PDA

View Full Version : Corey Joseph Undecided?

Bogozags
02-03-2010, 03:28 PM
I noticed that Corey Joseph has not yet signed nor indicated a final interest in any school. Also noticed he did not list the ZAGS. Did we not recruit him as a possible PG? Know he played with both Manny and KO on the Canadian team...just wondering...

OZZY
02-03-2010, 05:23 PM
I noticed that Corey Joseph has not yet signed nor indicated a final interest in any school. Also noticed he did not list the ZAGS. Did we not recruit him as a possible PG? Know he played with both Manny and KO on the Canadian team...just wondering...

Sorry to say it but Cory is being lined up several BCS schools, my guess is Minnesota, as his brother (soph. Devoe) is starting pg for the Gophers (after Al Nolans ineligibility). The only problem would be that he might not want to compete for a spot against Devoe, Texas is also very high on the list as fellow Findlay/Grassroots Canada teamate Tristan Thompson are is going there. UCONN/UNLV are also in the mix.

BTW Cory's cousin, sophomore Kris Joseph is blowing up at Syracuse, he scored 23 points yesterday in their win over Providence.

cbbfanatic
02-03-2010, 06:17 PM
joseph is a player.

i doubt he ends up at minnesota though, i would guess texas or nova (read somewhere that he wants to go somewhere that he can win a championship). uconn seems to have faded recently, probably due to the roster uncertainty for next year... and the coaching uncertainty.

minnesota (and unlv) just seems like the backup plan in case he doesnt see the potential for enough minutes at texas or nova.

CanadianZagFan
02-04-2010, 02:22 AM
Texas has a top point guard recruit for 2011 locked up in Myck Kabongo. A fellow Canadian he has risen up the rankings this year, not sure if Corey would want to be put in a position where he may play off the ball too much, and that might happen at Texas in 2011. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Myck-Kabongo-5693/

Baldwinzag
02-04-2010, 04:04 AM
Please don't tease us with such thoughts. ;)

I do know Cory is quite close with Manny, and possibly even Kelly. Manny and Cory spent considerable time together competing for Team Canada all over the World. Those two, along with fellow teammate Ty Nurse, even created a pseudonym for their buddy group -- something like "the three-headed Canadian beast" or the "three Amigos from the North", I can't remember precisely what the name was, but something along those lines. Given the friendship factor between Manny and Cory, you never know how much they chatted Zags, but since every BCS team in the country is currently courting him, it's not very likely he's considering us at this point. I say he's 'Nova bound, but Minnesota could be the dark horse.

That said, Cory is going to be a terrific PG at the next level and not just b/c he's ranked in the Top-25. He's an extremely efficient scorer(60% FG), a great shooter(50% from 3pt:eek:), has the height(6'3"), a tremendous passer(7 apg), and most importantly, a team player as evidenced this Summer while leading Team CA to high places.

One of my favorites in the 2010 class.

cbbfanatic
02-04-2010, 06:13 AM
Please don't tease us with such thoughts. ;)

I do know Cory is quite close with Manny, and possibly even Kelly. Manny and Cory spent considerable time together competing for Team Canada all over the World. Those two, along with fellow teammate Ty Nurse, even created a pseudonym for their buddy group -- something like "the three-headed Canadian beast" or the "three Amigos from the North", I can't remember precisely what the name was, but something along those lines. Given the friendship factor between Manny and Cory, you never know how much they chatted Zags, but since every BCS team in the country is currently courting him, it's not very likely he's considering us at this point. I say he's 'Nova bound, but Minnesota could be the dark horse.

That said, Cory is going to be a terrific PG at the next level and not just b/c he's ranked in the Top-25. He's an extremely efficient scorer(60% FG), a great shooter(50% from 3pt:eek:), has the height(6'3"), a tremendous passer(7 apg), and most importantly, a team player as evidenced this Summer while leading Team CA to high places.

One of my favorites in the 2010 class.

I like his game too, has all the tools.

I see a little deron williams in him, but I've only seen him play 3x (2 this year 1 last year). Is there and validity to that comparison, in your opinion?

thespywhozaggedme
02-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Sorry to say it but Cory is being lined up several BCS schools, my guess is Minnesota, as his brother (soph. Devoe) is starting pg for the Gophers (after Al Nolans ineligibility). The only problem would be that he might not want to compete for a spot against Devoe, Texas is also very high on the list as fellow Findlay/Grassroots Canada teamate Tristan Thompson are is going there. UCONN/UNLV are also in the mix.

BTW Cory's cousin, sophomore Kris Joseph is blowing up at Syracuse, he scored 23 points yesterday in their win over Providence.

Kris is an Hakim Warrick clone; identical build and identical inability to hit a 3 pointer if their life depended on it. KJ reminds me so much of Warrick that it's scary and they both went to the same school. I do think Gujo will go to Minny, becuase despite his size Devoe isn't a true pg; he's an undersized 2 guard, so the two of them can play together.

810Suited
02-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Its gonna be a Texas/UConn battle, with Nova being the dark horse. UNLV is only in there because he goes to Findlay Prep. I know Minnesota fans say they haven't heard anything about him in months, and feel completely out of it now. This kid is going to be a flat out stud. Im not sure he is a true pg yet, but definitely has all the tools.

cbbfanatic
02-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Its gonna be a Texas/UConn battle, with Nova being the dark horse.

Where do you get this info? How recent? Or is this just a hunch?

I only ask because I heard something slightly different from someone that was at a recent tournament/event he played in - a guy that in the past has been very reliable

Baldwinzag
02-04-2010, 10:14 AM
I like his game too, has all the tools.

I see a little deron williams in him, but I've only seen him play 3x (2 this year 1 last year). Is there and validity to that comparison, in your opinion?

I think CoJo resembles Deron in his looks moreso than his game. There is definite similiarities, but Cory is much quicker(and smaller body wise not height) than D-Will. In actuality, Deron plays more like Bouldin than Cory, imo. They rely on crafty moves(stutter steps, ball screens, give n' goes) and their physicality to blow by defenders and get to the rim. Deron is a excellent shooter all over the court and a superior passer at the same stage.

That said, Cory reminds me of a Mike Conley Jr., who is currently the starting PG for Memphis Grizzlies and was a one-and-done PG at Ohio State. He led OSU to a F4 with the help of Greg Oden & Daquan Cook in 2007. I thought Mike Conley made Oden and the rest of his teammates look good with his ability to pass, create for teammates, dribble drive with either hand, shoot when called upon, and an ability to score if neccessary. For example, Conley is averaging 10.5 ppg, 5 apg, a couple steals, and shoots 42% from 3pt, and his stats in college were nearly identical. I never see Cory(or Mike) being a big-time scorer at their respective levels, but just undeniable talents at the PG position who can do it all and look good doing it. That was just a quick comparison that came to mind...

810Suited
02-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Where do you get this info? How recent? Or is this just a hunch?

I only ask because I heard something slightly different from someone that was at a recent tournament/event he played in - a guy that in the past has been very reliable

just from what ive read and heard. Minnesota seems to be all but out of it.
hearing lots of Nova rumors lately, but mostly from nova people.
what have you heard? id love the inside scoop

cbbfanatic
02-04-2010, 02:21 PM
just from what ive read and heard. Minnesota seems to be all but out of it.
hearing lots of Nova rumors lately, but mostly from nova people.
what have you heard? id love the inside scoop

here is what i heard:

Jay Wright showed up at his game last weekend when VU was off (conveniently, villanova signee James Bell was playing against CJ). After the game Cory approaches Jay and asks to speak with him in private. 10-15 minutes later Jay comes back with a larger smile than usual - just overflowing exuberance (i think that was the exact phrase used), and answers the questions of those with him at the game only with a grin. total speculation by a few guys is that it was a "silent verbal" type situation where he told Jay what's up, but is waiting to announce -- this part of the story is all extremely speculative and requires a significant leap of faith. the next part is a little more concrete.

The guy i heard from also talked to someone close to Cory that said he likes Texas a lot, with the Ro Russell (kabongo, tristan thompson) connection and all, but that he isnt sure if the minutes are there right away... just a small hesitance on that really. But perhaps the biggest piece (in my opinion anyway) is that he said that the performance of Maalik Wayns this year at Nova is really enticing to Cory, as Cory would step right into that spot if he was to end up there - ie freshman PG playing behind two established and all BE caliber incumbents (Scottie Reynolds and Corey Fisher this year, Corey Fisher and Maalik Wayns next year). Many people thought Maalik would be buried this year, and that when he was on the court, he would be handcuffed, but both have been very far from reality. Jay Wright has run out a lot of 2 PG sets and all 3 guys are getting big minutes and a lot of touches. The kid has been amazing so far in his role, and has been given a great deal of freedom with the ball when on the court... also, as a five star guard named Cory, i think he might be required to go to VU (with Corey Fisher and Corey Stokes) -- that last part is a joke - and a bad one at that.

Anyway, there is still the Ro Russell/familiar teammates/Austin appeal factor at texas, as well as the brother factor in Minnesota, but from what has been going on lately, nova APPEARS to look strong here.

This is all separate from a lot of positive (recent) rumlings among some VU connected sources, and these are not the type of sources that think Jay is going to win all the recruiting battles, quite the opposite really. these guys tend to err towards the cautious side.

not sure how "inside" that is, but thats the scoop i'm hearing right now. should be interesting how it plays out. I read recently that he might announce at the MCDs game.