PDA

View Full Version : The Fallout...

upan8th
01-31-2010, 09:40 PM
Do you ever wonder when "fallout" as a word first came into common usage? Anyone? Buhler? Anyone? Thought not; why would you? Okay, as you might guess, the word is not that old. Post nuclear I'm told. And what a wonderful word it's turned out to be. Some extrapolations from the term originally defined as, "the slow descent of minute particles of debris in the atmosphere following an explosion":

1. Zags must now fight it out with Northern Iowa for a ten seed in the tourney.

2. Zags "big three" burned out due to their coach's, well, "BURNING THEM OUT!"

3. The "cakewalk" (another terrific noun) is OVER!

4. Grant Gibbs is: a) clutch b) overmatched c) in limbo d) in love with a beautiful girl.

5. Few, (big sigh) can't coach...

6. OMG, KO's got what? A ten inch vertical? Can he dunk??!

7. From the Final Four to the NIT! You just watch!

Hey, just getting started. Feel free to add your own debris.:(

rawkmandale
01-31-2010, 10:05 PM
Fell from Number 13 to number 20 in Gary Parish's Power Rankings on cbssports.com

Expect similar 7 place drops in the standard polls.

No big deal, really. Just win the regular season WCC, and we're fine (I regard a 4 or 5 seed as fine). Even a WCC tournament loss would only cost a couple of seed lines. We'll be dancing if we achieve our 10th WCC regular season title.

MedZag
01-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Honestly, it hasn't been as bad around here as expected. Maybe I'm just desensitized from all the griping after wins.

Das Zagger
01-31-2010, 10:11 PM
Honestly, it hasn't been as bad around here as expected. Maybe I'm just desensitized from all the griping after wins.

LOL! Spot on, spot on.

I guess expect the absolute worst and be pleasantly surprised.

23dpg
01-31-2010, 10:31 PM
I think the Mods stepped up. Just a hunch.

alaskazagnut
01-31-2010, 11:35 PM

You are just "posting down to the level of your opponent".

TexasZagFan
02-01-2010, 08:22 AM
From upan8th:

2. Zags "big three" burned out due to their coach's, well, "BURNING THEM OUT!"

At this point in the season, it appears that the bench players are not giving the coaching staff reasons to give them more minutes during the game.

IMHO, the only players who have performed consistently well during the year are the Big Three. With the exception of Elias, the rest of the freshman and sophomores have been consistently inconsistent.

Knowing that we started the year with 9 players with no Division I experience, I think the team has accomplished far more than I expected: 17-4/6-1 (with 5 of the first 7 on the road), Maui Invitational, etc.

It's time for the rest of the team to step up:

Meech: play with more self-control, and hit your free throws.
Robert: use your physical strength and drive to the hoop more.
Kelly: don't get lost on defense and use your height around the hoop.
Bol/Manny/Grant: keep improving.
Will: free throws?

Rest of the team: work your butts off in practice, especially in those areas where the coaching staff sees deficiencies. Stay mentally ready...you're a turned ankle or a couple of ticky-tack fouls from being forced into action in an uncomfortable situation.

upan8th
02-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Johnny G said: "Upan8th did you come here expecting fallout? There (has been) little, if any. What gives?"

Oh there's been some, JG, (Reborn, the rock upon whom we've built the faith, in a critical mode?) just not the nuclear meltdowns as have sometimes been posted in the past after bad losses. Guess MedZag is right. It's all relative. The thread itself, you may note, is a (lame?) attempt at humor. Me, I'm not taking the Ws and Ls as worldshaking events the way I used to; just trying to enjoy the ride.

Virginia Zags Fan
02-01-2010, 10:58 AM
The loss hurts. No doubt, but I hate to say I kind of saw it coming with the way the team was playing after the SMC win. Lack of intensity, mental breakdowns, poor defense, etc. Someone was going to have a hot game and get us. Love the team, great guys, but they are 18-22 year olds who have girl friend issues or tough day in class, you get the point. This is going to happen from time to time. However, I am convinced that nobody is as upset as my mom and Mark Few.