PDA

View Full Version : Bardo

fedwayzag
02-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Almost fell out of my chair laughing when Bardo said about Bouldin "baked some cookie, did his income taxes" right after going behind his back and pulling up for a three. very creative. Fun listening to him and Gannon.

Birddog
02-07-2010, 04:22 AM
Gotta agree, Bardo is really getting better at his profession. He doesn't force things either or sound stilted, trite, etc. Good analyst and funny to boot.

SunDevilGolfZag
02-07-2010, 04:55 AM
I really like that ESPN appears to have essentially assigned Bardo and Gannon to the Zags and they really seem to embrace the team. It's enjoyable as a fan to absorb a professional TV duo like them.

bartruff1
02-07-2010, 06:09 AM
I really like Bobby Knight...not at all clever....but tells you what is going on in the game...and I don't know, unless someone tells me....like a lot of fan's, I can follow the ball but that might be 50% or less of the story...

HOOTER
02-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Almost fell out of my chair laughing when Bardo said about Bouldin "baked some cookie, did his income taxes" right after going behind his back and pulling up for a three. very creative. Fun listening to him and Gannon.

I appreciated that comment as well. Bouldin let the defense bolt for the paint anticipating a drive to the basket and he calmly pulled up for the uncontested three. Smart move and a smart analysis by Bardo.

mdZag23
02-07-2010, 08:02 AM
I know Matt is not going to get much consideration for this award. But in my opinion, and I watch way too much hoops according to my wife, there is no one that means as much to his team who is playing better than he is in the country...

maybe Scottie Reynolds, but

zaguarxj
02-07-2010, 09:06 AM
The announcers immediately recognized the triangle+2 defense that Memphis used in the 2nd half. That team is pretty good about staying on top of what's happening in the game, instead of going off on tangents.

Just A Zag
02-07-2010, 09:26 AM
I know Matt is not going to get much consideration for this award. But in my opinion, and I watch way too much hoops according to my wife, there is no one that means as much to his team who is playing better than he is in the country...

maybe Scottie Reynolds, but

Evan Turner too. Bouldin should at least be mentioned and should be 2nd team all american this year

Birddog
02-07-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Bouldin will not even make POY in the WCC. A lot depends on what happens Thursday, but if Hamsan has a good outing, I think he wins it. His stat line is impressive and last year demonstrated the anti Zag bias that is developing in the WCC voting. It is imperative that Sacre et al deny Hamsan a stat line both to win and deny the award. We need to smother SMC and make a statement.

For the record, I, think BOULDIN should be POY, but my vote doesn't count.

HOOTER
02-07-2010, 11:09 AM
last year demonstrated the anti Zag bias that is developing in the WCC voting.

True. I think folks in the conference are growing tired of showering the Zags with one recognition after another, even though it's clearly deserved. Despite the fact that the conference is showing modest signs of improvement, I think they're quite content with mediocrity and Gonzaga's success just exposes their inadequacies. I'm not sure the Zags are considered as much of an asset by the conference as they once were.

U Zig, I Zag
02-07-2010, 11:25 AM
True. I think folks in the conference are growing tired of showering the Zags with one recognition after another, even though it's clearly deserved. Despite the fact that the conference is showing modest signs of improvement, I think they're quite content with mediocrity and Gonzaga's success just exposes their inadequacies. I'm not sure the Zags are considered as much of an asset by the conference as they once were.

Who votes for the WCC POY? Is it AD's and coaches or media or do we text 'Matt' to 995595??

I was thinking about Matt as POY for the WCC this morning and wondered if he would get it. Pure numbers, Samhan shows up more on the stat sheet but Matt does all the little things (plus is the best player on the best team, which doesn't seem to count for sh#t anymore...).

I guess if you are voting you look at the numbers and decide but if you take the individual accomplishments and play and group that together with the breadth of their career then Matt is your man. I know it is a yearly award, about the current season but if you assume that Matt and Samhan are really the two front runners I think it is safe to compile their worth over their careers especially since they are both graduating.

Sahman has improved, no doubt, and he is definitely the top big man in the conf. but Matt IS the best player on the best team, he has played well against far, far superior talent than Samhan has. Matt is a stand up guy (not a raging d!ck like Samhan), a basketball thinker, a leader and an example of what a good student athlete is.

Matt is the best all around player on the left coast, if not the country. He is one of the best all around players to ever suit up for one of the most storied programs of the past 10 years. He deserves the WCC POY.

full disclosure, I am a total homer and love Matty B's game and what he has done for GU and what he means to the fans, GU as a program and the community in Spokane.

D@mn, I am going to miss Matt next year. :(

MJ777
02-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Who votes for the WCC POY? Is it AD's and coaches or media or do we text 'Matt' to 995595??

I was thinking about Matt as POY for the WCC this morning and wondered if he would get it. Pure numbers, Samhan shows up more on the stat sheet but Matt does all the little things (plus is the best player on the best team, which doesn't seem to count for sh#t anymore...).

I guess if you are voting you look at the numbers and decide but if you take the individual accomplishments and play and group that together with the breadth of their career then Matt is your man. I know it is a yearly award, about the current season but if you assume that Matt and Samhan are really the two front runners I think it is safe to compile their worth over their careers especially since they are both graduating.

Sahman has improved, no doubt, and he is definitely the top big man in the conf. but Matt IS the best player on the best team, he has played well against far, far superior talent than Samhan has. Matt is a stand up guy (not a raging d!ck like Samhan), a basketball thinker, a leader and an example of what a good student athlete is.

Matt is the best all around player on the left coast, if not the country. He is one of the best all around players to ever suit up for one of the most storied programs of the past 10 years. He deserves the WCC POY.

full disclosure, I am a total homer and love Matty B's game and what he has done for GU and what he means to the fans, GU as a program and the community in Spokane.

Great Post!

Puddy
02-07-2010, 11:58 AM
I have a feeling we see Samhan and Bouldin share it this year. Bouldin got ripped last year when big john bryant won it.

Xin Loi 67
02-07-2010, 12:07 PM

+1...VOTE!

zagfan08
02-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Imagine Heister and Ehlo trying to figure out what defense Memphis was in when they went with the triangle and 2.

HOOTER
02-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Imagine Heister and Ehlo trying to figure out what defense Memphis was in when they went with the triangle and 2.

Ehlo may have been able to nail it down. Heister would have just changed the subject to fishing.

Nevtelen
02-07-2010, 03:52 PM

Yes, clearly the reason we have seen all kinds of coach firings and reshufflings in the conference, as well as stepped up TV coverage, more post-season bids, and other improvements is because the WCC wants to be mediocre. Do you really honestly believe that the conference wants GU to fail? Honestly? The fans of other programs, maybe, but the conference? Really? Just because Bryant was POY last season?

As for Bouldin, I also tend to think he's worthy of POY in the conference, but if Samhan has a legit shot at it as he's playing absolutely fantastically this season, just as Bryant was last season. Bryant had more double-doubles than Griffin last season and I think more 20-20 games, too. The conference felt the need to honor that. He did have a fantastic season. Why do people here feel like the world is coming to an end and the powers of darkness are conspiring against us if a Zag doesn't win POY? Can't people accept that there are actually good players on other teams besides the Zags?

For the record, I do think Bouldin should get it. I think he's one of the best all-around players, if not the best player, on the W coast. But if he doesn't win, you know what, he's still done what he's done for the team, there are other great players out there, like Samhan, and it's not all that big of a deal.

Oh, and IIRC I'm pretty sure the coaches vote on the awards.

sittingon50
02-07-2010, 04:16 PM
:clap:

HOOTER
02-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Yes, clearly the reason we have seen all kinds of coach firings and reshufflings in the conference, as well as stepped up TV coverage, more post-season bids, and other improvements is because the WCC wants to be mediocre. Do you really honestly believe that the conference wants GU to fail? Honestly? The fans of other programs, maybe, but the conference? Really? Just because Bryant was POY last season?

I do feel there is a growing frustration (fueled by jealousy probably) in the conference toward the Zags. They've got to be getting tired of the Zags getting all the praise and recognition. It's just human nature. I don't believe they want the Zags to fail, I just think they're tired of existing in Gonzaga's shadow and want a little success of their own. Who can blame them? Let's be honest, when folks around the country think about the WCC only one team comes to mind. Beyond the Zags the teams in the conference have been experiencing a carousel of moderate success but nothing substantial and I really do believe this has created some resentment toward the Zags which goes beyond just the fans. The conditions are ripe for the conference to succeed. The stuff you mentioned, a national power bringing the conference constant recognition, along with the fact that 6 of the 8 conference teams are in Cali which is a mecca for college basketball recruiting, yet overall the conference is still mediocre aside from the Zags. How could this not be frustrating?

Kiddwell
02-07-2010, 05:26 PM
I have a feeling we see Samhan and Bouldin share it this year. Bouldin got ripped last year when big john bryant won it.

Agree. Bouldin & Samhan likely share POY this year, but Matty's name deserves/gets top billing. :)

:]

CB4
02-07-2010, 05:32 PM
I don't agree with shared awards. One person gets it. Let's see how the rest of the year goes but up until this point it goes to Bouldin, hands down.

krozman
02-07-2010, 06:50 PM
I do feel there is a growing frustration (fueled by jealousy probably) in the conference toward the Zags.

Ya, but it's not like WINNING solves that for you. I remember San Diego beating UConn not so long ago, and they were the upset of the day. Every team gets opportunities. Not our job to feel sorry for them. Heck, we support them.

titopoet
02-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Whichever team wins on Thursday, their leader should get it. (That will be Matt) If the it were the player with the best stats, yes then Omar, but it is the player of the year. If it POY about playing and making a difference in winning and losing, making critical plays in big games then Sahman is not even in the conversation. Matt and Elias have it on him. But as Bryant proved last year numbers can blind.

About Bryant's numbers, yes he had more double doubles than Griffin, but he certainly was not as valuable Griffin. He was not as valuable as Josh or Matt for that matter. Sometimes numbers blind. Sure he is going to average a double double if all SCU does is feed him the ball, run plays for him. It did not work in terms of Ws.

zag944
02-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Whichever team wins on Thursday, their leader should get it.

kind of a scary thought, but if St. Marys does win, Bouldin probably wouldnt even have the "best player on the best team regardless of stats" argument, since St. Marys would be in excellent position to win the conference.