PDA

View Full Version : Our Achilles Heel

HillBillyZag
01-31-2010, 07:27 AM
As many others have pointed out, our biggest weakness seems to be poor free throw shooting and weak side (help) defense. on at least half a dozen occasions our defenders allowed the ball handler to get the angle, blow right around them, and there was no weak side help to prevent a score. And it was'nt only the freshmen, either, several of those leaving laundry on the hardwood were our veterans. As for the free throw shooting, it's a mystery to this fan how players who can shoot the lights out from thirty feet, have difficulty making a free throw. Win or lose, these particular bug-a-boos have been our problem all season. Last nite in in Frisco, it just caught up with us.
This is a very good, potentially a great, Gonzaga basketball team, but until this is fixed, every game will be an adventure. No one individual cost G.U. last nights loss, it was just the same old chickens coming home to roost. I still love this team though, and like our chances to advance in March.

BJZags
01-31-2010, 07:33 AM
I'd also like to add as a sometimes significant problem with Zag teams over the years is their inability to execute end-of-the-half/game offensive sets. While the out-of-bounds plays are often good and lead to baskets, the final second isolation plays where the guy with the ball waits until eight seconds and then "goes" hardly ever works.

roxdoc
01-31-2010, 08:29 AM
Pargo set the standard for the end of play muffs.

1973Zag
01-31-2010, 09:11 AM
BJ,I agree. maybe we should call a timeout so we can end the half on an inbounds play!

ZagNative
01-31-2010, 09:24 AM
As many others have pointed out, our biggest weakness seems to be poor free throw shooting and weak side (help) defense. on at least half a dozen occasions our defenders allowed the ball handler to get the angle, blow right around them, and there was no weak side help to prevent a score. And it was'nt only the freshmen, either, several of those leaving laundry on the hardwood were our veterans. As for the free throw shooting, it's a mystery to this fan how players who can shoot the lights out from thirty feet, have difficulty making a free throw. Win or lose, these particular bug-a-boos have been our problem all season. Last nite in in Frisco, it just caught up with us.
This is a very good, potentially a great, Gonzaga basketball team, but until this is fixed, every game will be an adventure. No one individual cost G.U. last nights loss, it was just the same old chickens coming home to roost. I still love this team though, and like our chances to advance in March.Good post, HBZ. Thanks.

75Zag
01-31-2010, 09:34 AM
Free throws were a problem. But when I read the box score this morning I see that our center had 2 rebounds, and our point guard had 1 assist. I am not aware of very many teams that can overcome those numbers, even with decent free throw shooting.

The sky is not falling, and hopefully GU will pick up a few wins in a row to restore our confidence.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

BroncoZAG615
01-31-2010, 09:48 AM
Free throws were a problem. But when I read the box score this morning I see that our center had 2 rebounds, and our point guard had 1 assist. I am not aware of very many teams that can overcome those numbers, even with decent free throw shooting.

The sky is not falling, and hopefully GU will pick up a few wins in a row to restore our confidence.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

I think it's time that we all realize that Demetri is a part time point guard. He runs the fast break but after made shots, Steven and Matt are the primary point men. They definitely were last night. Meech gets in trouble when he thinks and doesn't react. He had a few plays where he either could have put up a shot and opted to pass into traffic or he was to slow moving the ball and tried to force a drive. I really do think these are simple fixes and a lot of it is just confidence and faith in himself.

As for Rob, who knows. It's not just rebounds. It's overall effort both on offense and defense to create. The coaching staff can do everything in the world to spoon feed points to him but he's just got to get a little pissed and work for his shot or his rebound. He's such a physically imposing player that it is borderline criminal that he can't dominate teams like USF. Like Meech, I think his problems are fixable as he's also still relatively young but, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but maybe it is time for some sort of message from Few where we give Foster a few more minutes.

CB4
01-31-2010, 11:30 AM
Gonzaga's Achilles' heel is not showing up for conference games, thinking they can win with a 50% effort. A game like last night shouldn't come down to free throws. If GU shows up and plays with some intensity they win by 20.

CDC84
01-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Zags can't allow a terrible shooting team to go 47.4% from the field, and 45.8% from the 3 point line.

Ezag
01-31-2010, 08:22 PM
We did lack execution in many areas but just one, as HillbillyZag pointed out --Free Throws, would have won us the game. We have all known that it would get us one game and have a feeling it may come to haunt us even more in the tourney

Zag79
01-31-2010, 11:45 PM
I think it's time that we all realize that Demetri is a part time point guard. He runs the fast break but after made shots, Steven and Matt are the primary point men. They definitely were last night. Meech gets in trouble when he thinks and doesn't react. He had a few plays where he either could have put up a shot and opted to pass into traffic or he was to slow moving the ball and tried to force a drive. I really do think these are simple fixes and a lot of it is just confidence and faith in himself.

agreed. i think for the most part meech is playing ok. his assist numbers are not going to be that high, as he usually starts the offense. he brings the ball up and passes it off to bouldin or gray who really run the half court O. he only averages 2 TO's a game which by itself isnt that bad. i would like to see him take more shots when hes open, and just play without thinking. hes a pesky defender, and will be much needed against teams with a pg who is quick and would wear out matt. i think meech will be just fine.

As for Rob, who knows. It's not just rebounds. It's overall effort both on offense and defense to create. The coaching staff can do everything in the world to spoon feed points to him but he's just got to get a little pissed and work for his shot or his rebound. He's such a physically imposing player that it is borderline criminal that he can't dominate teams like USF. Like Meech, I think his problems are fixable as he's also still relatively young but, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but maybe it is time for some sort of message from Few where we give Foster a few more minutes.

rob is second on the team in rebounding, a team mind you that has great rebounding players at almost every position. add to it that if you really watch rob during the shot, he takes his man and boxes him out almost every time. then a fellow zag will come in and snag the board. doesnt help his stats, but its just as good. also, considering rob is 2nd on the team in points per shot (effiency) behind only elias, maybe its the lack of shots he gets as opposed to his own issues. team free throw shooting and team defense are the real issues with this team. meech and rob didnt lose the only conference game we have lost, gray and bouldin being in single digits scoring after 40 minutes, and the 2 other reasons i mentioned were.