PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Portland highlight?

zagitup
02-04-2010, 09:34 PM
As hilarious as the Big Will free throw moment was, mine had to be the Elias tipped pass/steal/awesome spin move/laser beam pass to SG for the jamb. Steven's smile after that play was infectious....:clap:

fedwayzag
02-04-2010, 09:43 PM
my favorite play(s) was Meech causing turnovers on two straight possessions and scoring.

rawkmandale
02-04-2010, 09:47 PM
I liked the Steven Gray alley oop to Will for the jam.

Just A Zag
02-04-2010, 09:48 PM

me too :D

d2zag
02-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Anything that had to do with Will in that game.

alaskazagnut
02-04-2010, 11:18 PM

I second that, because I felt Will finally got his big day. For about 2 minutes he dominated all 5 of their players.

But after Will, my favorite moment is the entire teams intensity and heart!! Along with that was the realization that 100% the members on this board were correct. It is just some spoke up and the others didn't like to hear the truth. The several overtly and sarcastically mean posts are what some here try to point out about what is "negative". Hearing Matt Bouldin, Steven Gray, and Mark Few basically confirm what many have been saying on this board was the most exciting. In general all their words were "We didn't have the heart and intensity". They can fix the heart and intensity. Free Throw % and 3 point % isn't fixable at this point in the season. We are stuck with those averages. Defensive intensity and the offensive focus and rebounding will get 5-6 extra possessions per game. Not to mention 8-10 extra points. WOW!!! I am so happy that we are going to Memphis with this momentum and cohesiveness.

So, that was really my favorite "highlight" from this game: the realization that, if heart and intensity is actually the problem, it is fixable. They proved that tonight.

TM27
02-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Arop getting thrown down at end of first half, and from his ass yelling "lets go" while pumping his fist. Sums up the team's attitude tonight for me.

jim77
02-05-2010, 01:04 AM

Yup...it needs to get thrown up there more too.

titopoet
02-05-2010, 05:09 AM
I loved when the game was still close, Big Rob sealing off two Portland bigs to open the lane for Meech's blow by drive.

Bocco
02-05-2010, 06:07 AM
Will's fist pumping exitement, and huge smile on his face after each of his made free throws.

FrosTbear
02-05-2010, 06:22 AM
Seeing Big Will come to life...he smiled and was excited to be on the floor. Welcome back to the planet.

pizzasauce
02-05-2010, 06:51 AM
seeing Few finally get out of that squat and get into the refs and get after HIS guys! I want to see that kind of ENERGY from Few every game!

cjm720
02-05-2010, 06:53 AM
As hilarious as the Big Will free throw moment was, mine had to be the Elias tipped pass/steal/awesome spin move/laser beam pass to SG for the jamb. Steven's smile after that play was infectious....:clap:

+1

seasontixholder
02-05-2010, 06:53 AM
In the middle part of the game, Sacre commited a pretty rough foul on a Portland big who was about to make an otherwise easy layin. Rob had to make an effort to even make it close. Even though the Pilot made both free throws, he came away with the correct impression that nothing was going to come easily.

So much of basketball is primal. The most bothersome part of the early league stretch against the bottom dwellers was that the Zags let those oafs climb into them without much resistance. The best remedy is to climb back into them earlier, harder, and more relentlessly because, generally, the weaker opponent will wilt after meeting superior resistance; and then the talent advantage will re-assert itself.

The Zags essentially have to bully their inferiors early on and set the tone. It takes more than just making clean, pure steals or blocks. Instead, it takes a mindset that Rob had on that particular play.

Birddog
02-05-2010, 07:00 AM
The Zags essentially have to bully their inferiors early on and set the tone. It takes more than just making clean, pure steals or blocks. Instead, it takes a mindset that Rob had on that particular play.
Well some of that, but like last night, the Zags have to run opponents ragged early in the first half. The Pilots had no gas in the 2nd half, and no legs either.
Last night's game demonstrated how subbing bench players in freely kept a relatively fresh bunch on the court at all times with no downside in offensive or defensive punch.

seasontixholder
02-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Physicality is what separates this year's team from last year's. Portland is a lamer version of the '09 Zags; skilled technicians who rely on precise execution rather than enforcing one's will.

If this squad can bring it every night, and if the coaches can live with the extra wrong play or two that the subs will commit in the process, the stepped-up energy that results will greatly overcome all of the negatives. Basically, unleash these guys and goad them to a higher level, rather than having an anal dog-obedience mentality.

webspinnre
02-05-2010, 07:18 AM
I loved the defensive intensity. If we can play defense like this, we'll go far. If we play like earlier in conference play, its going to be a tough road.

Reborn
02-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Yes, Will's smile after made free throws was a great moment, but better than that one was when the camera moved to the Zag bench and there were the guys jumping up and down, screaming and waving their towels like little kids, and the leader of pack was Steven Gray. There's a lot of love on this team. And there is a lot of craziness. That's one thing I like about this team and it does remind me of the '99 team.

U Zig, I Zag
02-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Mine was the fastbreak with Harris leading the way and showing some handles, the sweet spin then dish to Gray for the slam. Crowd went absolutely wild. :p

And it is not a single 'highlight' but I liked watching GG and then later GJ handle the ball and scan the floor like assassins. I know GJ hasn't played much (stay GJ!) but he looked incredibly confident out there and his pass to Will was an absolute rocket. A GG/GJ combo next year would be assist city.

SWZag
02-05-2010, 08:22 AM

Amen!

Thomas_Sutpen
02-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Definitely, Manny's offensive rebound and put-back to end the first half, although Elias's spin move and assist to Gray for the jam is a close second.

gamagin
02-05-2010, 08:44 AM
when big Will lit it up with his 2 f.t.'s. Conversely, the silence as he attempted his f.t.'s was palpable, too.

Fingers were crossed in our section, side bets were made as to whether he would hit, or miss, the rim and backboard. It goes on.

Then, nothing but net (or was it mostly, nothing but net). TWICE.

The student body equalled an opening gig noise machine. the bench went crazy and even those who haven't stood since the national anthem were on their feet, screaming and yelling for the big buy, who had a wide, very satisfied & happy grin on his face.

It happened at other times, too, like the ally oop slam and a couple other "signature" moves, one of which didn't lead to points. Even the effort brought reactions from the throng. Everyone was wishing he'd capitalize on his p.t.

All in all, it was a Career high six points that big Will coaxed into the net and instant passage into the top ten, imo, in the NOISE-O= METER, in the K-2. It was Andrew Sorenson-like love and cheering and support. ANd great fun.

Besides the grin, I have to say, if there is a pix of the BIG smile with the looks of ecstasy and support and that eminated from the bench in the backgroun at the same time, I would love to see it.

If such a picture exists, well, it would be a great cover shot on any sports page or magazine, exemplifying and amplifying how friendship, comradeship, teamwork, fun, and finally, much love, can & does emerge from competitive sports not just at Gonzaga, but throughout the sports world.

The picture I saw of all that togetherness for this gentle giant was that good.

Go Big Will !

Go TEAM Zags !

a13coach
02-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Big Will baby Big Will!!

Nevtelen
02-05-2010, 09:09 AM
On one of Arop's offensive boards, he came from the 3-pt line at the time the shot went up (it was a shot in the paint), knifed through a crowd, got to the other side of the hoop where the ball was coming off, grabbed it and put up a shot. I think that was his miss, but still, that was just unreal. I mean he was standing at the 3-pt line on the wrong side of the rim but managed to beat everyone on the court to that ball.

Big Will's late game butt-kickery was a close 2nd.

Ekrub
02-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Foster's Free Throws and the reaction
Foster's dunk (after missing the first attempt)
Manny Arop's offensive boards
Elias Harris's spin move
Mike Hart for 3

...and beating the hell out of Portland :)

JPtheBeasta
02-05-2010, 10:53 AM
I second that, because I felt Will finally got his big day. For about 2 minutes he dominated all 5 of their players.

But after Will, my favorite moment is the entire teams intensity and heart!!

I think you are cheating but I have to agree with you. Best play: Elias fast break. Best moment: Big Wil fist pump and smile.

gamagin
02-05-2010, 01:07 PM
I think what made me think about this game in an enduring way, besides the win, was how much fun everyone had in this game, especially the players.

The tension was gone this time and it showed.

dim4sum
02-05-2010, 01:51 PM
One aspect of his game I never noticed were his incredibly quick hands.
He made one steal that left Stohl ( I believe) clutching air with both hands outstretched. It was beyond a steal, it was a move I liken to a professional pick pocket's theft of a wallet from a guy's buttoned back pocket that I witnessed in Colombia last year.

gozags09
02-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Other than the final score...the fist pump after the free throw from Big Will....love it.

GoZags
02-05-2010, 05:26 PM
The way the Zags refused to let the first several minutes of "Flop-A-Thon" affect their game plan (with or without Elias).

Bocco
02-05-2010, 08:12 PM
The way the Zags refused to let the first several minutes of "Flop-A-Thon" affect their game plan (with or without Elias).

agreed, there were few moments I thought I was watching the Zags play SCU when Davey was coaching, or USD with Holland. Now, those were two coaches who could teach their player to flop ....