PDA

View Full Version : We could have won by 40

EngineerZag
02-05-2010, 06:47 AM
11-22 Ft

:D

seasontixholder
02-05-2010, 07:40 AM
I wouldn't let this attention to free throws become an obsession. Dwelling on it has the potential to become counterproductive, as a team's focus/tension becomes contagious instead of curative. Bad free-throw shooting only cost about 4 points last night, if standard %s are applied.

A much important factor is team energy, which translates into stops, rebounds, turnovers, and other activities that lead to higher percentage buckets. Those 4 points will get lost in the shuffle.

LongIslandZagFan
02-05-2010, 07:43 AM
I'd say that being bad at the line will kill you in the tourney, but Memphis was crappier at the line a couple years ago than the Zags are this year... oh and they made the Championship game... Just plain brutal to watch though.

GU32
02-05-2010, 07:47 AM
I wouldn't let this attention to free throws become an obsession. Dwelling on it has the potential to become counterproductive, as a team's focus/tension becomes contagious instead of curative. Bad free-throw shooting only cost about 4 points last night, if standard %s are applied.

A much important factor is team energy, which translates into stops, rebounds, turnovers, and other activities that lead to higher percentage buckets. Those 4 points will get lost in the shuffle.

Agree 100% :)

EngineerZag
02-05-2010, 08:04 AM
I meant it to be kind of tongue-in-cheek since there's been so much complaining on the board after a win lately (and I wasn't seeing much last night). Hence the big smiley at the bottom. :)

Birddog
02-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Well, they did make them as the game wound down in what could have been crunch time.

SWZag
02-05-2010, 09:25 AM

I respectfully disagree. Points left on the board are never lost in the shuffle. If we lost by 1 last night, I don't think anyone would say they just got lost in the shuffle.

seasontixholder
02-05-2010, 10:05 AM
There are many variables in a successful bb game. Some are more important than others. It is important not to cramp the more important ones worrying about the tinier details. The last two games have been a good lesson: free throws - like refereeing - enter into the equation noticeably ONLY when the rest of your game goes to hell.

kitzbuel
02-05-2010, 10:08 AM
One alternative to poor FT shooting is to just outscore your opponent so badly that FTs don't impact the game.

CDC84
02-05-2010, 10:15 AM
One alternative to poor FT shooting is to just outscore your opponent so badly that FTs don't impact the game.

Sounds to me that this is what the Zags should be focusing on. This team is a poor foul shooting team, and it's just not ever going to get better this season. It's something that has to be accepted. Every team has weaknesses. In fact, the more the Zags worry about being a poor foul shooting team, the worse it's going to get. It's better to focus on things you can change that happen within the flow of a game, like the defensive intensity we saw last night from every Zag who was on the floor.

DADoZAG
02-05-2010, 10:26 AM
I still think that the charity stripe will become more friendly as the other pieces fall into place, except for Sacre, who needs to change his initial move in his form, far too much rocking in his upper body (a point brought to my attention by another poster a few weeks ago who was right on).

Go ZAGS!

Zag 77
02-05-2010, 10:34 AM
I used to obsess over the free throw shooting. I would say at this point we are stuck with the situation and it won't change. The players and coaches can't/won't/don't know how to, remedy the situation. I think they have just accepted the state of affairs and decided that if it costs us, so be it.

Realistically at this point it is probably psychologically and physically impossible to make many changes in free throw technique. That will have to be done in the off-season.

Unfortunately opposing teams will figure that "hack a Shaq" is probably a good thing to do when any of our players has a decent look the basket unless it is Gray or Bouldin.

zagtastic_voyage
02-05-2010, 10:51 AM
I'd say that being bad at the line will kill you in the tourney, but Memphis was crappier at the line a couple years ago than the Zags are this year... oh and they made the Championship game... Just plain brutal to watch though.

Yeah and Derrick Rose missed a free throw at the end that lost them the game.

CDC84
02-05-2010, 11:06 AM
The decision not to foul Kansas before Chalmers put up that three point shot attempt had far more to do with the loss that Rose's missed free throw. Fouling in that situation was something that just required basketball IQ. Fouling is a lot easier than expecting anyone to make a pressure foul shot of that nature with the whole world watching.

Another factor in the loss to Kansas....Memphis went 6-22 from the 3 point line. In their regular season loss vs. Tennessee, the Tigers went 8-27 from the 3 point line. The Tigers were not a good 3 point shooting team, but they had a tendency to get sucked into taking them despite possessing the most lethal dribble drive attack that college basketball has seen this past decade.

In essence, the combination of Memphis' poor decision making, and I suppose, to a degree, Kansas' defense, cost them that game. They made mistakes that were far more profound than the missed foul shots, which they knew they were likely going to miss anyway because it was a team weakness. It's better to control the things that you have some control over within the flow of the game.

alaskazagnut
02-05-2010, 11:30 AM

Not to mention the fact that we take more FT's than 75% of the rest of the teams means we make about the same number if not 1-2 more than our opponent.

This year our athleticism down inside in the paint and ball movement to open lanes getting to the hoop is drawing 627 foul shots. 8th in the nation at FT attempts!!!

As is proven against portland last night, heart, desire and 40 minutes of defensive pressure will get us to the final four. We have to accept our current FT% and 3pt%.

However, it is too bad that we have the worst FT shooting team in 20 years at GU. EVERYONE would agree that is not a good thing and points should never be lost in the shuffle or left on the table. We would be 20-2 right now if we shot 72% FTs.

JPtheBeasta
02-05-2010, 11:43 AM
This year our athleticism down inside in the paint and ball movement to open lanes getting to the hoop is drawing 627 foul shots. 8th in the nation at FT attempts!!!

It will be interesting to see at the end of the year what the total made free throws are for this team compared to years past. If they make more freethrows total despite having a lower percentage, would that make people happy?

As an aside, did any body else enjoy watching the Wil Foster fist pump after the made free throw? I can't help pulling for that guy. I obviously can't speak to what kind of teammate he is, and I don't really think there has been much playing time available for the guy- but I understand his frustration and would like to see him a *bit* more.

golfmania
02-05-2010, 11:44 AM
i understand the ups and downs of free throw shooting, but with the quality of athletes that the zags have, there is no reason that any of them should not be shooting at least 65-70%. it all comes down to the mental aspect of it, if you think you're gonna make it, then generally you will! with the exception of gray and bouldin, do the rest of them have confidence in themselves to make it! ????????????????????????????????

EngineerZag
02-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Hey, at least Will Foster just bumped his FT percentage up a whole bunch!

:)