PDA

View Full Version : Question for Zag fans re: seeding

BobZag
02-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Your choice:

1. Be a 4 or 5 seed in Spokane.
2. Be a 6 seed in San Jose.

Before choosing your preference, consider this... As a 6 seed, you don't play the 1 seed until the Elite Eight, and the 1 seeds are a clear notch above the 2 seeds. UK, KU, Syracuse, Villanova are 1 seeds right now; Mich St., West Virginia, G-Town, Purdue are 2 seeds right now. As a 4 or 5 seed, you play the 1 seed in the Sweet Sixteen. Getting through the first and second rounds is about the same for a 4-5-6 seed, the difference in the caliber of opponents being minimal.

Do we fans want GU to potentially meet the next '09 Tar Heels in the SS, or would you rather see the guys have a legit chance at the EE first? I guess, in other words, is playing in Spokane THAT important to y'all if it means being a 4-5 seed?

MickMick
02-01-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm more worried about winning the conference and the conference tournament.

The Zags are not progressing as fast as other teams in the WCC.

For now, I'll be happy with any seed.

lothar98zag
02-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Regardless of seed, I want them in Spokane. I've gotten to the point where I consider 95%+ of the Sw16 teams/games to be roughly the same level. So whatever gives GU the best chance to get to the Sw16 is what I want and this year, I think that means staying in Spokane. Once the Sw16 hits, they can play on Mars for all I care - it'll be tough regardless.

zagfan08
02-01-2010, 05:36 PM
This is the reason our loss to USF hurts so much. I believe we would have easily been a 3 seed had we been able to run the table, or even a slip up against St. Mary's. A 3 seed in Spokane was absolutely ideal.

Personally, I'd prefer the 6 seed. Hopefully that would fire up the team to prove they deserved better (it didn't in 2002, but that's a different story). Even having to play the 2 and 3 seeds, the path to the elite 8 is much easier, in my opinion.

sullyzag66
02-01-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm more worried about winning the conference and the conference tournament.

The Zags are not progressing as fast as other teams in the WCC.

For now, I'll be happy with any seed.
+1 What MickMick said.

JohnOGU
02-01-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm more worried about this last loss breaking this team's back, causing us to lose another game that we shouldnt, causing us to receive a seed even higher than a 6 in San Jose.

Ezag
02-01-2010, 05:52 PM
+1 What MickMick said.

+2 What MickMick said

IrishEv211
02-01-2010, 05:57 PM
This is the reason our loss to USF hurts so much. I believe we would have easily been a 3 seed had we been able to run the table, or even a slip up against St. Mary's. A 3 seed in Spokane was absolutely ideal.

Personally, I'd prefer the 6 seed. Hopefully that would fire up the team to prove they deserved better (it didn't in 2002, but that's a different story). Even having to play the 2 and 3 seeds, the path to the elite 8 is much easier, in my opinion.

No way were we a 3 seed before that loss...Lunardi had us at a 5 and dropping which means even a 4 seed would've been tough no matter a 3....if we can do what you said and win every game other than one, I see us at a 6 seed which after the thought of avoiding a #1 in the Sw16 would be nice

NEC26
02-01-2010, 06:10 PM
I would much prefer to play in spokane. Like Lothar said they are all tough once you reach the sweet sixteen. With as much as this team has traveled it would be great to stay here and play.

d2zag
02-01-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm liking San Jose right about now as a 6 seed. I think that the EAST is pretty much going to stay the same with Villanova at #1 and Mich St. at #2. I mean Villanova we wouldn't play til the EE, that would be great (but we'd probably lose, imo). BYU and Mich St. are two winnable games.

NovaZag
02-01-2010, 06:21 PM
If we wind up a 6 seed, then our 2nd round game could be against Duke, Texas, K-State, or BYU. The caliber of teams at the 2-3 level are much higher than at 4 line, imo, so I would like to be a 4-5 seed in Spokane because I'd rather face Vandy, Ohio State, Temple, Pitt, etc., than Duke, Texas, or K-State in the 2nd round. Plus, it's in Spokane.

gonstu
02-01-2010, 06:36 PM
If we can lose to USF, we can lose to any seed in the tournament. If we're a 4 seed, we could lose to a 13, if a 6 we could lose to the 11. It's crazy to look ahead two rounds and therefore think that being a 6 out of spokane would be better than being a 4 in spokane. Give me the two (close to) home games to get to the SS any time and then see what happens against the 1 seed. Of course we would prefer to avoid the one seed, but not at the cost of those two opening round home games.

zagfan08
02-01-2010, 11:31 PM
No way were we a 3 seed before that loss...Lunardi had us at a 5 and dropping which means even a 4 seed would've been tough no matter a 3....if we can do what you said and win every game other than one, I see us at a 6 seed which after the thought of avoiding a #1 in the Sw16 would be nice

Lunardi had us as a 5 if the season ended last week. In his chat he said GU could move up to a 2 or 3 if they won out.

Ultimately I think we'll end up as a 4 or a 5. Say we lose one more game to St. Mary's, we finish somewhere around 27-5 with 4 top 50 wins. Even though we lack that signature win, that should be enough to be a 5 seed. I still maintain I'd rather be a 6 though.

krozman
02-02-2010, 12:01 AM
So, ahem, in summary:

1. We can beat any team in the country.
2. We can lose to any team in the country.
3. ????
4. Profit

Thanks for clearing this up folks. I'm going to take some Nyquil before heading to bed.

:lmao:

MJ777
02-02-2010, 12:19 AM
I will choose the 6 potentially playing the 3 in the 2nd round in SJ. Now if I lived near Spokane I might choose the 4/5.

A bit off topic: Seeding can be so random and so important. Take the 99 team. They beat 7th seeded Minnesota in the 1st round in Seattle as a 10 seed, but it wasn't easy and UM was missing players due to suspension if I remember right. They won 2 more games and almost beat UConn in the E8. But if GU had been the 9 seed in the west and happened to beat the 8 seed then they would have played the 1 seed (UConn) in the 2nd round and likely would have lost. Had they lost in the 2nd round that year would the SW 16s have happened in 00 and 01? Would there be 11 apperances in the dance in a row? Would this board exist today? Would Mark Few still be at GU? Would Will Foster be a starter at GU playing 30 minutes a game and fouling out every game? Would the Sonics have left Seattle? Would the 116 wins 2001 Mariners have won the World Series? Would the Seahawks have won the SB in 2006 (talk about bad reffing)? The World may never know. :D

I guess it was fate that they were the 10 and not the 9, and it was fate that put Minnesota, Stanford and Florida in the Zags path in 99. The Runner, the tip, the don't wanna foul and the Dogpile -"Gonzaga, The Slipper still fits".

zag944
02-02-2010, 08:06 AM
A bit off topic: Seeding can be so random and so important. Take the 99 team. They beat 7th seeded Minnesota in the 1st round in Seattle as a 10 seed, but it wasn't easy and UM was missing players due to suspension if I remember right. They won 2 more games and almost beat UConn in the E8. But if GU had been the 9 seed in the west and happened to beat the 8 seed then they would have played the 1 seed (UConn) in the 2nd round and likely would have lost.

this gives me comfort whenever I am mad (still!) that Davidson got a 10 seed despite being ranked in the polls and being on like a 22 game win streak. Only a little ways from home at that!

Anyways, one more loss and the 4/5 seed conversation part of this is moot. we got some conference road games against some teams that played us well at home, and losing either would be hugely unfavorable to us. we also have the WCC tourney where we could very well be dealing with St. Marys playing for tournament life.

Im sure whereever we play itll be an insanely difficult road to do the things Id like them to do. Even moreso if the team cant find its swagger back in these next few games.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-02-2010, 08:22 AM
I want a 14 seed so that we can rematch 3rd seeded Texas after that scrimmage loss back in November or 3rd seeded Duke for the MSG fiasco.

Bring on the big boys in the first round. Once you pull a 14/3 upset, the rest of the way to the Sweet 16 gets a lot easier.

75Zag
02-02-2010, 08:28 AM
I will be happy if GU makes the tournament and draws a first round opponent that does not come pre-loaded with 3 point magicians and long-armed thugs. I don't much care whether that happens in Spokane or San Jose. The Bay Area offers a lot of attractions for fans looking to make a long weekend out of it, but I suppose I can spend another day or two touring the Manito Park greenhouse and the Cheney Cowles Museum if I have to.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

U Zig, I Zag
02-02-2010, 08:45 AM
I am thinking we might have hit a plateau. This team is unable to finish off inferior opponents. (a win is a win, yes - but some of those games were just way too close, it shows faults)

I think it would take a major collapse to not make the tourney in some fashion but with the way we are playing I would stay away from the highest seeds for as long as possible.

In a way, I wish we were flying under the radar still... :(

I may still get frustrated by the play at certain positions (PG, C) every stinking game but I am settling into the fact that certain spots are played by committee.

We lose with increased frequency starting now unless Gray can start hitting his shots from the arc and Rob finds the fire.

Can Ronny call Rob? Or can Stockton fly Karl Malone up here or something? Pep talks??? Rob needs a fire lit under that @ss.

Ezag
02-02-2010, 08:49 AM
I still have faith that this team can win a grinder if it comes down to a game at the end because they have proven it time and again but damn does every game have to be so close....my health is suffering here.

On the main point, I say "Spokane please".

mgadfly
02-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Had we won last week and won all but 1 of our remaining games we'd have been 28-4 and 21-1 since Duke (and Bouldin's recovery from his concussion). We'd have likely been ranked in the top 10 and a three or four seed would have been reasonable (considering the losses were to good teams).

Now we have a very bad loss and are facing a heck of a challenge with Portland, Memphis, and Saint Mary's. I'm more concerned about earning a seed of any sort. I don't want to enter the WCC tourney and HAVE to win it to go.

But to answer the original question, I have tickets for the NCAA in Spokane and I'd love to see them twice here before they beat the #1 seed in the Sweet 16.

Rbo
02-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Any seed in Spokane.

Zagsker
02-02-2010, 09:39 AM
So, ahem, in summary:

1. We can beat any team in the country.
2. We can lose to any team in the country.
3. ????
4. Profit

Thanks for clearing this up folks. I'm going to take some Nyquil before heading to bed.

:lmao:

classic

Phase 1: steal underpants:lmao:

whatazag
02-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Easy, 4 seed in Spokane. Lets get to the S16 before we start worrying about how hard our opponent there is.

portlandzag
02-02-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm just hoping we get the 1 seed in the WCC tourney...

But, as to the thread question, I vote Spokane at any seed we can get.

golfmania
02-02-2010, 10:11 AM
:link:
I am thinking we might have hit a plateau. This team is unable to finish off inferior opponents. (a win is a win, yes - but some of those games were just way too close, it shows faults)

I think it would take a major collapse to not make the tourney in some fashion but with the way we are playing I would stay away from the highest seeds for as long as possible.

In a way, I wish we were flying under the radar still... :(

I may still get frustrated by the play at certain positions (PG, C) every stinking game but I am settling into the fact that certain spots are played by committee.

We lose with increased frequency starting now unless Gray can start hitting his shots from the arc and Rob finds the fire.

Can Ronny call Rob? Or can Stockton fly Karl Malone up here or something? Pep talks??? Rob needs a fire lit under that @ss.

NotoriousZ
02-02-2010, 10:54 AM
I was considering this the other night, after we blew the game at USF. It seems to me that this current Zag group (much like those of the past) have some issues living up to the "hype". What I mean by that is simply - when the expecations are high, historically the team tends to buckle under the pressure.

Saturday night was an example of that. Think of Davidson, or UCLA, or Nevada; we were supposed to win those games; and we blew it.

So, not only do the facts that BZ mentioned above support the fact (in my opinion) that playing outside of Spokane as a 6 seed would be more beneficial to the Zags in the long run; but the pressure of playing in Spokane as a high seed might be too much for the team.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that having them play in Spokane makes me more nervous (potential opponents aside) than having them play where expectations might not be as high.

Bottom line: we're better as a sleeper/underdog/cinderella than a juggernaut.

We have been better as the sleeper/underdog in the past, but those days are gone. Last year we played to our potential I thought as the favorite in Portland and after that we got stuck against the best team in the country who may have played their best game of the season. Even if we do get a lower seed this year, no one is going to say we're a sleeper.

And of the three games you mentioned, UCLA is the only one where the Zags really blew it. In the Nevada game the refs ticky-tacked Ronny out of the game and they shot the lights out with the threes. Maybe we kind of blew it vs. Davidson, because we just had to cover Curry to win it, but most of the other teams they played couldn't do that either.

What's going on Gray'sAnatomy? This is more like what I expected you to say (and I would have agreed with it):

We're going to get a 3 seed in Spokane, because we're not just going to win the rest of our games, we're gonna blow the mofo's out! Portland...dead! Memphis...dead! Niedermeyer...

And maybe you would have thrown in an illustration to emphasize the point!

UberZagFan
02-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Uber will take being a 10 seed in Spokane over any of the other options.

maynard g krebs
02-02-2010, 04:27 PM
4-5 in Spokane. Getting to the second weekend is the first priority, and hard to do playing a 3 in the 2nd round. Also, none of the potential 1s is on the level of UNC last yr.

NotoriousZ
02-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Niedermeyer is dead?

I lost track of him after his appearance in the Twisted Sister video.

zagzilla
02-09-2010, 05:20 PM
I think the Top 6 teams are a cut above the rest. After that, I think they are pretty even.

KU
Cuse
Duke
Nova
WV
Kentucky

All are teams I don't want to see before the EE. Much easier to do with a 3 seed but that is pretty unlikely.

In some ways, a 6 seed is better for us since we avoid the #1 seed in the S16. If we beat the 11 seed in the first round we get the 3 seed for a trip to the S16.

Looking at the likely 3 seeds, teams like Purdue, TX, Wisky, Ohio St, K State all tough but not much different than playing a 4 or 5 seed.

One problem is the 6 seeds play in New Orleans, Jacksonville and (shudder) Oklahoma City.

FlyZag
02-09-2010, 07:06 PM
4-5 in Spokane. Getting to the second weekend is the first priority, and hard to do playing a 3 in the 2nd round. Also, none of the potential 1s is on the level of UNC last yr.

+1

The higher seed the better. The easiest path to a first round victory the better. 4 playing a 13 or 5 playing a 12 IN SPOKANE is way better than a 6 playing an 11 somewhere else (underdogs will be crowd favorites everywhere but here).

Win one game at a time. Silly to be looking at S16 match ups.

Reborn
02-09-2010, 08:39 PM
I see no reason we can't get a 3 seed if we win out.

I would rather be a 4 seed in Spokane that is the #1 four seed and be in the bracket with the worst #1 seed. I think GU can compete with any of the #1's this year accept maybe Kansas. There is NOT a team as good as North Carolina was last year (at least according to Jay Bilas, and I agree with Jay. I will always want to take the highest seed possible, and play the hand we're dealt. I think the field is wide open this year. I think every game will be tough, and if we get a #4 seed we will have a somewhat easier game then if we are a 6 seed. I would like to get to the Sweet 16. That is quite an accomplishment. We would have to beat the 3 seed to get there is we're a 6 seed. And if we're a 4 we play a 5 or less. I think last year we played a 12 seed in the second round. Don't forget the possibility of upsets....ha ha ha ha:D

rawkmandale
02-09-2010, 10:21 PM
To be a contrarian, I wonder if San Jose might actually be BETTER than Spokane (for the team, not the fans). We have played some stinker games in the Arena over the years. The shooting background is not so good, favoring a chaotic team over a finese shooting team (though I admit sometimes we are the former in this rendition of the Zags). Also, the backboards break too easily.

There is a lot of Zag support in the Bay Area. We've played well in many road games. Maybe we should be happy if the draw ends up in San Jose.

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-10-2010, 02:22 AM
Playing a couple tournament games in Spokane is a rare opportunity. I don't see the big disadvantage to playing the 1 seed early. If we win, we are the de facto 1 seed until the Final Four. Big risk, big reward.