PDA

View Full Version : Zig-Zag Path for SMC to NCAA's

Section 116
01-31-2010, 07:36 PM
Interesting piece from Gary Peterson, Contra Costa columnist in the San Jose Mercury News regarding SMC's chances at an NCAA berth. It comes as no surprise the Gaels best shot at an NCAA bid runs right through Spokane, Las Vegas and a necessary victory over the Zags:

http://www.mercurynews.com/columns/ci_14307240

sullyzag66
01-31-2010, 09:33 PM
At this point, I don't think Zags are a lock for a NCAA berth. They've still got wood to saw.

alaskazagnut
01-31-2010, 11:26 PM
We could lose 3 more games AND the championship game and still get in.

But unless our Zags play like every game is "walk the plank", the mental habits that go into that might not automatically turn on when it is required. To make matters worse, when we are way ahead, the habit is to slow down and mange the clock instead of continuing on for a 20 or 30 point win. Then the other guys make a run and we can't get the same momentum back again. Luckily, we usually hold on long enough to win by 5-8 and it looks like we just had a tough game. We were up by 10 against USF and we let them back in. Is there some mental barrier that doesn't allow us to get too far ahead. Does the coaching staff come in and make personnel changes to preserve wins rather than win by even more? What is it?

bigblahla
02-01-2010, 06:45 AM
SMC, see you real soon but not in the NCAA.

Bennett and the boys can only get there by beating us and that isn't in the cards.

Any scuttlebutt on his recruitment of the two players from USD? Mods or anyone?

Go!! Zags!!!

sullyzag66
02-01-2010, 08:19 AM

Bennett and the boys can only get there by beating us and that isn't in the cards.

Go!! Zags!!!
I read last week that they'll both be going to SMC. I don't think they can practice yet, but they're signed on for 2010-2011.

Das Zagger
02-01-2010, 12:24 PM
I read last week that they'll both be going to SMC. I don't think they can practice yet, but they're signed on for 2010-2011.

Rob Jones was enrolled at Diablo Valley JC, during the fall semester at least. He sat on the bench for home games. He will be eligible next year.

There was some other kid (Tremaine Johnson?), I don't know where he is at though.

MJGoGaels
02-01-2010, 02:37 PM

Go!! Zags!!!

I doubt we would both make it that far in the NCAA Tournament - so I agree that we won't see you either.

Not all the cards have been dealt, and that's why we play 'em. "The River".

Nothing to report but Rob Jones is a student-athlete at Saint Mary's College.

bigblahla
02-01-2010, 05:24 PM

In Vegas they will be and for the Gaels its off to the NIT. :D

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

lothar98zag
02-01-2010, 05:29 PM
I doubt we would both make it that far in the NCAA Tournament - so I agree that we won't see you either.

Nothing to report but Rob Jones is a student-athlete at Saint Mary's College.
I think SMC can make it to the NCAA w/o beating GU. It would mean SMC wins all but (most likely) 2 games the rest of the way.

I would like to see that hypothesis tested this year.