PDA

View Full Version : Manny Manny MAN

DixieZag
02-05-2010, 07:42 AM
I am really enjoying watching Manny get his confidence going and finding his comfort zone on this team. I have watched Manny with interest from the beginning of the season b/c he put up such huge numbers for the international team in New Zealand.

He has this incredible way of getting his finger tips on a rebound with many other hands around the ball and tipping it in a direction that gives him the advantage in bringing it down or right back up and in. It is wonderful to watch and almost uncanny how he does it.

Now, he seems to have more of a green light and the confidence to shoot and I always new there was a pure scorer in there. But not needed this year and he gets it. He is going to really blossom, and I dearly hope that he makes the big frosh/soph jump next year, b/c we will really miss Matt.

LongIslandZagFan
02-05-2010, 07:44 AM
He was a wild man on the boards... I LOVED it last night.

GUZagDenver
02-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Dude is killing it right now. We need a guy with instant energy off the bench, and he has really started to pick it up on the offensive side of the ball. A great example of a guy who stayed positive, and when he got a chance, seized the opportunity. Few has rewarded this with some more PT, as it is well deserved.

bballbeachbum
02-05-2010, 08:19 AM
when Manny rebounds, he reminds me of Larry Smith; just ferocious tenacity and desire, long arms. remember Mr Mean? and Manny's already got plenty more O to his game than Mr Mean ever did. great game last night

realtydog
02-05-2010, 08:21 AM
has the "knack" to always be around the ball---love it----who have we had in the last ten years like that????

ZagMan in Philly
02-05-2010, 08:21 AM
I agree with you Dixiezag. Manny has so much potential, and always hustle when he is in the game. It is fun watching him play. He is our energizer bunny. Give Manny more time, plz coach Few.

U Zig, I Zag
02-05-2010, 08:24 AM
I was about 30 feet away from our end on the first half of the game. Manny has the best nose for the ball out of any of our players. He made lots of people look like they were moving in slow-mo. His handles and energy are a lot more apparent in person - I knew he could board but seeing it on TV puts a distance between you and the intensity on the floor (obviously).

He was a man among boys a number of times last night.

zzzjag
02-05-2010, 08:29 AM
If you have ever heard the expression "he really has a nose for the ball"...it has never applied to another Zag like Manny. He just seems to come from outside of the TV screen on plays where you don't see him, and end up with a board or block. The guy has that special something that you just can't coach or teach. It has been exciting watching him blend in and spark this team.

DADoZAG
02-05-2010, 08:49 AM
The guy has that special something that you just can't coach or teach.

I agree with everything stated in this thread but this. There has been a change in Steven's game over the past few weeks, he's learning from Manny (or staff) that the first move is not straight at the basket on rebounds.

Watch him. The first move is lateral, or a spin move.

It can be taught, it is being taught, imo, along with foot work on D. Have you noticed several of the ZAGS are now being able to stay in front of their man? Keeping their feet under their center allows the appearance of improved quickness.

Yes, alot comes from "heart" or "thoughness". The ZAGS have that. All of them. The rest is simply mechanics (and focus), and mechanics can always be taught. Of course, it pays to have great focused athletes to teach those mechanics.

The details, oh the details, and having to coach youngun's with an inverted schedule. Few and staff are marvelous, or maybe I just like to think they are.

Enjoying the journey am I...

Go ZAGS!

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Like all the great ones, Manny's got swag. I like that.

CDC84
02-05-2010, 09:36 AM
I ask again....has there ever been a time this season when Manny has gotten extended minutes where he hasn't been great?

DixieZag
02-05-2010, 09:53 AM
No. And I could go on an extended rant here, but will simply allow the joy of the moment to be cherished. I also hope that he gets rewarded tomorrow and causes havoc among Memphis' diminished front line.

I also hope he stroke's another three, just to give us another little reminder of what he will be counted on to do in the future.

gamagin
02-05-2010, 10:00 AM
And deserves all the adulation this thread provides, imo.

My hope is he will have similar success against Memphis. We'll see.

Go TEAM Zags !

thespywhozaggedme
02-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Like all the great ones, Manny's got swag. I like that.

I think you mean swagger, since swag means garlands or wreath, which most of us have during Christmas time. ;)

hondo
02-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Numero uno is number 1 in my book.

ZagNative
02-05-2010, 11:30 AM
I think you mean swagger, since swag means garlands or wreath, which most of us have during Christmas time. ;)Unless, of course, one is under fifty, in which case "swag" is defined in the urban dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=swag) (ungrammatically, of course - ouch!) as

appearance, style, or the way he or she presents them selves.

Promotional merchandise for a band, record label, or other entity in the music business, usually distributed at concerts.

sittingon50
02-05-2010, 11:38 AM
I kinda' remember................

sonuvazag
02-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Promotional merchandise for a band, record label, or other entity in the music business, usually distributed at concerts.
[/LIST]
Good to know. I always called that stuff schwag.

maynard g krebs
02-05-2010, 12:50 PM
The Zags will need this kind of performance from Manny to be a factor in the tournament. And he has delivered it every time he has gotten the opportunity, as CDC said.

A few games ago, he got a couple quick fouls, which will happen when you crash the O boards that hard, and rode the pine the rest of the night. I hope the staff starts giving him a longer leash.

IMO Manny is clearly the best player outside the big 3 on this team right now, and this kind of game will be needed from him to compete against the elite in March.

Last night he ignited this team. Tie game when he went in. After that, not so much.

MedZag
02-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Mannysaurus Rex... I think he should keep the shaved star in his head, it's apparently good mojo.

http://slimdaddybob.fileave.com/mannysaurus.jpg

thespywhozaggedme
02-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Unless, of course, one is under fifty, in which case "swag" is defined in the urban dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=swag) (ungrammatically, of course - ouch!) as

What no link from the gibberish dictionary or the nonsensical thesaurus? Swag is a fictitious, absurd fake abbreviation and makes as much sense as discussing a players confi, or if player x is more arrog than player y.

lothar98zag
02-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Unless, of course, one is under fifty, in which case "swag" is defined in the urban dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=swag) (ungrammatically, of course - ouch!) as

Stuff
We
All
Get

?

Bocco
02-05-2010, 08:53 PM
I ask again....has there ever been a time this season when Manny has gotten extended minutes where he hasn't been great?

You're correct there has not been a time he hasn't got extended minutes where he hasn't been great. On the other time there have been times when he has come in, not been great and has not gotten extended minutes. It appears with Manny (and the bench in general) there is an expectation from Few for them to come in and give some life to the team. When that happens with Manny, GG, Bol, Kelly they get extended minutes, when it does not they do not. Last night when he came in Manny delivered, so did Grant and Kelly. If the bench player can bring it consistently when them come into the game, we will see more games like last night's.