PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology 2/8/10

BobZag
02-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Zags up to a 5 seed in Spokane.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

former1dog
02-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Can anyone actually confirm that a 5 seed is a protected seed. For some reason, I thought only the top 4 seeds are "protected".

Thanks.

d2zag
02-08-2010, 11:29 AM
If we beat Saint Mary's, I think we have a good shot at ending up as a four seed. And not just because of that win, but also because Illinois and Oklahoma could somehow turn it around, and end up getting some more quality wins. We'll just have to wait and see on that. I also think it would be HUGE if we get in the West bracket, because we would play in Spokane, then Salt Lake City, well within driving range of the major Zag fan bases.

former1dog
02-08-2010, 11:32 AM
And not just because of that win, but also because Illinois and Oklahoma could somehow turn it around, and end up getting some more quality wins.

I don't know about Oklahoma, but IMO Illinois is a tournament team. If they go .500 the rest of the way, they are in.

Also Wake and Michigan State are "quality" losses, with a plausible excuse for the Wake game.

I hope everyone just forgets about the Duke and USF games. :o

U Zig, I Zag
02-08-2010, 12:01 PM
I don't know about Oklahoma, but IMO Illinois is a tournament team. If they go .500 the rest of the way, they are in.

Also Wake and Michigan State are "quality" losses, with a plausible excuse for the Wake game.

I hope everyone just forgets about the Duke and USF games. :o

What's a USF?

Das Zagger
02-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Pac-10 representin!

The NIT, maybe.

Nah, CBI, likely.

former1dog
02-08-2010, 12:03 PM
What's a USF?

I'm sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake. :D

NovaZag
02-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Can anyone actually confirm that a 5 seed is a protected seed. For some reason, I thought only the top 4 seeds are "protected".

Thanks.

You are correct. A 5 seed is not protected. That doesn't mean we still couldn't wind up in Spokane as a 5 seed, however.

alaskazagnut
02-08-2010, 12:35 PM
If we could get any seed in Spokane that would be huge!! But I really wouldn't want to play Tennessee or Syracuse or even OK St. for that matter. That is a horrible bracket if it wasn't in Spokane.

It would almost seem unfair to have any Northwest team in Spokane but judging from our opponents, it is quite daunting.

zagfan08
02-08-2010, 12:35 PM
In his chat Lunardi said he thinks we get a 3 seed in Spokane if we win out.

FlyZag
02-08-2010, 02:54 PM
I like the first and second round match ups in that bracket. But Syracuse would be a tough out in the sweet sixteen. I think they are the best team in the country at the moment.

former1dog
02-08-2010, 02:59 PM
In his chat Lunardi said he thinks we get a 3 seed in Spokane if we win out.

IMHO, I think the possibility of playing Spokane got axed in San Francisco a little over a week ago, but who knows.

Radbooks
02-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Andy Glockner at SI has us going to Jacksonville as a 6 seed!! I don't know what the heck he's thinking. If we won, we'd play Duke in the second round...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_glockner/02/08/bracket.watch/index.html

VinnyZag
02-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Remember how we felt about playing Davidson in North Carolina? Multiply that by 10 and you'll have how Tennessee would feel about playing GU in Spokane.

TacomaZAG
02-08-2010, 04:18 PM
we will need to be a 4 seed at worst. I just can't see the committee putting us in Spokane as a 5 or lower seed. Maybe if we were a BCS school, but a non-BCS school in their hometown as a 5 seed, no chance.

I hope I'm wrong, let's just win out and get a 4 seed in the Arena. If we somehow don't get put in Spokane, pray for San Jose. The worst possible draw would be on the east coast in a 9:00 AM EST game, regardless of seeding.

Go ZAGS

U Zig, I Zag
02-08-2010, 04:22 PM
You know, let's say we do get the Spokane seeding - I can only imagine the whining that will be heard from the higher ranked teams' boards.

Much like us with Davidson, except we had a legitimate gripe. ;)

webspinnre
02-08-2010, 04:39 PM
If we're a 4 seed or higher we've got a shot at Spokane. If we're a 5, I don't see any way they put us here. That'd give us what is basically a home game against a 4, which would be about as crazy as us going up against Davidson in their backyard. Oh, wait...

105in5
02-08-2010, 04:46 PM
If we're a 4 seed or higher we've got a shot at Spokane. If we're a 5, I don't see any way they put us here. That'd give us what is basically a home game against a 4, which would be about as crazy as us going up against Davidson in their backyard. Oh, wait...

We have a winner. Not sure what Lunardi is thinking here and hopefully someone smarter than me on this board (many candidates) can explain it. My understanding is that the top 4 seeds are "protected." That would mean they literally cannot put us as a 5 in Spokane because that would mean the 4 isn't "protected" anymore.

The only way we stay in Spokey as a 4 or better. This means we better win out (including conference tourney).

NotoriousZ
02-08-2010, 05:28 PM
We have a winner. Not sure what Lunardi is thinking here and hopefully someone smarter than me on this board (many candidates) can explain it. My understanding is that the top 4 seeds are "protected." That would mean they literally cannot put us as a 5 in Spokane because that would mean the 4 isn't "protected" anymore.

The only way we stay in Spokey as a 4 or better. This means we better win out (including conference tourney).

I think a "protected" seed is only protected in the first round. I think a Wisconsin team got to play in there home town (or somewhere really close) as a 5 seed a few years ago. I could be wrong about that, but I'm positive we CAN play in Spokane as a 5...but I'd feel much better about it happening with a 4 (and a s***load better with a 3)!

TokyoZag
02-09-2010, 09:53 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/12900968/projecting-the-field-hokies-fill-resume-hole-as-others-lose-control

Jerry Palm has us a 4 seed in Spokane.

The committee always manages to surprise me, but so far the general consensus from the pundits looks good.

TokyoZag
02-09-2010, 10:04 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/NCAA-tournament-bracket-prediction-020810

One more from the crew at Fox sports. Also a 4 in Spokane...

U Zig, I Zag
02-09-2010, 10:21 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/NCAA-tournament-bracket-prediction-020810

One more from the crew at Fox sports. Also a 4 in Spokane...

Interesting tidbit:
4 Gonzaga 'Zags could do the WCC a favor by losing to Saint Mary's this week.

What? I mean, I suppose it would help the WCC - but hurt GU. If the home/away situation was flipped, that would be the best scenario for the WCC w/o GU lookin' the fool. SMC made a scenario where GU HAS to and IS GOING to win at home against SMC. SMC had their chance down there and blew it.

ZagHouse
02-09-2010, 12:24 PM
I remember the Memphis game last year at the arena--packed, a ton of energy, free t-shirts, a Zag terrible towel, and we got trounced. While it would be a huge advantage to play here, I hope it's not being used as motivation by the coaches to win out--because 1) the players will be disappointed if they finish strong and we're not seeded here, and 2) if we don't play well with our home crowd, then we'll hear all the garbage about us not being legit come March.

I just want to see us play well no matter where we go--not saying it wouldn't be fun to watch them here--but I'm being cautiously optimistic about our chances.