PDA

View Full Version : The Spirit of PENDO

Reborn
02-01-2010, 07:11 AM
The Zags need to remind themselves what it means to be a Zag. I think that they need to take a moment of reflection and take a great look at what David Pendograft brought to the Zags for four years. This team needs to get their fight back. They need to dig down and find their grit and their bite. Saturday night, for some reason, there was not a lot of fight in the dog.

For Pendo it was always team first. He exemplified a team player. There was not a lot of ego in this Zag. I think some of the guys need to take a look at that too, because at times they still fall back to their old habit of playing one on one way to much. And the guards sometimes really do not work enough to get the ball down low. The Zags' Bigs were dominating the Dons down low. Especially Sacre. We need to attack opponents weaknesses and take advantage of the mismatches we have.

cjm720
02-01-2010, 07:30 AM
The spirit of Pendo? Really? That's sooo 2008. :)

We all know this team is tough, albeit young and still developing.

ZagLawGrad
02-01-2010, 07:53 AM
I seem to remember a pretty tough and intense player named Mark Spink that gave Pendo a pretty good example to follow.

krozman
02-01-2010, 08:05 AM
I seem to remember a pretty tough and intense player named Mark Spink that gave Pendo a pretty good example to follow.

+1

gamagin
02-01-2010, 08:32 AM
we're also still pretty green around some edges. There's a big difference.

If it were a football game, I think I'd take this year's team over last year's, for example. But pargo might ruin it for me.

cbbfanatic
02-01-2010, 09:07 AM

agreed. spink was a really unique player. just a crazy guy that could energize the kennel in an instant.

in fact, there are a lot of good examples of team first, intense, tough guys that played for GU during that period

MedZag
02-01-2010, 10:24 AM
It amazes me how past players get glorified around here. Pendo had his off games as well.

This year's team is not soft. They lack focus at times, but what do you expect with so many first year players?

BroncoZAG615
02-01-2010, 10:40 AM
It amazes me how past players get glorified around here. Pendo had his off games as well.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He went for at least 20 and 10 every game, never taking a play off or showing frustration!!!

Zagsker
02-01-2010, 11:04 AM
yes....all this team is missing is just an undersized ginger:lmao:

in all seriousness...Pendergraft was scrappy....but we do have a team of hardworkers....we just got beat...it happens (rememeber PSU last year)

gu03alum
02-01-2010, 03:12 PM
I thought GU was missing a point guard and center. ;)

If memory serves Pendo was a very undersized 4 who was overmatched against more talented opponents. I remember thinking during his senior year that he was taking valuable minutes away from a more talented Daye.

I guess I completely disagree with you. Especially at this level, I don't care how hard you work, talent almost always wins.