PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Bubble Watch: Feb. 1 edition

CDC84
02-01-2010, 01:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bubblewatch?id=99

Other at-large contenders
Teams that should be in: Northern Iowa, Butler, Gonzaga

Gonzaga [17-4 (6-1), RPI: 29, SOS: 83] The Bulldogs were probably close to locking up an NCAA at-large bid, until they lost at San Francisco 81-77 in overtime on Saturday night. That loss ended Gonzaga's nine-game winning streak. The Bulldogs have three high-quality victories, beating Wisconsin (neutral court), Cincinnati (neutral) and Saint Mary's (road). They also lost at Michigan State by four points and to Wake Forest by two points at home. The only real blemish was a 76-41 loss to Duke at Madison Square Garden on Dec. 19, which was Gonzaga's lowest point total in 25 years. Gonzaga plays at Memphis on Saturday and then plays the rematch against Saint Mary's at home on Feb. 11, which might decide which team wins the West Coast Conference regular-season title.

Saint Mary's [19-3 (6-1), RPI: 35, SOS: 113] The Gaels have won nine of their past 10 games to stay right on Gonzaga's heels in the West Coast Conference race. Of course, the only Saint Mary's loss during that stretch was an 89-82 loss to the Bulldogs at home on Jan. 14. SMC plays home games against Santa Clara and San Francisco this week, before traveling to Gonzaga for the Feb. 11 rematch. Gonzaga has a much better computer profile than Saint Mary's, so there should be no doubt what the NCAA pecking order is in this league. The Gaels' only win over an RPI top-50 opponent was an 80-58 victory over San Diego State at home on Nov. 17. The Gaels also lost to Vanderbilt 72-70 at home on Nov. 20.

MJGoGaels
02-01-2010, 01:25 PM
I am counting on a good GU win against Memphis to get the Tigers sent to the NIT instead of the NCAA, which correspondingly helps clear the run way to land the Gaels a bid to the dance. Naturally, there are a few other obstacles to navigate.

whatazag
02-01-2010, 02:06 PM
I am counting on a good GU win against Memphis to get the Tigers sent to the NIT instead of the NCAA, which correspondingly helps clear the run way to land the Gaels a bid to the dance. Naturally, there are a few other obstacles to navigate.

Only problem with this plan is that even if Memphis loses to the Zags, they can still win the CUSA, getting a tourney spot. If they don't win the CUSA, somoene else from the conference will go, and Memphis will still have a chance at making the tourney, though I doubt they would. Assuming St Mary's does not beat GU this year, I think it is going to be a close call for an at large again, but they will likely be left out again.

U Zig, I Zag
02-01-2010, 02:31 PM
I am done with St. Mary's this year (Samhan ruins that team for me, sorry) but I am all for St. Mary's going out next year and getting some 'home' and homes with some mid-BCS schools. Is there a place near by that they can play at? GU sells 10K(??) seats at the Arena here in town once a year and could do it 3 times a year (as far as the fans are concerned).

Maybe they should concentrate on getting a BCS school with a large West coast alumni that would show up in droves and entice the other team to sign up, ala Duke @ MSG.

Of course, Bennett, the AD and alumni might try all the time for something like this... but baby steps, I guess. It took awhile for GU to get someone like Wake to come in to the Kennel where we could then have our best player get kicked out of the game and lose at home.

You have to EARN those type of games. :D

I wish St Marys could get an at large but I am thinking that GU is gonna win out in the WCC, all the way through Vegas. We made it through the tough road stretch at first and luckily played our worst ball against some bad teams. USF got the best of us and GU needs to reset. Time to crush some WCC foes.

St. Marys is going to need a GU win in regular season I think and I don't believe that is gonna happen.

CDC84
02-01-2010, 02:35 PM
What it's interesting about C-USA is that for the first time in ages, the league tourney isn't going to held at Memphis. This year it moves to Tulsa.

The Tigers right now are one game behind UAB, Tulsa and UTEP in the C-USA standings. They suffered a bad loss on Saturday night at SMU.

lothar98zag
02-01-2010, 03:20 PM
What it's interesting about C-USA is that for the first time in ages, the league tourney isn't going to held at Memphis. This year it moves to Tulsa.

The Tigers right now are one game behind UAB, Tulsa and UTEP in the C-USA standings. They suffered a bad loss on Saturday night at SMU.
also, using kenpom projections, they shouldn't be expected to win the regular season...

http://kenpom.com/conf.php?y=2010&c=CUSA Tied for 3rd