PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Memphis Game prediction thread

Reborn
02-05-2010, 08:41 AM
I wanted to get this thread up early. It's a HUGE game and one that many of us bloggers will want to start posting on.

Gonzaga 83
Memphis 71

Personally I don't think that Memphis is as good as Illinois. I think some fans will be surprised by the dominance of the Zags over the Tigers. I think Gonzaga has too many weapons, and a good bench that is getting stronger. And, as it has been mentioned, their frontcourt is limited if they get into foul trouble. I say, run, run, run and push the ball up the way we did last night. Zags play best at a fast pace. Memphis will like that pace too, but I think our bench is better. They will be shocked by the speed and quickness of Harris. He, like Matt and Steven like big games. They will be surprised by the rebounding ability of Manny Arop, the slickness of Olynyk, the 3 pt accuracy of Bol Kong, the height of Will Foster, and the passing ability of Grant Gibbs. Our bench is gaining confidence with every passing game.

LongIslandZagFan
02-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Tigers 77
Zags 72

Jedster
02-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Gonzaga 73
Memphis 63

GU will make a concerted effort to get the ball inside and put pressure on the depth of the Memphis front court. The patience pays off as they get in foul trouble and we can dominate inside. We will continue our focus on defense and make it tough for Memphis to get any consistent offense going.

Go Zags!

zagitup
02-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Gonzaga 81
Memphis 54

After Johnny G's uncanny prediction of the UP score, I'm a believer....:D

primal23
02-05-2010, 10:17 AM
GU 75
Memphis 79

Just cant seem to pick a win against Memphis until proven wrong :(

Once and Future Zag
02-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Looking at the metrics, Memphis is pretty comparable overall to St Mary's weaker on offense, but better defensively. They also both have middle-of-the pack overall SOS.

They're even more similar to us this year (based on KenPom's numbers)

Memphis (OFF/DEF rank) 32/77
Gonzaga (OFF/DEF rank) 35/83

Where I think we have an edge is that we have played (and beaten) an overall better class of teams - our best day so far is better than their best day (so far), in other words.

We've got 8 wins against top-100 teams, Memphis has 4.

So...

GU 71, Memphis 70

Brooks Hansen
02-05-2010, 11:27 AM
You guys should stop by our prediction thread (http://messageboard.memphisroar.com/showthread.php?t=6031). Much respect to the Zags and, gotta say, you guys looked great last night. Should be a fun game in a big environment.

I said 70-70.

anothertigerfan
02-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Gonzaga 62
Memphis 68 :D

Should be a great game! Really have been looking forward to this for awhile. This is a must win for Memphis to be in contention for an at-large bid, assuming we don't win our conference tournament. I've seen you guys play a few times this year and there is no mistaking that your Gonzaga team has loads of talent! Tomorrow I'll be rooting extremely hard for my home team but afterward I wish you guys the best of luck for the rest of the season and in the NCAA tourney.

NovaZag
02-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Zags 65-63

kitzbuel
02-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Zags by 5.

76-71

bartruff1
02-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Tigers 77
Zags 72 That is what my brain is saying....Gonzaga is like the girl in the red dress...when she is good...she is very very good...but when she is bad...well...she is very very bad..... well bad girls are kinda fun but bad basketball games are painful to watch.... I haven't bet this year, cuz they are so inconsistant...so...I am not putting any skin in the game even to the extent of predicting a score... I am going to enjoy the game for what it is and just hope they can win....I don't think this game is a must win...the season has already been a success for me....

former1dog
02-05-2010, 12:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQF9UkUYsZs&feature=related

75Zag
02-05-2010, 01:22 PM
My prediction for the Memphis game is that I will be attending the Northwest Flower and Garden Show at the Convention Center in Seattle tomorrow at the request (ok, mandatory decree) of the lovely Mrs. '75. While you are watching GU live and die against the Memphis big guards, I will be savoring the lovely rock gardens, the hillside streams, the quaint vegetable gardens, the hostas, the clematis, the ivy, and the weed-wackers. Oh the joy. The good news is that they do have portable bars set up at various strategic points at the Garden Show. The bad news is that I don't think they have TV.

A couple more sacrifices like this and I expect to be nominated for sainthood, or at least Lowe's Home Center husband of the decade.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Zagatak
02-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Zags 76
Tigers 68

Bouldin won't want to lose this one. He'll make sure we win.

adoptedzag
02-05-2010, 02:38 PM
You guys should stop by our prediction thread (http://messageboard.memphisroar.com/showthread.php?t=6031). Much respect to the Zags and, gotta say, you guys looked great last night. Should be a fun game in a big environment.

I said 70-70.

ROFLMAO! That's a great thread!:lmao:

I love your fanbase.

titopoet
02-05-2010, 03:20 PM
The Zags jump out to an early lead of 17 points. Coach Pastner then reveals his secrete plan. Hack a Zag. It works as Memphis pulls within one by halftime as the Zags shot 31-64 FT in the first half. The Zags agian jump out to the lead in the second half and agian Coach Pastner brings out the Hack a Zag. It almost works as the Tgers pull even with 3 minutes left, but having fouled out all but four players, the zags close out with the last 13 points.
Sacres leads the zags in scoring with 27 points (27-61 Ft) followed by Meech with 23 (23-51 FT) The zags finish 61- 117 FT. It is the longest regualtion game in NCAA history.

Kidding

GU 83
Mem 77

dim4sum
02-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Pastner's "secrete" plan calls for his players to spit incessantly, despite warnings from the refs. Ball boys rush frantically to mop the gook up.
Disgusting, very disgusting but the spitting goes on and on. Finally a forfeit is called and the Zags win by a forfeit, 2-0,
"I wanted to keep it close," Pastner said. "We didn't have a chance to win anyway."
Impressed by his intelligence and cunning, the athletic director at Memphis,
renews Pastner's contract for an unprecedented 20 years.

ZagsGoZags
02-06-2010, 02:32 AM
GU 72
memphis 63

77Zag
02-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Zags win, Zags win ---

88-80

Timeout!
02-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Must admit, I haven't had the best feeling about this game all week.

Memphis is still Memphis. They are just as athletic as they've been in years past. In addition, they pride themselves on their defense along the perimeter and play tough, hard-nosed defense at every position. Pressure defense is the antagonist of GU( see Duke & Santa Clara gameplan X 10).

The Tigers will play just as spirited as Santa Clara and Duke on defense, yet Memphis features better athletes and more depth. While Memphis has certainly had struggles in the frontcourt(no Joey Dorsey or Shawne Williams) this season and somewhat inconsistent shooting, they're still a top-tier team comprised of Top-100 prospects whom feature athleticism and talent to beat any team in the country, as evidenced by their close loss to Kansas and five Top-100 wins. If anything, they are vastly underrated this year, imo. Besides the aberration vs SMU, their only losses are Syracuse & close one to UMass. Also, they looked outstanding vs UAB the other night and UAB has absolutely destroyed good teams this year. Conference USA > WCC this year.

If you consider Memphis' desperation to notch a signature win, a sold-out, frenzied FedEx Forum, and Bouldin tweeting from downtown Memphis at 1am last night, I'm sensing a blowout by the Tigers:

Memphis - 77
Gonzaga - 62

If we keep this game within 10 on the road, I'll be grateful for a respectable showing. Memphis is the most 'talented' team we've faced this season, and the only exception being Duke. A poster mentioned Illinois being a better than Memphis and I absolutely disagree. Eliott Williams might be the best guard we face the entire year, like Keion Bell with more discipline.

We better be ready or it could get ugly...

gamagin
02-06-2010, 10:21 AM
<< If you consider Memphis' desperation to notch a signature win, a sold-out, frenzied FedEx Forum, and Bouldin tweeting from downtown Memphis at 1am last night, I'm sensing a blowout by the Tigers: >>

1a in memphis is what, 11 p.m. our time ? your message implies something, imo, that does not exist.

WE play our game, we win. We break down, we lose.

After portland, I say we play our game. We'll see.

Go TEAM Zags !

Zagpower
02-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Both teams come out chippy for warmups as each team needs this win on their resume.

To antagonize the Zags, Pastner sends out 6-2 Willie Kemp for the opening jump. Kemp wins easily but accidentally undercuts Sacre who falls on Kemp.

Both teams push and shove and the benches are up. Out of nowhere, Calipari comes running out of the stands instinctively protecting "his' guys. Unfortunately for Cal, he is still wearing his Kentucky gear and the Memphis fans start pelting him with Kitty Litter.

Technical Foul, Foster makes 1 out of 2 and Zags win 1-0.

Timeout!
02-06-2010, 10:30 AM
1a in memphis is what, 11 p.m. our time ? your message implies something, imo, that does not exist.

I'm not implying anything other than the fact we could potentially be short on sleep after touring the town late last night. Such is life on the ROAD, I suppose...

gamagin
02-06-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm not implying anything other than the fact we could potentially be short on sleep after touring the town late last night. Such is life on the ROAD, I suppose...

implying, you are stating what you consider to be a fact: "we could potentially be short on sleep after touring the town late. . ."

I doubt it. I sure hope not.

Go TEAM Zags !

Timeout!
02-06-2010, 10:54 AM
implying, you are stating what you consider to be a fact: "we could potentially be short on sleep after touring the town late. . ."

I doubt it. I sure hope not.

Go TEAM Zags !

Sleep or no sleep, they are playing an athletic, tough, and talented team just 42 hours after playing a conference rival and flying cross-country to do it. Today will be a tall task no matter their sleeping habits and hope they are ready to face the pressure Memphis will be bringing on defense. Not sure if its been mentioned, yet the Tigers are quietly ranked in the Top-40 in offense and defense efficiency in the Country. They just spanked a Top-20 RPI team in UAB and looked good doing it. Their guards are undoubtedly going to give us fits all game longs. Plus, players like Witherspoon, Williams, and Mack are very familiar with our player and all have had big games against us in the past...

Should be interesting. They'll need their best effort (Wisconsin & Portland X2) to match Memphis' defensive intensity and ability to attack the rim better than any team we've played, including MSU & Duke. If you haven't watched them this season, they will surprise you.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Our bench is gaining confidence with every passing game.

with every passing game indeed; love the way guys are stepping up: Arop, Gibbs, Olynyk, Kong and Foster. If Steven Gray has a big game, Zags defeat Memphis today. Keep playing with confidence Demetri; Sacre......let your personality dominate the game baby!!

Tigers are dangerous....a must-win game for them to have any shot at NCAA's without winning their conference tournament. Memphis will be FIRED UP....great challenge for Gonzaga. I'd love to see Sacre have a dominant game.

Go Zags!!!

Nevtelen
02-06-2010, 11:33 AM
I think it depends on TOs and rebounds. If GU lets the Tigers take them out of their game by causing TOs (a la that rough stretch vs Illinois), this will get to blow-out proportions quickly. If GU takes care of the ball well, then we will be positioned well. We haven't played a team this talented in a while and have looked bad recently vs lesser competition, but you have to believe that the intensity will be there today. I just hope the execution is. The Zags might have forgotten what it's like to execute against this caliber of athelete by now.

I predict that things start out poorly - the Zags look lost, let Memphis get them in foul trouble inside with dribble drives, and can't seem to string more than a couple of passes together. They settle down, but are behind by 12 or so at the half.

In the second half, the Kardiak Kids we all know and love mount a come-back. I don't know if it'll be enough or not - this one might come down to FTs and that scares me. A lot. Anyway, I think whoever wins, the game is within a possession in the final minute and the score is in the high 70s.

MJ777
02-06-2010, 11:53 AM
...............If you consider Memphis' desperation to notch a signature win, a sold-out, frenzied FedEx Forum, and Bouldin tweeting from downtown Memphis at 1am last night, I'm sensing a blowout by the Tigers:

Memphis - 77
Gonzaga - 62

If we keep this game within 10 on the road, I'll be grateful for a respectable showing. Memphis is the most 'talented' team we've faced this season, and the only exception being Duke. A poster mentioned Illinois being a better than Memphis and I absolutely disagree. Eliott Williams might be the best guard we face the entire year, like Keion Bell with more discipline.

We better be ready or it could get ugly...

DOOMED! Memphis 100 Zags 40

alldaye
02-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Gonzaga 69 60

Chi-townTiger
02-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Good luck today Zags. Go easy on us. I don't feel real confident about our chances but I'm hoping for a good competitive game. Good luck the rest of the way too. I'm a big GU fan. Just not today. :)

LynetteG
02-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Gonzaga 69 60

wow, super close! I think you were the winner!

Reborn
02-06-2010, 08:33 PM
wow, super close! I think you were the winner!

two bloggers had the Zags by 8. Great job guys. I had 'm by 12 and then Gray goes and misses those two FT's. Come on Gray. 1-4 from the line? Not good.