PDA

View Full Version : Possible Conference Re-Alignment

Angelo Roncalli
02-05-2010, 09:40 AM
There's some talk of Pitt from the Big East to the Big 10 and Memphis moving from CUSA to the Big East to fill the void. If so, it would appear to be a great
arrangement for Memphis.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/30/sports/30bigten.html

JPtheBeasta
02-05-2010, 10:57 AM
There's some talk of Pitt from the Big East to the Big 10 and Memphis moving from CUSA to the Big East to fill the void. If so, it would appear to be a great
arrangement for Memphis.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/30/sports/30bigten.html

What's the history with the Pac-10 with stuff like that? I have day dreams about GU playing UCLA, UA and UW every year...

cbbfanatic
02-05-2010, 11:10 AM
The pac ten loves tradition, balance and symmetry, don't see them picking up another school anytime soon, especially one without the full complement of athletic programs. MAYBE a 2 utah type schools down the road to give them their conference title game in football... Maybe

As for the big ten, I've heard they are also very interested in mizzou (who is actually campaigning for the spot) and rutgers. As a big east fan, I'd love to see them take rutgers

titopoet
02-05-2010, 11:37 AM
What's the history with the Pac-10 with stuff like that? I have day dreams about GU playing UCLA, UA and UW every year...

If the Pac-10 decides to expand, and that is is a very big IF, then they would look to the two Utah teams, BYU and Utah. Why? Football. GU does not have football, and the Pac-10 would want a football power.

zagfan08
02-05-2010, 12:12 PM
What if Seattle U took our spot in the WCC? We then move to the Mountain West, which currently has 9 teams. I know our lack of a football program is a problem when it comes to upgrading conferences, but in theory this could work.

former1dog
02-05-2010, 12:22 PM
OH for the love of Pete, the WCC is the perfect conference for Gonzaga. I wish we didn't have to have this same conversation every 2 months around here.

marczagfan
02-05-2010, 12:28 PM
OH for the love of Pete, the WCC is the perfect conference for Gonzaga. I wish we didn't have to have this same conversation every 2 months around here.

As long as Gonzaga keeps winning it will always be in the discussion, but right now, I agree, the WCC is the perfect fit as long as we keep up with our OOC schedule.

If we were to make any move it would be to the Mtn West and we would be similar to that of ND in the big east, where they are independent f.ball and we just wouldn't have a f.ball program....but I think the Mtn. West is looking for a team like Boise St. right now and they aren't focused on the zags unless it is a multi-school/league shift. Football is the money maker for these schools and that is why Gonzaga will most likely never move conferences...at least not anytime soon.

former1dog
02-05-2010, 12:39 PM
As long as Gonzaga keeps winning it will always be in the discussion, but right now, I agree, the WCC is the perfect fit as long as we keep up with our OOC schedule.

If we were to make any move it would be to the Mtn West and we would be similar to that of ND in the big east, where they are independent f.ball and we just wouldn't have a f.ball program....but I think the Mtn. West is looking for a team like Boise St. right now and they aren't focused on the zags unless it is a multi-school/league shift. Football is the money maker for these schools and that is why Gonzaga will most likely never move conferences...at least not anytime soon.

And, considering the WCC's tv contract with ESPN, we'd all be pretty pissed about the moved to the MTN WEST, IMHO. Bye bye America's team and the relative recruiting advantage we get from frequent appearances on national TV.

krozman
02-05-2010, 12:42 PM
neither here nor there, but 10 bucks says that if we joined a power conference, we wouldn't lessen our out of conference schedule one bit. SoS of 1 for years to come.

Zagdawg
02-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Question that needs to be asked:
If we went to the Pac would romar take the dub to the Big Sky Conf. in search of national exposure?

sittingon50
02-05-2010, 01:07 PM
I think his idea of exposure was that little video of theirs that was posted within the last few days.

kitzbuel
02-05-2010, 01:15 PM
The pac ten loves tradition, balance and symmetry, don't see them picking up another school anytime soon, especially one without the full complement of athletic programs. MAYBE a 2 utah type schools down the road to give them their conference title game in football... Maybe

As for the big ten, I've heard they are also very interested in mizzou (who is actually campaigning for the spot) and rutgers. As a big east fan, I'd love to see them take rutgers

FWIW, GU played PAC-10 baseball until 1996.

ZagInTexas
02-05-2010, 01:23 PM

+ 1 Agreed. This topic is a dead horse. The WCC is the perfect fit for GU from a University standpoint and from all of the other athletics standpoint.

zagfan08
02-05-2010, 02:42 PM
I agree the WCC fits Gonzaga very well in almost every area, but the reality is it hurts our basketball program, which is the signature of the school at this point. I'm convinced we aren't going anywhere, but with Seattle U looking for a conference there is the chance to upgrade into a league where our RPI doesn't slide from January on. Also we couldn't show up and still win, as we've been able to do many times in this league.

And I could be wrong but I believe the WCC's deal with ESPN expires after next year. Realistically, the deal has everything to do with Gonzaga and little to do with the league. Put us in the Mountain West, and ESPN would likely come calling. That'd be a very good league.

webspinnre
02-05-2010, 04:01 PM
One other reason the WCC is perfect is the type of schools we play. Every school except ours is a small private school, and all but Pepperdine are Catholic. Rather than running to another league for 1 single sports program, lets stick it out, and keep rooting for the conference as a whole to keep improving. The quality of play in conference has clearly improved in the last several years - here's hoping that there's more to come. Mayhaps we could end up being more like the A-10, which currently has 6 RPI top 100 teams (compared to our 3), and 7 of the remaining 8 between 100 and 200 (compared to our 1). They're currently 6th overall in conference RPI, and their schools have a more similar profile to ours than say the Mountain West.

NotoriousZ
02-05-2010, 06:34 PM
:horse:

JPtheBeasta
02-05-2010, 10:40 PM
I don't know how exactly this is a "dead horse" issue. Apparently it has been talked about too much in the past for the likes of some... Notre Dame has a basketball team in the Big East and is an independent in football. As stated earlier, GU played Pac-10 baseball. Realignment does happen. There is precident here. Is there that big of a problem with personally wanting to see what GU would do day-in and day-out in a (traditionally) stronger conference?

I also don't agree that the WCC is a "perfect" conference for GU basketball. Anyone else here wonder if WCC play softens the team before heading into March? We are battle tested in the preseason then play a weaker schedule (against teams with floppers in the post, not a lot of bench depth, and less athletic players) than a lot of teams the second half of the season.

webspinnre
02-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Men's basketball is only a single sport in a wide slate of sports. And Gonzaga basketball is no ND football. WCC is where we belong.

abeanzag
02-06-2010, 08:45 AM
I prescribe to the theory that it is always best to get into the most prestigious conference. Here is my logic.

I am 36. God willing, I will be following Gonzaga basketball for another 50 years. Gonzaga has been on an unprecedented run, but like anything else, Gonzaga will eventually hit hard times. And when they do, will it be possible to become big time again. This idea that the WCC will pull itself up is wishful thinking.

The Mountain West conference is a solid conference that regularly gets multiple bids. It has a passionate and loyal fan base.

Academically, culturally, philosophically, Gonzaga is well suited for the WCC. However, basketball (and this is why we are congregating on this website) is not well suited for WCC.

Too bad there is no Big East of the West.

Club Prez
02-06-2010, 11:42 AM
One other reason the WCC is perfect is the type of schools we play. Every school except ours is a small private school, and all but Pepperdine are Catholic. Rather than running to another league for 1 single sports program, lets stick it out, and keep rooting for the conference as a whole to keep improving. The quality of play in conference has clearly improved in the last several years - here's hoping that there's more to come. Mayhaps we could end up being more like the A-10, which currently has 6 RPI top 100 teams (compared to our 3), and 7 of the remaining 8 between 100 and 200 (compared to our 1). They're currently 6th overall in conference RPI, and their schools have a more similar profile to ours than say the Mountain West.

Agree 100%.

Plus some fans forget or don't know that many WCC teams have a solid basketball history. USF has won two national titles, Santa Clara has had a many players go on to the NBA, Pepperdine had a good basketball run a decade or so ago.

Plus many WCC teams, both men's and womens's, have excelled at the national level in other sports, such as soccer.

The WCC has has the second longest continuous stretch of having the same schools (after the Ivy League), and I see no reason to change what this.

TexasZagFan
02-06-2010, 02:38 PM
I don't know how exactly this is a "dead horse" issue. Apparently it has been talked about too much in the past for the likes of some... Notre Dame has a basketball team in the Big East and is an independent in football. As stated earlier, GU played Pac-10 baseball. Realignment does happen. There is precident here. Is there that big of a problem with personally wanting to see what GU would do day-in and day-out in a (traditionally) stronger conference?

I also don't agree that the WCC is a "perfect" conference for GU basketball. Anyone else here wonder if WCC play softens the team before heading into March? We are battle tested in the preseason then play a weaker schedule (against teams with floppers in the post, not a lot of bench depth, and less athletic players) than a lot of teams the second half of the season.

This entire discussion will be moot if the NCAA tournament expands to 96 teams, as far as Gonzaga is concerned. The necessity for our outrageous OOC schedule will disappear, and I think that's a bad thing for the WCC. By the time February rolls around, our guys have played at least a dozen tough games with 1000s of travel miles to boot. They may be banged up a bit physically, but it's the mental aspect of the game that was suffering in the Santa Clara and USF games.

We're certainly a shoo-in under a 96 team format, so Coach Few can rotate more players into games than he has this year.

I vote for leaving the WCC alone. There's been improvement over the past few years, but the Zags keep raising the bar.