PDA

View Full Version : What do you do to ease the sting?

IslandZag
01-31-2010, 07:18 AM
Gonzaga has a great tradition of winning A LOT of games every season and as a result, when a loss comes, it tends to really smart. I am currently suffering from replaying Steven's haphazard rebound save to Lowhorn in my mind, over and over again.

So, I am wondering, what do you do after a loss by our beloved Zags? Do you have any particular post-loss rituals that help you “get over it?” I know that the generic answer to this question is, “forget about it, it is just a game,” but to many of us who read frequently and post religiously (I am, admittedly, in the former group, not the latter) I suspect that this is not that simple.

So I put forth the question to the greater GU board community, what do you do to help ease the pain?

mnzag24
01-31-2010, 07:30 AM
Early times whiskey and coke. altho last night it was Jameson

bartruff1
01-31-2010, 07:40 AM
The abuse of drugs and alcohol can offer temporary relief from pain... over the longer term, putting things in perspective and having realistic expectations is perhaps a better answer....what are they ? 17-4...not all bad.. if that doesn't work you can blame ...Few...Pargo.. Daye.....Josh....Meech....Sacre and on occasion Gray.....or the refs....or the target...or Ehlo...or UCLA.. or the chickens....don't kick the dog, it is not his fault..

75Zag
01-31-2010, 09:07 AM
Drinking is only a temporary solution if you quit drinking. If you don't quit, ....

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

baitcast
01-31-2010, 09:15 AM
My wife tells me I mumble a great deal,I can understand Duke but USF my god.mumble mumble mummmmm.
Rob in nowhere AZ.

IdahoZagFan
01-31-2010, 09:24 AM
For one thing, we try to adjust our expectations to make them more realistic. In the last few weeks, our expectations had really soared. We won't stop rooting for the team to win though.

For another thing, we are disappointed and we're sure that the team and the coaches are very disappointed. But we will continue to support them always.

Oh, and yes, we play with the dogs - it's good therapy!

ZagNative
01-31-2010, 09:35 AM
I don't know that I'd recommend my method, but in fact, this is pretty much my MO after a loss (other than a season-ending loss, which is a whole different ball game).

Say aloud, "Well, crap." For some reason, that's strangely cathartic to me. (After a really bad loss, I may substitute the s-word for the c-word.)

Internalize briefly. If I feel particularly horrible after a loss, I will likely wonder how the hell this game and this team became so damned important to me and how my values got so screwed up. On the other hand, if I don't feel horrible (as was the case with the USF loss), I may mull that over some.

Visit guboards and scan the front page and try to find some humor in the titles of the flurry of posts from the usual suspects who invariably come screaming in sideways with their hair on fire. (I try to resist the urge to peek inside the threads at this point, but I will click on the number of replies shown and smile to see other usual suspects who gravitate toward posts of a certain type.)

Google the web for early photos and copy and save the good ones and organize them into a game album

Check GoZags (http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/gonz-m-baskbl-sched.html) for information about the next game coming up, and if it's not going to be on KHQ/FNW, check the506.com (http://the506.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1264771609) to see who's going to be announding.
Portland @ Gonzaga, 11:00
ESPN2: Terry Gannon, Stephen Bardo

Google for good game reports, expecially those with player and coach quotes for their takes on what went wrong.

Move on to a happier topic, sch as recruiting.
I actually have done all those things since last night - except check on recruits. That's next. And I don't feel too horrible. Must be working.

xjzico
01-31-2010, 10:00 AM
Well, for this game, we turned off the television and then I went and helped set up a obstacle course for my girlfriends younger siblings to race and jump their remote control cars. Her dad wasn't too thrilled but we had a good time.

CB4
01-31-2010, 10:38 AM
What do we do to ease the sting? Come out firing against Portland and put up 100, don't stop playing. The rest of the year Gonzaga needs to play with a vengeance. They have to beat Memphis. Then, come back to the Kennel and show the separation that divides Gonzaga from the rest of the WCC -- blow out SD and SMC. Crush them, make it hurt. Then go down to SoCal and shut down Bell and Pepp and blow LMU out of their own house. Finally, they got Santa Clara and USF at home. Perfect, make them throw in the towel. This is how elite teams respond to terrible losses and it is also how Gonzaga will ease the sting.

gamagin
01-31-2010, 10:42 AM
What do we do to ease the sting? Come out firing against Portland and put up 100, don't stop playing. The rest of the year Gonzaga needs to play with a vengeance. They have to beat Memphis. Then, come back to the Kennel and show the separation that divides Gonzaga from the rest of the WCC -- blow out SD and SMC. Crush them, make it hurt. Then go down to SoCal and shut down Bell and Pepp and blow LMU out of their own house. Finally, they got Santa Clara and USF at home. Perfect, make them throw in the towel. This is how elite teams respond to terrible losses and it is also how Gonzaga will ease the sting.

Go TEAM Zags !

McZag
01-31-2010, 10:47 AM
Take it in stride. On the shock-o-meter this rates at about a 4 out of 10 on my scale.

I never expected this group to sweep the league, much less earn a top 15 ranking this year.

If our only conference loss is an OT loss at USF by 4 points, I'll be very impressed with our guys this year. We won very tough games at SMC and SCU. Two more tough ones await us at Pepp and LMU.

This loss will help us prepare for the second half of the season and help us finish strong-which is all that matters anyway.

Section 116
01-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Re Island Zag:

"I am currently suffering from replaying Steven's haphazard rebound save to Lowhorn in my mind, over and over again."

Gray said in the Sunday edition of the Spokesman-Review it was his intention to fling the ball into backcourt to run some time off the clock. In retrospect he said he should have heaved it high over his shoulder rather than attempting the line drive which, of course, ended up in Lowhorn's hands.

ZagNut08
01-31-2010, 12:44 PM
I try to remind myself that I would rather have the other team rush the court for beating us as opposed to having our fans rush the court for beating them...helps put things in perspective

Teams don't go undefeated, losses will happen.

zagzilla
01-31-2010, 01:45 PM
I am going to order a Mai Tai and jump in the ocean as soon as it gets too warm here on Poipu beach

Perspective. It's a good thng

ZZ

bballbeachbum
01-31-2010, 01:54 PM
Re Island Zag:

"I am currently suffering from replaying Steven's haphazard rebound save to Lowhorn in my mind, over and over again."

Gray said in the Sunday edition of the Spokesman-Review it was his intention to fling the ball into backcourt to run some time off the clock. In retrospect he said he should have heaved it high over his shoulder rather than attempting the line drive which, of course, ended up in Lowhorn's hands.

that play happened right in front of me, it was great effort to get that ball, and his intentions in that split second were fine, just mal-executed a bit. This type of thing all learn from so that the next time in that split second, the ball is heaved over the shoulders, and higher, without even thinking about it. would not have been horrible to take that ball out of bounds with him either, hindsight being 20/20 ;)

bballbeachbum
01-31-2010, 01:56 PM

+1, and some lite beers because they go down with less pain, and they do go down after games, win or lose

bartruff1
01-31-2010, 04:58 PM
Think how those fans at UCLA and North Carolina are suffering.....after losing all their starters from last year...

alaskazagnut
01-31-2010, 06:08 PM
It helps me vent and to come to grips with all the sides of the issue, not just mine. That is why this board is so great. It adds so much to my season that it actually helps take the sting off the horrible losses like last night.

Thanks all, I may disagree with some and come across as a negazag but I am a posizag all the way. I talk about both the good and the bad. And there is nothing negative about discussing respectfully how to be a good armchair coach.

adoptedzag
01-31-2010, 06:53 PM
What do you do to ease the sting?

Remember that it is just a game.

Ezag
01-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Know that #6 and #7 also went down, helps!