• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zag 77
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Few's Comments

From Jim Meehan's blog on the Spokesman-Review:

—Head coach Mark Few was a bit testy with a particular line of questioning.

Asked if the loss to USF was a needed wake-up call, Few said, “No, not at all. I don’t think they need a wake-up call. First of all, they’re not the juggernaut that again everybody wants to paint them out to be. I think I’ve been consistent with that statement and that fact. We’re pretty even with most teams in this league and if we don’t play with a ton of energy and ton of toughness then, as you can see, most of our games have come down to last couple minutes. We’ve been really poised and really good at winning games at the end, but we just made a couple errors at the end of the game that allowed San Francisco to tie it up.”

Few said the players have worked hard in practice and have been resilient.

“They’re young, though,” he added. “You go through phases in seasons where sometimes you’re playing really good and sometimes you’re not playing so good. Just look across the landscape of college basketball. Unless I’m missing something I don’t think anybody has played great in every game. Some of the teams are built better to survive those than the rest of us.”

Few was asked about Portland, which visits Thursday. “We better play really good. They’re playing better than we are. They’ve been on the road and handled guys fairly easily. They’re a veteran crew, a very physical crew, worked us over inside last time, but we were playing really good basketball at that time and we were able to keep them at arm’s length that whole game.”

That led to a question about what has been the difference the last couple games, compared to how the team was playing in the first go-around with Portland. Said Few: “I think people expect us to blow everybody out. I guess sometimes you guys are like my team, you’re not hearing what I’m saying. We’re not just so overly talented that we’re just going to blow people out. Pretty much all of our games, maybe with the exception of Eastern Washington, have been tough, hard-nosed games and pretty evenly matched. So those are going to come down to the last couple plays and we’ve been incredibly poised and done a nice job to win those games. I expect the rest of the league games to go like that. That’s just the way it is.

“You go through phases. You go through phases with your golf game, with pretty much everything. We were making a lot of shots then, getting great contributions from everybody off the bench. Now we’re hit or miss there. It’s just another week in league play. Maybe next week we’ll be writing songs about everybody, who knows? That’s why I’m not big on big, sweeping generalizations.”
    Meehan also includes some comments from Matt Bouldin:

—Following Saturday’s game, Matt Bouldin sat on a stool in front of his locker and looked completely spent. For good reason, he’d played 41 minutes after logging 40 against Santa Clara two nights earlier. The Broncos bumped and crowded Bouldin on seemingly every play. Throw in the fact that Bouldin wasn’t feeling well Saturday and it made for a long couple of days.

“Just a rough day in general,” he said. “When you give it your all on the floor and want to win so badly … it was a combination of being mad and being disappointed.”

Bouldin is still dealing with lingering discomfort in his right (shooting) hand, stemming from a tumble against San Diego a couple weeks ago.

“I don’t think it’s getting much better, but it’s definitely tolerable,” he said. “I’m fine.”
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Give Jimmy M a hit on his web page amd read the whole post in context.

Comment

• Zag 77
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Links

Meehan column:

John Blanchette's column also discusses Few' comments:

One of the articles of Gonzaga’s basketball faith has been that the company the Bulldogs keep in January and February is universally disdained – though slightly less nationwide than by the Zags’ own fan base. Apparently, however, it’s now just a half truth.

Comment

• malmer7
        Kennel Club
        • Jan 2008

epiphany

ok, i guess i just had a major breakthrough after hearing/seeing this by few in those comments:

First of all, they’re not the juggernaut that again everybody wants to paint them out to be. I think I’ve been consistent with that statement and that fact. We’re pretty even with most teams in this league and if we don’t play with a ton of energy and ton of toughness then, as you can see, most of our games have come down to last couple minutes.

So... maybe we are only slightly better than other WCC teams, not dominant like i had always thought... maybe the only difference between us and them as that we've figured out how to beat teams in the major conferences through smoke and mirrors, something the rest of the league has yet to perfect... are you friggin kidding me?? this is the 1st or 2nd most talented zags teams i've ever seen, we SHOULD be a juggernaut in WCC play wiping people out by 20-30 on a regular basis. i can't believe i'm being told my expectations are too big for this team... sure, our pre-conference results may have been surprisingly good, but we are now in the WCC where our opponents know us AND we know them, i want to see absolute demolition of these other teams (maybe st. mary's and portland aside, they're okay this year).

Comment

• gamagin
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

"We have found the enemy,

and he is us" - Pogo

Go TEAM Zags !
          Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
          Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
          Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• BobZag
            Dark Lord of the Zag
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by gamagin View Post
            and he is us" - Pogo

Go TEAM Zags !
            What, nothing profound from Garfield?
            The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
              • Feb 2007

All your base are belong to us!
              "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• gamagin
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

no problemo, BZ

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                What, nothing profound from Garfield?
                "If the power to do hard work is not a skill, it's the best possible substitute for it." - James A. Garfield
                Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• ZagNative
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I howled over Blanchette when I read that last night. That guy's way with words is amazing.
                  One of the articles of Gonzaga’s basketball faith has been that the company the Bulldogs keep in January and February is universally disdained – though slightly less nationwide than by the Zags’ own fan base. [Ain't it the truth!]

Apparently, however, it’s now just a half truth.

This conclusion has been reached on new evidence: that what arguably might be the Zags’ most mortifying loss – relative not to point spread but program stature – in the decade since they were decreed to be a phenomenon dropped them only four spots in one poll Monday and five in another.

Could have sworn there would have been a more humbling putdown for Saturday’s stumble against the University of San Francisco. An offer of membership in the Pac-10, perhaps.

Both in terms of record (7-14, only five of those being Division I wins) and RPI (235) entering the game, the Dons are the lowliest outfit to put one over on Gonzaga in the Era of Unbridled Giddiness.
                  In any case, it seems the West Coast Conference carries more cachet than imagined, even if the Zags had scorched the lodge brothers 27 times in a row before getting Dior Lowhorn-ed. [ ]

It surely carries some with Gonzaga coach Mark Few, who on Monday was moved to calm the citizenry – which happens at least once a season – by suggesting recent developments were merely a market correction.
                  They don’t seem to value the basketball. The play of the bench – where all those youngsters sit – has been fitful, and inadequate. They’re maddeningly sub-average at the foul line. And lately their defense has slipped noticeably. For all the uproar over USF’s game-tying basket and the fluky inbounds save by Steven Gray that led to it, more telling  was  how  unguarded Lowhorn was for the 3-pointer he missed seconds before.

Few is concerned about all those aspects, and will do what he can to solve them. He’ll try to mitigate expectations by saying things like, “We’re not so overly talented that we’re going to blow people out,” knowing he’ll make few converts.

Comment

• Bogozags
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jan 2008

Memory +

Originally posted by gamagin View Post
                    and he is us" - Pogo

Go TEAM Zags !
                    I remember reading that in the funnies eons ago...what a memory to recall that!

Comment

Working...
                    X