PDA

View Full Version : Is Spokane still in reach?

westside-zagfan
01-31-2010, 12:48 AM
We took a big hit tonight no doubt about it. You can call this their one bad loss for the season. (losing to Michigan State, Duke or Wake Forest are not bad loses) The only thing about that is they still have half their conference schedule and their conference tournament left. So we can not lose again to play in spokane i'm guessing. We gotta man up now and take down St Marys, Portland and Memphis. They can also not drop the ball down in Cali again, or in vegas. If they win out I think they will still get to play in Spokane. If we can get to Spokane, the sweet 16 is gonna be as close to a cake walk as you can get in the ncaa's.

cbbfanatic
01-31-2010, 08:17 AM
spokane is going to be tough, i havent seen too many updated rpi projections this morning, but last nights loss will probably really hurt the zags in this area - on the s-curve. unfortunately, the ooc schedule just did not shape up to be nearly as tough as the names look. a lot of those teams have underperformed (Not GUs fault).

it will be an interesting case for the committee, because there surely wont be any teams in the region that are more deserving that could push the zags out (like their is in the mid atlantic - northeast with teams competing all year for certain pods) but the committee might also think that gu has not earned the priviledge of playing so close to home in round 1 and 2.

win out, and i'd say theres a chance, lose another and i dont see any way they get the reward of playing in spokane.

and in my opinion, last years s16 was as close to a cakewalk as it gets for GU.

NovaZag
01-31-2010, 08:22 AM
If they win out, I think they'll be seeded in Spokane. But we also need teams like Temple, BYU, Ohio State, Pitt, Tennessee to lose some more.

Sarenyon
01-31-2010, 08:53 AM
Win out for certain, Must beat Memphis next week!!!

We still might squeek in to Spokane if we lose in the WCC tourney final... as long as there is help from other teams across the nation.

Right now my biggest concern is winning the league. St. Marys is not going to be fun and Portland on Thursday is waiting. This second half of the league schedule has the potential to be very tough.

ZagNative
01-31-2010, 08:58 AM
After last night's results, our RPI dropped from 23 to 31 (http://statsheet.com/mcb/rankings/RPI).

zagzilla
01-31-2010, 09:16 AM
Still 3-3 vs rpi top 50 with Cincy holding at 48

Memphis is at 92 and is a potential top 100 win along with SMC as our last shot at a top 50 win.

need WSU to stick in top 100 too they are at 95 currently

if so we could be 7-3 vs top 100 (with another win vs SMC) which is pretty solid.

Don's RPI is 234 would be good if they could get below 200 somehow. Go Don's!

matty1090
01-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Great post, you just beat me too it. So is the only way to get tickets to the tourney in Spokane is to take a chance and buy them now, with the potential of GU not even playing here? Or will there still be tickets available come Selection Sunday. Is TicketsWest the best way to go? I used to get tickets through the school when I was a student, but Im not sure whats the best avenue to go through now. Any advice would be appreciated.

NotoriousZ
01-31-2010, 12:15 PM
and in my opinion, last years s16 was as close to a cakewalk as it gets for GU.

Trying to dimish our accomplishments are we? Well it was in Portland, and looking at the names on their jerseys (Akron and Western Kentucky) I suppose you could think it was a cakewalk. But those teams played inspired basketball and it took almost everything we had to advance. You sound a little bitter over UW's failure vs. Purdue. Not that it matters, but I think we would have beaten them also.

I do agree that we'd better win out to get the Spokane regional this year.

cbbfanatic
01-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Trying to dimish our accomplishments are we? Well it was in Portland, and looking at the names on their jerseys (Akron and Western Kentucky) I suppose you could think it was a cakewalk. But those teams played inspired basketball and it took almost everything we had to advance. You sound a little bitter over UW's failure vs. Purdue. Not that it matters, but I think we would have beaten them also.

I do agree that we'd better win out to get the Spokane regional this year.

not trying to diminish. the poster said something about spokane being a cakewalk to the s16, and i responded that i think it doesnt get any more cake walkey than last year. i know those two teams "played inspired," but this is the ncaa tournament we are talking about, everyone brings it. fact of the matter is, gu played 2 double digit seeds over which they had a HUGE talent advantage - and a significant home court-type advantage. as far as ncaa goes, thats a pretty light draw to the s16 for a 4 seed - not sure how debatable that is, to be honest.

not a bitter husky fan either. not sure how many more times i am going to have to say that - i guess anyone here who doesnt agree with the majority is a bitter husky fan, because afterall, there are only two types of people, gu fans, and bitter husky fans...

CDC84
01-31-2010, 02:50 PM
Win out. Plain and simple.

Ezag
01-31-2010, 07:25 PM
I hope so I am going to be working it and on the front line, so damn it boys--make it happen!;)

surfmonkey89
01-31-2010, 09:00 PM
It is, but we need to win every game to get to Spokane, and by then it's one-and-done.

For all intents and purposes our '10 tourney starts now.

rawkmandale
01-31-2010, 09:10 PM
I don't think winning out is necessary, but need to limit to just one more loss. There are 9 regular season games left, plus 1 or 2 in the WCC Tournament. We're 17-4 right now.

Winning 10, losing 1 makes us 27-5. Should be good for a 5 seed, or better, depending on other teams.

That's a fine season, folks.

NotoriousZ
02-01-2010, 07:40 PM
not trying to diminish. the poster said something about spokane being a cakewalk to the s16, and i responded that i think it doesnt get any more cake walkey than last year. i know those two teams "played inspired," but this is the ncaa tournament we are talking about, everyone brings it. fact of the matter is, gu played 2 double digit seeds over which they had a HUGE talent advantage - and a significant home court-type advantage. as far as ncaa goes, thats a pretty light draw to the s16 for a 4 seed - not sure how debatable that is, to be honest.

not a bitter husky fan either. not sure how many more times i am going to have to say that - i guess anyone here who doesnt agree with the majority is a bitter husky fan, because afterall, there are only two types of people, gu fans, and bitter husky fans...

No worries cbbfanatic, I must admit that I was still bitter over our lackluster performance vs. USF when I typed that up. However, you've slammed GU pretty hard many times before here (although not as hard as I've slammed UW, but rightly or wrongly that's to be expected on GUBoards). Anyway I'm feeling much better now because I think the Zags will bring the effing intensity from here on out and get in the Spokane regional.