PDA

View Full Version : I apologize

ZagHouse
02-07-2010, 07:31 AM
to Will Foster, for never really believing he'd be able to contribute in a substantial way to help this team win. Kudos to him and the coaching staff for working hard and proving me wrong. What started off as awkward, him having difficulty handling the ball, getting it stolen out of his hands, missing point blank shots, has been transformed this season into a reliable low post presence. I look forward to watching him progress even more as the season continues.

Sorry to Meech to--well played the last few games.

alaskazagnut
02-07-2010, 07:51 AM
to Will Foster, for never really believing he'd be able to contribute in a substantial way to help this team win. Kudos to him and the coaching staff for working hard and proving me wrong. What started off as awkward, him having difficulty handling the ball, getting it stolen out of his hands, missing point blank shots, has been transformed this season into a reliable low post presence. I look forward to watching him progress even more as the season continues.

Sorry to Meech to--well played the last few games.

People tend to use criticism as motivation. So anything we say on this board can be used to help the guys not hurt 'em. Plus, anyone worth their salt would agree that Foster and Meech still have a lot of work to do if they want to take it to the next level.

ZagHouse
02-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Not saying that criticism is unfounded or in some cases deserved, but I was apologizing for thinking he'd never have the skill sets to contribute. I never thought he'd see serious minutes or be able to play the way he has the last couple games. While I realize he needs work, as does Meech, I'm glad both have seemed to have turned a corner.

HOOTER
02-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Foster made a huge leap last night against strong, athletic guys. He put himself in a position to contribute and I think he deserves a pat on the back.

gamagin
02-07-2010, 09:44 AM
something to the effect that he had a cold and was more concerned how the cold might affect him & thus was less nervous playing.

Whatever it was, he has reached a new level that can only get better in terms of being able to contribute.

As has been said, you can't teach 7'-5". But 7'5" can get in the way, and given the ball at the right height and in the right position is an almost guaranteed slam and a very easy two points. every time.

It looks to me like Will gets that, is ready, willing and able to finish the deal.

One of the coaches said on the post-game show that Will has been working with teammates on that very finish we saw vs. Memphis. He earned the trust of his teammates by finishing as he did, so I believe we can now expect alot more attempts at getting him the ball. That's how it works.

Now he needs to finish his f.t.'s at a reasonable percentage and he can become a very effective contributor the rest of the season and into the dance.

Go TEAM Zags !

JohnOGU
02-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Wish they never would have burned that redshirt his freshman and sophomore year...

jim77
02-07-2010, 03:24 PM
something to the effect that he had a cold and was more concerned how the cold might affect him & thus was less nervous playing.

Whatever it was, he has reached a new level that can only get better in terms of being able to contribute.

As has been said, you can't teach 7'-5". But 7'5" can get in the way, and given the ball at the right height and in the right position is an almost guaranteed slam and a very easy two points. every time.

It looks to me like Will gets that, is ready, willing and able to finish the deal.

One of the coaches said on the post-game show that Will has been working with teammates on that very finish we saw vs. Memphis. He earned the trust of his teammates by finishing as he did, so I believe we can now expect alot more attempts at getting him the ball. That's how it works.

Now he needs to finish his f.t.'s at a reasonable percentage and he can become a very effective contributor the rest of the season and into the dance.

Go TEAM Zags !

Nice post.

The emergence of Will's threat inside will change the other team's mindset...and probably tie up another one of their players. I would like to see Will and Rob on the floor at the same time for briefs. I can't imagine how the other team is gonna cover BOTH of those towers. I really applaud the coaching staff/teammates for bringing Will's Talents to the forefront. You could see the demoralizing effect he had on Memphis with Will literally going over the top of their defense...especially given their immense athleticism. The guy CHANGES the Game.

MDABE80
02-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Among other nice things...I noticed WIll has developed "soft hands" . He catches and dunk or gets a handle on a complex pass and DOESN'T put the ball on the floor...he goes right up....

Ezag
02-07-2010, 04:09 PM
There is no need to apologize. You called it like you saw it. Will WAS terrible early on and Meech's play has been less than desirable this season.

However, it seems both have turned the corner especially the past 2 games where both played fantastically.

Give criticism where criticism is due and give credit where credit is due. But there is no need to apologize for your point of view unless you are wildly off-base.

FrahmfortheWin
02-07-2010, 05:12 PM
He earned the trust of his teammates by finishing as he did, so I believe we can now expect alot more attempts at getting him the ball. That's how it works.

Go TEAM Zags !

Dead on. If you look at earlier games there are moments where Foster will create some space and not get the pass tossed into him. Once his teammates believe he can do it, he is going to get more looks.

alaskazagnut
02-07-2010, 05:55 PM
I think you just questioned it. I still question almost everything in life, and with Meech and Foster I definitely pointed out the problems and bad habits, while questioning their minutes.

That is not losing faith, but IMO keeping faith in the coaches to play them when they need to be played.

If you ask any Father, Sister, or Jesuit, you will understand that one sometimes questions their faith. But that is the path to salvation.

Who here didn't question when we gave up huge leads or lost games? It would say you lie if you say you didn't have some doubt.

I see it the opposite from Ezag, I think Meech was terrible and Foster was less than desirable.

seasontixholder
02-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Meech has actually exceeded my expectations for the year by stepping it up lately. Prior to Portland and Memphis, he did just about what could be foreseen from a benchwarming sophomore point. His performance pendulum swings haven't been completely radical, and has produced enough on both sides of the ball to keep his starting spot throughout a great season. Some games, he has been the key and without his additional speed and athleticism the Zags would have flat out lost. I still remember the Wisconsin point shrinking in stature as the game went on.

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2009-2010/gonmb05.html

"Few said point guard Demetri Goodson had perhaps his best outing of the young season and that helped Gonzaga play up tempo.

" 'If you can get stops on defense you can always play up tempo. I think we did a nice job of that. This team is always at its best when it's running. We got a great push from Meech out of the backcourt. He was electric on a couple of those plays. He had us playing fast north-south...' "

JAGzag
02-07-2010, 07:04 PM
I know after a win our posts typically swing upwards in positive threads, and while I like Will as a player, I wouldn't necessarily say yesterday was his breakout game. He did really well, but he really is a situational scorer - if the lob or pass is two feet from the hoop, he'll finish it up but he's never going to create his own shot.

007Zag
02-07-2010, 07:14 PM
I would consider a career high in scoring against a really athletic team on the road a breakout game during a pivotal stretch. Don't know what else you could ask for to qualify as breaking out.

jim77
02-07-2010, 07:29 PM
I know after a win our posts typically swing upwards in positive threads, and while I like Will as a player, I wouldn't necessarily say yesterday was his breakout game. He did really well, but he really is a situational scorer - if the lob or pass is two feet from the hoop, he'll finish it up but he's never going to create his own shot.

At 7' 5" going over the rim is creating you're own shot. Don't forget his drive to the hoop against USF...only a hard foul stopped him or it was gonna be a dunk. The 1st dunk against Memphis off of Matts pass going out of bounds was put down with authority. The guy is getting confidence and can be a huge force for the Zags. The truth is theres really no way to stop Will from going up over the hoop unless a BIG guy is dedicated to physically stopping him. If you're a Zag opponent you pray that the guards quit lobbing it up there cause not many can stop him. The Zags would be foolish to not keep the passes coming to the BIG GUY as his confidence has to be sky high. Stoopping GU's offense just got harder.

HOOTER
02-07-2010, 07:31 PM
He did really well, but he really is a situational scorer - if the lob or pass is two feet from the hoop, he'll finish it up but he's never going to create his own shot.

Sure, he's a role player. Our excitement is based on the fact that he's finally getting comfortable with his role. He's figuring out things like keeping his eye on the ball, keeping the ball up when he gets his hands on it and putting it in the hole when the opportunity presents itself. Sounds simple but it equates to points the opposition just can't defend against. A 7'5" player creates his own shot simply by catching the ball in the paint and throwing it down. If Will figures this out he can be a huge asset down the stretch and in the tourney.

U Zig, I Zag
02-07-2010, 07:51 PM
For Thursday's game I am hoping we can take Will's new found game and get him to go at Samhan and get some fouls on him. Could we develop something that will get Will with the ball and make sure Samhan is on him?

jim77
02-07-2010, 08:11 PM
For Thursday's game I am hoping we can take Will's new found game and get him to go at Samhan and get some fouls on him. Could we develop something that will get Will with the ball and make sure Samhan is on him?

I'd like to see a Meech,Matt,Steven....and Rob and Will in the middle for short spurts. There 3 point guys are covered AND Samhan would have his hands full.....Oh, and I doubt he could stop the lob......Will F can out jump him. We can do this to give EH a breather.