiful arena)

Cameras need to capture the coaching staff, bench players and the official score keepers.

It is more intimidating for an opposing team to have to look at the Kennel Club vs. not having to look at them.

The students react better to things happening on the bench than non students would, so you want to provide them a good view of the bench.

Putting the students across from the score table and benches insures they are right on the floor. This makes it louder and brings them more into the game.

Finally, someone proposed moving the students to the areas behind the baskets. I think this would be a horrible move. The Kennel Club is a force because it is all together. It is powerful seeing that whole section jumping together at the start of a game. We win because of them, not because of the non student fans. They make the noise, they are the player's peers. Not us. They are the inspiration. Futher, they are paying $45,000 a year to go to school at GU. They deserve good seats.

ID ZAGFAN
02-09-2010, 03:24 PM
People pay a lot of money to sit behind the bench. (previously mentioned donors who built our beautiful arena)

Cameras need to capture the coaching staff, bench players and the official score keepers.

It is more intimidating for an opposing team to have to look at the Kennel Club vs. not having to look at them.

The students react better to things happening on the bench than non students would, so you want to provide them a good view of the bench.

Putting the students across from the score table and benches insures they are right on the floor. This makes it louder and brings them more into the game.

Finally, someone proposed moving the students to the areas behind the baskets. I think this would be a horrible move. The Kennel Club is a force because it is all together. It is powerful seeing that whole section jumping together at the start of a game. We win because of them, not because of the non student fans. They make the noise, they are the player's peers. Not us. They are the inspiration. Futher, they are paying $45,000 a year to go to school at GU. They deserve good seats.

Plus, I don't think the areas behind the baskets have the bleacher type floors that move and make a lot of noise when they jump. They are concrete.

ID ZAGFAN

zag944
02-09-2010, 04:21 PM
In the WCC tourney in Spokane we were behind the east end basket. It wasn't as good of an experience in my opinion. Much harder to get in the opposing teams face. Maybe the crazyness behind a basket will make them miss some fts, but some well placed jabs throughout the entire pregame will break their spirit. muah haha

Ekrub
02-09-2010, 04:39 PM
My problem with the KC is that they aren't original enough. They need to do some homework and come up with better cheers and jeers. The same five chants get old. Real old.

Also, chanting "up by (x) " to horrible schools is like bragging about beating up your 3 year old brother. I'm not suggesting they act classy, I'm just suggesting they act like this was to be expected.

GoZAGsMang
02-09-2010, 04:56 PM
No pressure KC ....its just the most important game of the year

GoZAGsMang

gu03alum
02-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Futher, they are paying $45,000 a year to go to school at GU. They deserve good seats.

Gonzaga actually costs 38,516 a year for tuition, room, board and other expenses according to www.gonzaga.edu (http://www.gonzaga.edu/Admissions/Undergraduate-Admissions/Scholarships/Estimated-Costs.asp)

Gonzaga is also a number 3 best value according to US News and World Report (http://www.gonzaga.edu/About/National-Rankings/U.S.NewsandWorldReport.2010.asp)

I know that wasn't your point, but I wanted to make sure we have the facts straight.

Zagineer
02-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Gonzaga actually costs 38,516 a year for tuition, room, board and other expenses according to www.gonzaga.edu (http://www.gonzaga.edu/Admissions/Undergraduate-Admissions/Scholarships/Estimated-Costs.asp)
Gonzaga is also a number 3 best value according to US News and World Report (http://www.gonzaga.edu/About/National-Rankings/U.S.NewsandWorldReport.2010.asp)
I know that wasn't your point, but I wanted to make sure we have the facts straight.

You forgot Beer and Pizza Money, gu. :D

gu03alum
02-09-2010, 06:19 PM
You forgot Beer and Pizza Money, gu. :D

Yeah, that would probably account for that extra $6,484

Colbyspapa
02-10-2010, 04:32 PM
I rounded, but I'm sure I spent more than the posted total cost per year!!!! Jack and Dan's had to be a couple grand a year. I don't think I was able to swipe my COG card in there.

MedZag
02-10-2010, 05:34 PM
My problem with the KC is that they aren't original enough. They need to do some homework and come up with better cheers and jeers. The same five chants get old. Real old.

Also, chanting "up by (x) " to horrible schools is like bragging about beating up your 3 year old brother. I'm not suggesting they act classy, I'm just suggesting they act like this was to be expected.

There used to be more of this, until the Brokeback incident 4 years ago when the administration came down pretty hard on the KC. They've been pretty gun shy ever since about singling out specific players.

CB4
02-10-2010, 07:24 PM
There used to be more of this, until the Brokeback incident 4 years ago when the administration came down pretty hard on the KC. They've been pretty gun shy ever since about singling out specific players.

That's unfortunate. If there's one thing a student section shouldn't be it's timid.

Ekrub
02-11-2010, 09:00 AM

I don't remember hearing about any Brokeback incident? Thats pretty funny though. Who were they directing it at?

Brokeback might be a little overboard (i guess) but that type of originality needs to come back.

GhostZag
02-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Not sure if this has been posted, but this should get the KC fired up:
Saint Mary's College basketball star Omar Samhan not popular among Gonzaga fans
http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports/ci_14377501?nclick_check=1

"The most hated man in Spookane" - funny...:lmao:

MedZag
02-11-2010, 04:16 PM
I don't remember hearing about any Brokeback incident? Thats pretty funny though. Who were they directing it at?

Brokeback might be a little overboard (i guess) but that type of originality needs to come back.

Someone got their hands on a picture of then-current SMC player Daniel Kickert locking lips with another man (supposedly on a dare). During free throws, a small group of (likely intoxicated) students began to chant "Broke-back Kick-ert *clap-clap* *clap-clap-clap*". The chant died down quickly and never repeated, but the damage was done. It made the ESPN ticker, plenty of articles were written by either side, and the administration tried to save face and essentially put a shock collar on the KC by performing a witch hunt trying to determine who was responsible for the cheer and threatening expulsion against anyone found to be doing such cheers in the future.

KC has stuck to the plain vanilla stuff since, understandably so.

Ekrub
02-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Interesting.... I don't remember hearing about that or seeing that. Well regardless, the KC should spice it up a little? Maybe talk with the AD and talk about what is acceptable and what isnt? Other schools almost always have more original cheers (and Heytvelt sure as heck heard the "Muuuuuushroooooooms" chant at almost every away game.)