PDA

View Full Version : Few Show highlights 1/31/10

Zag 77
01-31-2010, 10:04 PM
1.) Some observations by Few about various errors vs. USF: turnovers, letting certain opponent players get some confidence early, saving an out-of-bounds ball under the opponent's offensive basket. Few was not on camera much. I doubt he was in the mood to banter (from the Bill Russell room, no less).

2.) Not a word about the Santa Clara game.

3.) Nice shots of San Francisco scenery.

4.) Feature about trainer Jennifer Nyland. First time I have heard her speak. She seems to be a nice person and liked by the players.

5.) Interview with Brian and Sarah Michaelsen about the Coaches Versus Cancer shirts she designed and the effort to get them worn at the UP game this week.

rawkmandale
01-31-2010, 10:19 PM
They have got a really good video editor at KHQ. I'd like to know who it is. The closing montage was great - sound track included.

JohnOGU
02-01-2010, 03:12 AM
They have got a really good video editor at KHQ. I'd like to know who it is. The closing montage was great - sound track included.

His name is Justin Lange. Went to the high school with the kid.

ZagNative
02-01-2010, 09:13 AM
They have got a really good video editor at KHQ. I'd like to know who it is. The closing montage was great - sound track included.Absolutely! The sound track was a really interesting and, I thought, powerful choice. The show will be on again tonight on SWX, Comcast Channel 115 in Spokane.

The fan question was the one that had been suggested here - how are redshirt freshmen Sam Dower and David Stockton coming. (I didn't save my notes, so if anyone else was watching, feel free to correct me.)

Few said that Sam came in ready to play and the only reason they redshirted him was because of the shortage of minutes available, that he's doing well and the redshirt year is really benefiting him because he's been able to do a lot of weight training, which he hadn't done much of previously.

He didn't say as much about David Stockton, if memory serves me correctly, but mentioned his great sense for the game.

I'm looking forward to hearing Mark Few on Tom Hudson's radio show on KGA 1510 at noon today.

Section 116
02-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Here's what I got from the Jan 31 Few Show, which was taped after the game at USF. Quick turnaround from losing a tough game to the taping of the show for Few and Heister. That was actually Heister's opener for the show, "Tough game tonight!" Few-We gave that team confidence early, some guys got rolling, and we missed those free throws in the first half. Then Lowhorn got hot. Heister noted lately it seems one guy from each of the past four opponents has gone off on the Zags, Bell from Pepperdine, Teel from LMU, Trasolini hits 4 threes and now Lowhorn, all guys who hurt you. Few's comment to this, what really bothered him was Moustapha getting 11. This was right after the game so there wasn't much time to prepare but Few said they had a guy averaging 2 and he got 11. Actually he (Mustahpa) averages about 6 but the point was made. Few said our post defense was terrible, blockouts were no good, and trying to save the ball under the USF basket (Gray's attempt) at the end is never a good play. Now we just gotta get home, play with some energy and fire. We've followed our previous losses with good efforts. USF was pressing and trapping and we just didn't have a great flow.

Fan question from Nancy in Boise. What has been the development of redshirts Sam Dower and David Stockton. Dower could have played this year, but we didn't think we could get enough minutes for both Dower and Kelly Olynyk. Dower has a soft touch, he's good around the rim. He never really lifted before he got here so he's been spending a lot of time with the weights and getting stronger. Stockton's shooting has improved, he has a good feel for the game but he need's to get stronger.

Next was a piece on team trainer Jennifer Nyland. She noted she did a little bit of trainer stuff in high school, liked it, and enrolled at WSU where there is a good trainer program. Upon graduation she worked at the community college level in Spokane for a bit, and then heard GU was hiring. She said she bugged Steve Delong, head trainer, every week for quite a while. He finally go tired of hearing from her so he hired her, at least that's her story. She worked with the crew team and a couple other sports and about six years ago she got on with basketball. She said the coaches bring in really great kids and she loves working with them, she hears all their stories, girlfriend problems and the like. She gets lots of call from trainers around the country to see how GU dealt with Morrison and his diabetes. On the road she is responsible for setting up the meals. They showed her with Matt and he said she helps calm my nerves, she's always there. She said my job is to take care of them whether they are first guy in or last guy on the bench. Of interest to me was the fact Matt has to get a big toe wrapped every game as he is battling "turf toe". Nyland noted you get to see the players grow up, you get to see how well they get along with each other and it's a lot of fun being part of NCAA wins. Don't recall which player she was working on but he said Sacre has to have his ankle wrapped just so, so it looks "pretty". Got a kick out of that.

Next was in interview with David and Sarah Michaelson regarding their part in the Coaches vs. Cancer campaign and Sarah's "I Believe" white out the Kennel T-shirt campaign. Sarah noted they have gotten letters and orders from everywhere, California, Oregon, Utah, Virginia, New Jersey pretty much from all over the USA. We think it's important that some day there is a cure for this disease. Few said we're making some gains in the battle against cancer. Our golf and gala event in Spokane every summer is one of the best in the country. I'm proud of the way Spokane has stepped up and supported this campaign. We're hoping Thursday night against Portland everyone has their white I Believe T-shirt on.

Regarding the week ahead only the Portland game was noted, nothing about Memphis. Few said the Pilots are battling for a top spot in the league, they're playing pretty good right now. We'll have our hands full. We need to worry about us though, we gotta come out and compete both physically and mentally.

ID ZAGFAN
02-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Here's what I got from the Jan 31 Few Show, which was taped after the game at USF. Quick turnaround from losing a tough game to the taping of the show for Few and Heister. That was actually Heister's opener for the show, "Tough game tonight!" Few-We gave that team confidence early, some guys got rolling, and we missed those free throws in the first half. Then Lowhorn got hot. Heister noted lately it seems one guy from each of the past four opponents has gone off on the Zags, Bell from Pepperdine, Teel from LMU, Trasolini hits 4 threes and now Lowhorn, all guys who hurt you. Few's comment to this, what really bothered him was Moustapha getting 11. This was right after the game so there wasn't much time to prepare but Few said they had a guy averaging 2 and he got 11. Actually he (Mustahpa) averages about 6 but the point was made. Few said our post defense was terrible, blockouts were no good, and trying to save the ball under the USF basket (Gray's attempt) at the end is never a good play. Now we just gotta get home, play with some energy and fire. We've followed our previous losses with good efforts. USF was pressing and trapping and we just didn't have a great flow.

Fan question from Nancy in Boise. What has been the development of redshirts Sam Dower and David Stockton. Dower could have played this year, but we didn't think we could get enough minutes for both Dower and Kelly Olynyk. Dower has a soft touch, he's good around the rim. He never really lifted before he got here so he's been spending a lot of time with the weights and getting stronger. Stockton's shooting has improved, he has a good feel for the game but he need's to get stronger.

Next was a piece on team trainer Jennifer Nyland. She noted she did a little bit of trainer stuff in high school, liked it, and enrolled at WSU where there is a good trainer program. Upon graduation she worked at the community college level in Spokane for a bit, and then heard GU was hiring. She said she bugged Steve Delong, head trainer, every week for quite a while. He finally go tired of hearing from her so he hired her, at least that's her story. She worked with the crew team and a couple other sports and about six years ago she got on with basketball. She said the coaches bring in really great kids and she loves working with them, she hears all their stories, girlfriend problems and the like. She gets lots of call from trainers around the country to see how GU dealt with Morrison and his diabetes. On the road she is responsible for setting up the meals. They showed her with Matt and he said she helps calm my nerves, she's always there. She said my job is to take care of them whether they are first guy in or last guy on the bench. Of interest to me was the fact Matt has to get a big toe wrapped every game as he is battling "turf toe". Nyland noted you get to see the players grow up, you get to see how well they get along with each other and it's a lot of fun being part of NCAA wins. Don't recall which player she was working on but he said Sacre has to have his ankle wrapped just so, so it looks "pretty". Got a kick out of that.

Next was in interview with David and Sarah Michaelson regarding their part in the Coaches vs. Cancer campaign and Sarah's "I Believe" white out the Kennel T-shirt campaign. Sarah noted they have gotten letters and orders from everywhere, California, Oregon, Utah, Virginia, New Jersey pretty much from all over the USA. We think it's important that some day there is a cure for this disease. Few said we're making some gains in the battle against cancer. Our golf and gala event in Spokane every summer is one of the best in the country. I'm proud of the way Spokane has stepped up and supported this campaign. We're hoping Thursday night against Portland everyone has their white I Believe T-shirt on.

Regarding the week ahead only the Portland game was noted, nothing about Memphis. Few said the Pilots are battling for a top spot in the league, they're playing pretty good right now. We'll have our hands full. We need to worry about us though, we gotta come out and compete both physically and mentally.

I think that it was P-Maag.

ID ZAGFAN